Hi, I've been playing guitar about 2months, so I'm beginner.
All I wanna ask you is that which one is right position in the picture?
first one is like holding the neck. I tried this position but it's pretty difficult to press
fourth, fifth, and sixth fret.

help me.. and my english may be not fluent. cause I'm not native speaker!
Last edited by Jominun at Jan 26, 2012,
Both are, do whatever one feels more comfortable, although most people use the position where the thumb is about in the middle of the neck, its all about preference
The 2nd way is very bad. It'll injure your wrist in the long run. You should do the 1st one but with thumb in the middle of the neck. Only the tips of you fingers should be touching the string. To stop yourself from holding up the neck, rest on your legs at a slightly more angled position.
the neck should sit in that crease in between your thumb and first finger. your thumb should press in top half of the neck.

EDIT: this does also depend on the size of the neck and the size of your hand.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Last edited by rocknroll93 at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by itamar100
The 2nd way is very bad. It'll injure your wrist in the long run. You should do the 1st one but with thumb in the middle of the neck. Only the tips of you fingers should be touching the string. To stop yourself from holding up the neck, rest on your legs at a slightly more angled position.

+1

Here is a great overview of all the "Dont´s"

http://pbguitarstudio.com/pdf_files/GUITAR_PDF/Bad%20Technique%20Page.pdf
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 26, 2012,
When I play I use both grip. The first picture with the thumb up I play mostly rythmic things and when I come to the lead section i switch over to the second grip with the thumb in the middle for better tone (in my case.)

so you should just try which feels best for you or as in my case you can use them both.
Quote by kenny12345
When I play I use both grip. The first picture with the thumb up I play mostly rythmic things and when I come to the lead section i switch over to the second grip with the thumb in the middle for better tone (in my case.)

so you should just try which feels best for you or as in my case you can use them both.

Well, it's a really bad habit. Your wrist should always stay level with the rest of you arm.
You'll see players hold the guitar with many different variations. Sure, holding a guitar low looks cool, but can be killer on your wrist.

While there are complex chords and stretches that will cause the hand to alter it's shape, in general, keep your wrist as straight as possible. Reason: your carpal tunnel run through your wrist, excessive pressure by bending the wrist can lead to injury.

One of the best ways to keep a straight wrist is to use a foot stool and hold your guitar in the "classical" position. I prefer this, because it is very similar to the position of your guitar when standing.

For the thumb, sure it can be wrapped around the neck for basic first position chords, but for barre chords and most scale passages, you'll have to drop your thumb so that it's positioned in the middle of the back of the neck, typically behind your middle (2nd) finger.
Whatever feels best is the answer, though you would be better off learning "proper" technique, since you're a beginner you won't learn any "bad" habits and might save yourself from other problems further down the line.
Quote by itamar100
The 2nd way is very bad. It'll injure your wrist in the long run...

For real! I have pretty bad wrist pain because I started playing like this. Just hold the neck and feel which way feels the most natural for you! If it hurts alot, you're probably doing it wrong. There's bound to be some uncomfortability if you're a beginner, but shouldn't be excruciating!
Cheers and good luck!
Satellites+Stars
Quote by itamar100
Well, it's a really bad habit. Your wrist should always stay level with the rest of you arm.

been playing for 11 years and my wrist is fine

I also might add that i hold the guitar in the classic way (and with the left foot higher then the right) so it's really not a problem
Last edited by kenny12345 at Jan 27, 2012,
I find that my wrist is more like the 2nd picture when in the lower frets but whenever I get to the 10th fret and onwards, my thumbs over the neck like the first 1 picture.

It's incredibly uncomfortable and awkward for me if I have to put my thumb over the neck in the lower frets.