I like a lot of post hardcore music. I play covers often, and im in a band where we play a lot of dance gavin dance songs. Ive been playing on a squire with a dan electrode "Cool Cat Metal" Pedal. Very basic. A band member takes care of the amps and such, i dont know much about producing the sound. So ive been playing for about 8 months, and im in the market for a new guitar. What kind of guitar would be good for Hardcore Punk Generes? Things like SWS, Dance Gavin Dance, Of Mice and Men....our screamer is a fry screamer. I tend to use more major, bright rhythms like In Second And Sebring. We normally have one dark breakdown in a song. The other breakdown is normally kind of bright sounding/major. Any suggestions on what guitar models would be good for this kind of playing? My budget is a max of 500$

....Thanks for the sarcastic comments. Theyre really appreciated...
Last edited by JESSEUMOETTE at Jan 26, 2012,
^this.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
It'd be easier to make a list of guitars that are NOT good for punk genres.

...none.

Anything that works.

Pawnshops are your local guitar centers and you replace stickers rather than replace pickups.

A great strategy is to buy 10 really cheap guitars. Smash one up per gig.

10 guitars will equate to 10 gigs.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Anything that works.

Pawnshops are your local guitar centers and you replace stickers rather than replace pickups.

A great strategy is to buy 10 really cheap guitars. Smash one up per gig.

10 guitars will equate to 10 gigs.

Quote by halfj06
What is the squire? what dosent it do for you?

Strat
I want a more harsh tone
post hardcore is usually at its best with a telecaster through a high gain amp.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by JESSEUMOETTE
Strat
I want a more harsh tone

Well the most cost effective thing to do would convert your strat to an HH pickup setup.. dragonfire makes cheap ones with huge output for under $40..
Buy the cheapest guitar you can find at a pawn shop and spend the rest on speed
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Then I hate to say it... But what you really need is a new amp.

It's actually only funny when it's a serious suggestion.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Last edited by LazyLatinoRocke at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by kangaxxter
Buy the cheapest guitar you can find at a pawn shop and spend the rest on speed

lmao, thats punk!
Whatever guitar is around=punk rock guitar
Guitar you bought cause its a "punk rock guitar"=post hardcore
You want more of a harsh sound? Just use your bridge pickup. Adjust the gain til you desire, and raise the volume til you feel its loud enough, then raise it more.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Agile 3000 - 3010 - 3200 ... ( les paul copy ) are all wonderful guitar for the money .. for 400 $ you get a great guitar .

www.rondomusic.com

* i hate the bad reputation that punk rock have " play whatever is around , buy 10 cheap guitar and smash them " nobody cares anyway .

Can you tell honestly 1 professionnal punk rock bands that play crappy instruments . cause i dont

Nofx : les paul and other gibsons into mesa boogie mark III ( for melvins ) and mesa boogie mark IV for (elfes)

lagwagon : les paul into mesa dual rectifier , marshall jcm 900 sl-x etc..

bad religion , green day and name 300000 punk rock bands .. they all play through quality
i cant recall any single pop punk or punk rock bands that play crappy instrument . and smashing guitar is for wannabe .

get a good guitar and a good amp and stick with it for your whole career . thats "punk" .. Nofx have been using the same mesa boogie since the early 90's if not 80's .. now thats an investment cause their mesa boogie mark ( III and IV ) are built like tank . same for many other punk rock artists .

my suggestion .. an Agile 3000 series with a good high gain tube amp .. and your set .. thats the beauty of punk .. few effect needs .. only a good distortion . as for amp .. The Engl Thunder is a wonderful barebone basic 3 channel high gain amp . marshall jcm 900 , mesa dual /triple recto and many other are good .

stop trying to be punk by smashing your guitar or covering it with sticker . nobody cares about that anymore .

good guitar + good amp .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 26, 2012,
Go with any cheap Ibanez, it'll pretty much be what you're looking for

Personally though, I'm not a big Ibanez fan. But that'll probably be the best thing for you and within your price range.

And I'd call those band post-hardcore/metalcore, I think you kind of missed the mark by calling them hardcore punk
Quote by Orryn
It seems we don't ship products to where you are located. Perhaps if you make your way to our office in Somalia, we would be able to work something out.

Regardless of whether you come or not, we thank you for your bank details and cooperation.
Quote by Skysc
* i hate the bad reputation that punk rock have " play whatever is around , buy 10 cheap guitar and smash them " nobody cares anyway .

Can you tell honestly 1 professionnal punk rock bands that play crappy instruments . cause i dont

Nofx : les paul and other gibsons into mesa boogie mark III ( for melvins ) and mesa boogie mark IV for (elfes)

lagwagon : les paul into mesa dual rectifier , marshall jcm 900 sl-x etc..

bad religion , green day and name 300000 punk rock bands .. they all play through quality
i cant recall any single pop punk or punk rock bands that play crappy instrument . and smashing guitar is for wannabe .

get a good guitar and a good amp and stick with it for your whole career . thats "punk" .. Nofx have been using the same mesa boogie since the early 90's if not 80's .. now thats an investment cause their mesa boogie mark ( III and IV ) are built like tank . same for many other punk rock artists .

my suggestion .. an Agile 3000 series with a good high gain tube amp .. and your set .. thats the beauty of punk .. few effect needs .. only a good distortion . as for amp .. The Engl Thunder is a wonderful barebone basic 3 channel high gain amp . marshall jcm 900 , mesa dual /triple recto and many other are good .

stop trying to be punk by smashing your guitar or covering it with sticker . nobody cares about that anymore .

good guitar + good amp .

