Hey guys. I've written a riff that lasts for 5 and a half beats. When repeated, this forms, as you will know, 11 beats, so it should be 11/8. However, in context, the riff is played 3 times round, which would make counting it somewhat complicated what would it be? 11/8 + 5.5/8? Which time signature is this in, and why? Pieces have been in time signatures like this before albeit rarely, but I'm not sure. It's probably 11/8, but i want to be sure.

Thanks for your time, guys.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
11/16 would be the obvious choice, no?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
11/16 would be the obvious choice, no?
I don't know. I'm not very good at this. Just working with what I know.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
11/16 is a bit clunky, but yeah, that's probably the cleanest way to write it without seeing the context. or 11/8 with all the note lengths doubled and the tempo halved.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
It's impossible to answer without hearing the riff so as to grasp the context of things.
For example it might be your intention to shift the emphasis of the strong and weak beats of the riff from bar to bar, which may mean you leave it in an even signature such as 4/4.

It may be you intention to have the 'one' of the riff fall on the first beat each time it comes full circle, therefore requiring a different signature such as 11/16.
Just like molecules beats can't be decimal numbers.
But if you look to it as in relationships,
You get 5,5/8 multiply both by 2 11/16 22/32 etc.
11/16 would be most practical but if you got feeling for the counting you can pretend it's 5 times eight notes + 1 sixteenth.