I'm 16 and i live in sydney australia. Ever since i started playing and reading guitars, i've heard all these stories about people finding great deals at pawn shops for guitars. Like 500-600 guitars for 50-200 dollars. I seriously have never seen any. the ones which did have guitars were shitty chinese knockoffs. So my questions is WHERE ARE THESE PAWN SHOPS. give me names where you guys landed some neat deals.

sincerely
one very confused teen
It's a matter of luck and timing.

I tend to stop at pawnshops whenever I have the spare time. I have a lot of different interests and I can find a lot of good stuff at a pawnshop.

But the really great deals are rare, remember, then pawnshop is in the business of making money, and they tend to be experts at what something is worth. The internet has actually made it easier for them and harder for their customers because they can look up the value of something and know exactly what they have.

So the simple answer is keep trying. You may get lucky and find a beat up old '64 les paul for a few hundred dollars that the pawnshop owner just didn't recognize.
I believe pawn shops with amazing deals are a thing of the past. With modern technology it's so easy to look up the value of something and set a price. I found this true when I was on a synthesizer hunt a few years ago. Anything of value is usually priced about what you expect a normal person to sell it at. I usually checked out guitars as well when I was in shops and usually they were only super cheap if they were low end or had a few dinges in them.
In Brisbane we have Cash Converters which is a second hand store chain and I go round to one of their stores to check out what they got and usually its absolute crap. Mainly 'Freedom' guitars and crappy beginners guitars so like your low end Strat squires with shitty Mettalica stickers plastered all over it, esp m-10's, and jackson dinkys...though occasionlly you might find a decent guitar but their well overpriced.
If you want to look for a guitar that's well priced try Ebay, thats where i've bought the last 5 guitars i own
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by fretshredda
I'm 16 and i live in sydney australia. Ever since i started playing and reading guitars, i've heard all these stories about people finding great deals at pawn shops for guitars. Like 500-600 guitars for 50-200 dollars. I seriously have never seen any. the ones which did have guitars were shitty chinese knockoffs. So my questions is WHERE ARE THESE PAWN SHOPS. give me names where you guys landed some neat deals.

sincerely
one very confused teen

The guys bragging about it got lucky and knew what to look for.

it's much more difficult to find underpriced gems because of the internet. Any pawn shop dude can go to ebay or guitar centers used section and find out what he's got and price appropriately.