atm i have a fender hss. Im looking for a gibson sg or a les paul. Probably trade in the hss.

I hear the 60 resissue p90 sg is good for classic rock. But i want a nice think chrunchy tone think.
slash
jimmy page
black sabeth
eddie money
bad company
the who
tha cars

Or a epipone i dont care i got about 800 to spare. not counting what id get for my fender mex

please give me some ideas
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
there is a new humbucker equiped version of that LP out now so you might want to look into one of those. the pups are then best but the guitar itself is decent.
The Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute with humbuckers has awesome looks, decent tone (and with a change of pickups, awesome tone) and good build quality and feel and is in your price range.
Check out if you can score a Gibson BFG Les Paul. They're sexy as hell and I hear they're supposed to be killer rock axes. They're still in production, too, but the finishes are kind of limited. There's also a tremolo version out, but I don't think tremolos have a place on an LP.

As for SG's.... If I could choose any SG out there, I'd have a Gibson Voodoo SG. They're getting quite hard to find, though. I'm not sure how much they sound like classic SG's, either, as they have swamp ash bodies in stead of an SG's normal mahogany body.

There's always the Gibson Les Paul Studio, too - might not be as fancy as LP standard or custom, but there's loads of professional, even big-time guitar players who swear by them. I also think that studios beat many other LP's in mojo by a mile!
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by gregs1020
well not $300 trade in, can you sell it on craigslist for $300?

is it your only guitar?

edit: not a gibson, but damn... http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/2817649264.html

DAMN with gold pickup cover and knobs that thing would look amazing. I only ever hear great things about them too.
Edit: and it's only $800 and comes with EMGs (you could sell them and make back $100)
Last edited by itamar100 at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by itamar100
DAMN with gold pickup cover and knobs that thing would look amazing. I only ever hear great things about them too.

yea that could be a really nice guitar. i think he may have a tough time getting $800 but it's a quality guitar build. edwards are really nice in most cases.
Pickups and amp will give you a particular sound more than the guitar itself. You have an HSS. Why not swap out the pups (at least the bucker) to one that provides the sound you want. I understand though. GAS is probably kicking in, or a Gibson style body is more your thing.

I have premo ESP Eclipse II for sale if youre interested.
Les Paul Studio 50's tribute, either with humbuckers or p90's. But if you ask me, I'd go for P90 one and load in Dimarzio P90 humbuckers. If you ask me, P90 Super Distortion DP209 would be better then gibson's 498T humbucker. Just my idea.
P90's shouldn't really cause you a problem, a couple of the bands you listed have used SG's with P90's at some point.
It's the descission between the SG or the LP really. You really need to play them both, they do really feel very different, which I would think would make more difference to you, I know it does me.
Quote by cemges
Les Paul Studio 50's tribute, either with humbuckers or p90's. But if you ask me, I'd go for P90 one and load in Dimarzio P90 humbuckers. If you ask me, P90 Super Distortion DP209 would be better then gibson's 498T humbucker. Just my idea.

So why not just replace the humbucker instead of reduce his tonal options.
yes the fender is my only guitar besides my taylor. Id like a lp but i think they might be just to heavy. SO i might stick with a sg for lightness. but still want that heavy sound. Or not sell my fender and just get another guitar. That way i have both.

go a little cheap and get a used stuido faded or a sg

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Don't get the idea that all LP's are super heavy. Most are chambered now. I have the original 60's tribute, before the darkback, and it wieghs less then my Squier strat. . The difference between the faded and standard is basically just the finish. I would personally get the 50's tribute.I think humbuggies would be a good call for you. Faded LP's, or a used studio could be options too.
im sure you could find a used gibson lp studio for around $800-1000 in good condition.

