I don't think I was specific enough in my previous thread, so I'll do better this time.

Budget? - I'd like to spend like £100 or less as this is just a practice amp.

Genres? - lots of Jazz, Blues, Psychedelic Rock, "60's rock", shoegaze, postrock, etc

New or Used? - Either, really. New would be nice as I could order it sooner, but not fussy.

Home or Gig? - Home.

Closest City? - I live in London

Current Gear? - epiphone DOT, bunch of pedals.

I was getting suggestions for like £500 amps before, when I really want to spend a fifth of that on a tiny amp for my room whilst I'm at uni. I would also like built-in reverb.
yep
Quote by Dan_5893
Vox Pathfinder 15R.

This is one of the ones I was considering. It's worth going for, then?
yep
I've seen people gig with them and they sound pretty good. If you're running pedals, the cleans are decent. They're probably one of the better SS Practice amps in your price range.

If you wanted a modeller you could get a VT20 for a little bit over your budget (going by Andertons pricing). That will cover everything you could possibly want and the VTs aren't bad amps.
Quote by Dan_5893
I've seen people gig with them and they sound pretty good. If you're running pedals, the cleans are decent. They're probably one of the better SS Practice amps in your price range.

If you wanted a modeller you could get a VT20 for a little bit over your budget (going by Andertons pricing). That will cover everything you could possibly want and the VTs aren't bad amps.

In terms of sound alone, like ignoring the wattage, which of the two amps would be a wiser choice? Is the VT20 a nicer sounding amp than the 15R? Or is it like when you buy a keyboard with a million sounds and only 2 of them are usable?
yep
I used to own a VT15 (the old version of the VT20) and it was definitely a versatile amp. Everything on there is usable but you need to tweak it a bit to make it sound how you want it. Depends on the music you play too. You may not use many of the high gain settings if you get the VT20 for blues for instance. You won't use your pedalboard as much with the VT20.

The 15R is more of a one trick pony. It's supposed to be a solid state version of a classic Voxy sound. It will do all the genres you listed especially if you're using pedals for dirt/fuzz/whatever.

Play them both if you can and decide. If you want a lot of versatility get the VT20. If you want something simple that will do the job you want it to do, you may find the 15R better.
im thinking go for a vox. but im thinking a used night train. those are sexy.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
My only concern on the 15R is the negative reviews on UG itself. People saying it's noisy and full of faults. This could be due to bad batches, but I dunno..
yep
The VT20 looks like an awesome amp. I've seen them as low as £125, so they aren't too far above your budget.

The best advice is always to get to a store and try them though. No matter how many reviews you read or how many demo videos you watch, nothing can replace the experience of actually getting your hands on one and playing with it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The VT20+ is the correct name for the VT20. People have just dropped the "+" off the end for brevity.

I have a VT20+. Love it to bits. Can't say much about the high gain stuff as I don't use it, but up to a JCM800 it's great.
Quote by deano_l
The VT20+ is the correct name for the VT20. People have just dropped the "+" off the end for brevity.

I have a VT20+. Love it to bits. Can't say much about the high gain stuff as I don't use it, but up to a JCM800 it's great.

Well, I doubt I'll ever be playing metal on it anyway. Any loud breakdowns will be just fine with my big muff.
yep
Quote by deano_l
The VT20+ is the correct name for the VT20. People have just dropped the "+" off the end for brevity

Not just brevity, with me it was sheer laziness
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well, I decided on the VT20+ in the end, but then I saw that for another couple quid you can get the 40+ and decided to raise my budget a bit...

Thing is, there are a lot of decent amps at the £150 pricepoint. I will probably buy new. Can anyone give me some recommendations, or should I stick with the VT? I'm really considering the AC4TV...but if I just want a basic Vox sound, shouldn't I go ahead and get the cheaper pathfinder? Bear in mind this won't be gigged, this is my practice amp.

Built in reverb would be nice.
yep
Last edited by kaneorsomething at Jan 27, 2012,
The AC4TV sounds miles better than the Pathfinder and the VT20/40+. However, it is more expensive, and doesn't have the built in reverb.

They're introducing a new version with a proper Vox tonestack, and an AC30 preamp rather than the AC4 preamp, which means it will have a lot more balls. Not sure how far away they are though, and not sure on price either.
Quote by Dan_5893
The AC4TV sounds miles better than the Pathfinder and the VT20/40+. However, it is more expensive, and doesn't have the built in reverb.

They're introducing a new version with a proper Vox tonestack, and an AC30 preamp rather than the AC4 preamp, which means it will have a lot more balls. Not sure how far away they are though, and not sure on price either.

(Everything this man says ^^) +1

Isn't the new version with the top boost only though? And the "regular" AC4 would be the normal channel.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I can get you a Vypyr 15 shipped new for £95.

Brand new and boxed.

If your interested, PM me.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb