So I am gunna be playing a song to get in to a music school next week as part of an audition. But the song is in Eb. I want to put it up to E if possible? I will be playing along with the song.

This is just cuz I have to play other things in standard tuning and it'll make my life easier. Can you do this?
Yes, I can.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

How are you playing along to the song? It's easy enough to pitch shift an audio file.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
You just play it exactly the same way, itll just sound darker
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Download Audacity, import file, Effects > Change pitch. Select Eb as the original and then E as the one you want it changed to. Then click OK!
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
So I am gunna be playing a song to get in to a music school next week as part of an audition. But the song is in Eb. I want to put it up to E if possible? I will be playing along with the song.

This is just cuz I have to play other things in standard tuning and it'll make my life easier. Can you do this?

What's the song? Do you have a tab of it?
If you want to play the original song, but half a tune higher, keep your guitar tuned normal and just play exactly as the tab says. It'll sound less dark, higher.

Otherwise just use a capo on the first fret if the guitar is tuned down.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by leony03
Download Audacity, import file, Effects > Change pitch. Select Eb as the original and then E as the one you want it changed to. Then click OK!

Ok, I did this. It seems to have made a difference but it still sounds out of tune. My guitar is tuned perfectly so it's not that. The song is Highway to Hell by AC/DC.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Ok, I did this. It seems to have made a difference but it still sounds out of tune. My guitar is tuned perfectly so it's not that. The song is Highway to Hell by AC/DC.

Get Guitar Pro.

Get the Tab.

Change the tuning on the guitar track in GP.

The tab will change for you.

Play the new version.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by RetroGunslinger
You just play it exactly the same way, itll just sound darker

Not sure if serious
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
As I said before, if you're auditioning, play it in the original key. It's not difficult, and the other players are not going to accommodate your needs.

*Shrugs* It's easier to play it down a step.
What guitar do you have? If it doesnt have a locking nut and floyd rose, it might just be easier to tune down to Eb. It doesnt take any time at all
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
If you want to be a professional musician, I'd suggest you either tune your guitar down or play the piece as it is.

There is alot of music in Eb.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Nevermind I saw the song. Lots of older recordings actually sound flat compared to what the band really played because the recording equipment was still not that great. Van Halen 1 is a good example.

I know for a fact AC/DC tunes to Eb for live shows now. They did for one of their older tours too. Vocalists age...and their voice starts to go...

For an audition I'd try to be faithful to whatever it was written in. Bring an extra guitar. Or play your other songs half a step up in Eb tuning.

Or you can risk saying "well AC/DC plays everything in Eb now, so..."
Last edited by BlackVoid at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by blake1221
Tune to Eb > capo on first fret for E standard songs, take it off for Highway.

I keep my guitar in Eb in general because doing this is so much easier than changing tunings, and songs written in Eb tuning just don't sound right in standard.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Just pitch the backing track up a semitone.

Nobody will notice, and nobody would care either
Quote by rjdusa
I keep my guitar in Eb in general because doing this is so much easier than changing tunings, and songs written in Eb tuning just don't sound right in standard.

Drop D > adjust to tuning > play mostly everything just fine
IDK if it's been said.
Your problem is AC/DC don't tune to E standard OR Eb. It should be exactly in between, 430 on the tuner
Make it faster, speed the song up, change the key and modulate the pitch byplaying it slightly faster.

What was once an Eb flat recording sped up will be a Standard E one.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by BlackVoid
Nevermind I saw the song. Lots of older recordings actually sound flat compared to what the band really played because the recording equipment was still not that great. Van Halen 1 is a good example.

I know for a fact AC/DC tunes to Eb for live shows now. They did for one of their older tours too. Vocalists age...and their voice starts to go...

For an audition I'd try to be faithful to whatever it was written in. Bring an extra guitar. Or play your other songs half a step up in Eb tuning.

Or you can risk saying "well AC/DC plays everything in Eb now, so..."

What's stopping you from buying a tuner, or bringing one to a gig? The difference in intonation when tuning between Eb and E is minimal.
I agree with whoever said that, because it is an audition, you should play it in the original key. It may reflect poorly on you if they see that you had to step up or down for ease.

Also, an AC/DC song for an audition? I've never heard of that. It's typically classical or jazz styles. Interesting, though.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Buck's Student
What's stopping you from buying a tuner, or bringing one to a gig? The difference in intonation when tuning between Eb and E is minimal.

Maybe he has a floating bridge, but if he doesn't then you are right.
Quote by ironman1478
Maybe he has a floating bridge.

I assume that he doesn't if he doesn't say anything about having one. Even in that case, the difference is minimal depending on the guitar.
Not to be a douche, but if you try to get into a music school you should be able to figure it out yourself.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Quote by BlackVoid

Yeah, just chiming in to point out that this isn't true - if an old recording sounds flat it's because the engineer wasn't paying attention and let the tape machine slow down at some point in the tracking process/had it playing back at the wrong speed during the mixdown or because the band actually played flat compared to the typical performance of it.

Tape slowing down causes the pitch to drop, and conversely the tape speeding up raises the pitch - the rest of the equipment as nothing to do with that, and it is pretty obvious when tape flutters in speed because it fluctuates rather than just slipping to a speed it wasn't set to.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Penn100
Not to be a douche, but if you try to get into a music school you should be able to figure it out yourself.

Not to be a douche, but half the threads on this site could have this exact answer.

There's nothing wrong with seeking some guidance if you're not sure about theory.
Quote by leony03

This.
AC/DC's high way to hell album is played in a slightly flat standard tuning. It's noticable in standard, and less noticable in Eb standard, but still very audible. Just tune your friggin hardtail and do a little intonating, it's not that hard
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Last edited by bastards at Jan 26, 2012,