post a "wanted to buy" ad on your local craigslist.
Quote by redandwhite12
Don't get the idea that all LP's are super heavy. Most are chambered now. I have the original 60's tribute, before the darkback, and it wieghs less then my Squier strat. . The difference between the faded and standard is basically just the finish. I would personally get the 50's tribute.I think humbuggies would be a good call for you. Faded LP's, or a used studio could be options too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-50-s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar-with-Humbucker-Pickups-107282907-i2172124.gc this looks HOT> IM IN LOVE> Can this do classic rock and modern? The pickups?

good find i cant even pick a color LOL i dont want black.. I like the gold top and honey burst.

whast the diff between the p90 and humbucker?

i can get 127 bucks off a new one if i get it by jan 30

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by redandwhite12
Don't get the idea that all LP's are super heavy. Most are chambered now. I have the original 60's tribute, before the darkback, and it wieghs less then my Squier strat.

Not necessarily most of them are chambered. Most of the Studio models are, but the rest of them aren't the vast majority of the time.

But yeah, you can get a LP Studio Faded for $800 brand new. I'm not a huge fan of the pickups, but it's actually a pretty solid guitar for the price. The SG Faded is less.. $700. The chambered LPs aren't really all that heavy like the post I quoted says. But they still have a bigger sound than the SG.

The 60s Tributes for $850 are excellent for the price.. but the P90s are pretty much one-trick ponies IMO.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
Not necessarily most of them are chambered. Most of the Studio models are, but the rest of them aren't the vast majority of the time.

But yeah, you can get a LP Studio Faded for $800 brand new. I'm not a huge fan of the pickups, but it's actually a pretty solid guitar for the price. The SG Faded is less.. $700. The chambered LPs aren't really all that heavy like the post I quoted says. But they still have a bigger sound than the SG.

The 60s Tributes for $850 are excellent for the price.. but the P90s are pretty much one-trick ponies IMO.

what about the 50's tribute?
isd the necck fat like a reg les or skinny like a strat?

also i play more late 60 70 and 80 and current. Y woiuld i get a 50 trib? Would it sound off?

and the 60 trib has p90?
what to do?

i have a mim strat mabey trade it in for a american made one?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by silly6-string

Whether or not you can hit a certain sound has more to do with your amp than guitar.

Personally I'd go with one of the higher end epiphones. The Gibson studio line is not that impressive IMO. It's their "entry level" guitar... though many of them still cost twice what you'd pay for an equivalent epi. I have a gibson LP studio, and it's a great guitar. Is it worth the $1,300 I paid for it? Meh. It's definitely not $700 better then my old epi, but I had already sold the epi like an idiot.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by silly6-string
what about the 50's tribute?
isd the necck fat like a reg les or skinny like a strat?

also i play more late 60 70 and 80 and current. Y woiuld i get a 50 trib? Would it sound off?

and the 60 trib has p90?
what to do?

i have a mim strat mabey trade it in for a american made one?

50s Tribute has humbuckers and a chambered body. Nice guitar. The 60s have a thinner neck profile and P90s. Also chambered. Neither will be as thin as a Strat neck, but the 60s Tribute will be closest.

I'd personally go the 50s Tribute route because I'm not a huge P90 guy for harder stuff. You'll definitely get a thicker sound with the humbuckers. Up to you man. If you can go try them out, definitely do that.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
50s Tribute has humbuckers and a chambered body. Nice guitar. The 60s have a thinner neck profile and P90s. Also chambered. Neither will be as thin as a Strat neck, but the 60s Tribute will be closest.

I'd personally go the 50s Tribute route because I'm not a huge P90 guy for harder stuff. You'll definitely get a thicker sound with the humbuckers. Up to you man. If you can go try them out, definitely do that.

He could just swap the pickups for P90-sized humbuckers or get some high-output P90s. The metal-P90s Bareknuckle makes can do metal just fine, the clips I heard so far sounded great.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Dimarzio Super Distortion Soapbar is a humbucker just made in size of p90. It is not an actual P90. Just a little smaller with soapbar cover. But same Super Distortion (Just loss of a little output by reducing size)