Not really. I think the whole 'reputation' of punk is part of its appeal. Its liberation at its finest. Its fun. Its rebellious against all those other bands who spend tens of thousands on gear. Its fun to break shit. Who gives a fuck about what's on the headstock if people are enjoying themselves? It doesn't make punk a lesser genre. Its entertaining in its own right. The idea of punk is that its raw and simple. Its not about having boutique amps and guitars. Music never is at the end of the day.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
no music never is .. but buying crappy gear on purpose wont make you more "punk" . a good guitar and a good amp are worth their penny .

i know punk is not being boutique .. thats why i suggest Agile .. cause you dont pay for the name , you pay for the component /quality of the guitar . at 425 $ for a agile 3000 , you pretty much have the best guitar in that price range for that style of music . No i wouldnt suggest a 3000 $ gibson les paul for punk or a boutique Dr Z ... punk was about the attitude and not the gear . You use whats available .. so Engl , Mesa boogie , Marhsalls etc. are common popular amp . But if soemone were to use a Dr Z .. they wouldnt be less punk .

you shouldnt play a squier bullet in a crappy line 6 spider on purpose to be more "punk" .. that will only make your sound crappy .

any touring punk rock bands have use good amp .. nobody play with crappy amp . doesnt have to be a boutique Wizard head at 5000 $ thehead .. but a crappy solid state vypyr 75 wont do the job for a serious musician .

get a good guitar and a good amp . and your set .

if punk is about liberation .. then how come you ask people what to use ??? use what you think is best .. wanna play an explorer for punk .. go on , theyre no rule against that .

My point is playing crappy gear , smashing guitars , jumping both feet on your pedals doesnt make you more punk .. your just another loser brat kids who think hes punk . thats pathetic . like a hip-hop wanna gangstah who think hes a real gangstah cause he wear a fake gold chain with a big fake $ sign .

funny how some people think they are different ( and yet follow everyone else trends , tattos , piericng etc.. ) or spend their life thinking they are "against the rule and freespirit " when they are in fact like everyone else .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 26, 2012,
If you wanna be really punk, don't be in a band with a screamer and breakdowns, most of the bands sound the same.

But you can honestly use any guitar for punk, so long as you have a good amp. El Hefe of NOFX uses a Telecaster. I'd recommend a Fender Black Top Telecaster or anything with P90s.
Quote by ccannon1
If you wanna be really punk, don't be in a band with a screamer and breakdowns, most of the bands sound the same.

But you can honestly use any guitar for punk, so long as you have a good amp. El Hefe of NOFX uses a Telecaster. I'd recommend a Fender Black Top Telecaster or anything with P90s.

+1

although blacktop strat or hss strat and switch the humbucker .. BUT imo an Agile 3100 would be even better than those . the quality of that guitar for 400 $ really surprising .. it will blow away many mexican strat/tele for sure . I say that as a u.s.a strat owner . mexican strat are good , but IMO the quality of the guitar of Agile 3000 series really make it the best for the price . and for punk /hardcore etc.. Les paul have more balls than a stratocaster hss . the strat is a brighter guitar .. les paul have that beefy tone a strat doesnt have .

and P90 .. im sorry but they just dont cut it for palmuting 16x powerchords .. a p90 have no balls at all .. you need something that handle great heavy rythm palmuting . i hate p-90 perosnally .. specially for punk rock .

but again the amp is really where it will make the difference .

and ... i dont wanna generalize here .. but ive always see stratocaster / telecaster for pop punk ( green day ( dookie era ) sum 41 , punchline , simple plan , blink 182 sounds) for their brighter tone and les paul more for heavyer punk rock like No use for a name , lagwagon etc..

Les paul have some balls that a strat just doesnt .

but again theres no better guitar .. go Ibanez etc.. or what you feel like .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by Skysc
+1

although blacktop strat or hss strat and switch the humbucker .. BUT imo an Agile 3100 would be even better than those . the quality of that guitar for 400 $ really surprising .. it will blow away many mexican strat/tele for sure . I say that as a u.s.a strat owner . mexican strat are good , but IMO the quality of the guitar of Agile 3000 series really make it the best for the price . and for punk /hardcore etc.. Les paul have more balls than a stratocaster hss . the strat is a brighter guitar .. les paul have that beefy tone a strat doesnt have .

and P90 .. im sorry but they just dont cut it for palmuting 16x powerchords .. a p90 have no balls at all .. you need something that handle great heavy rythm palmuting . i hate p-90 perosnally .. specially for punk rock .

but again the amp is really where it will make the difference .

and ... i dont wanna generalize here .. but ive always see stratocaster / telecaster for pop punk ( green day ( dookie era ) sum 41 , punchline , simple plan , blink 182 sounds) for their brighter tone and les paul more for heavyer punk rock like No use for a name , lagwagon etc..

Les paul have some balls that a strat just doesnt .

but again theres no better guitar .. go Ibanez etc.. or what you feel like .

post hardcore guitar tone doesn't really have balls. it has a raw open kinda tone. p 90s would be a perfect match. the balls come from the bass.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
http://youtu.be/lvKjGnApeZE

both guitars on that track are an SG Jr, shows that P90's are actually good for heavier music. They sound downright mean.

EDIT: Black Top Strats and Teles are both HH equipped, so I don't know what you meant about switch out for humbuckers
Last edited by ccannon1 at Jan 27, 2012,
If you want to play hardcore, you first have to stop playing dance gavin dance and of mice and men.
I saw many people using P90's for any kind of rock and else. They are pretty good. With an overdrive and a nice distortion, (a nice valve or solid state amp can cast that, as well as some boss pedals), they are very tasty to play.

Edit: Btw I saw many people using an Ibanez NDM2 with p90's for that. I don't know it's price, but some guitar like that loaded with Seymour Duncan P_Rails and separate coil tapping or the SD mounting rig would give you a very nice sound. (Btw that's just an idea, can be bad too!)
Last edited by cemges at Jan 27, 2012,