Hey guys,

One of my friends is having a anniversary for 5 years in are band so I thought it would be cool to buy him a multiple effects unit since he needs one and they are pretty cool

I have narrowed the choices down to 2 main units: the Line 6 PODHD300 and the Boss GT-10

I need the best unit that can get the closest tones to the following bands:
Metallica, Megadeth, Gary Moore, Ozzy Osbourne (RR era), Van Halen, AC/DC, Queen, RHCP, and such...

I know this is quite a lot of criteria but this is the music he plays so...
One more thing I forgot to mention, we LOVE the rock marshall tone like in the intro to Rock U like a hurricane by scorpions or Guns n roses type crunch tones.

So please anyone who has had any experience with either unit and knows that they can produce they's types of tones, please give your opinion and do state why.

Thanks a hell of a lot guys!
I got a GT10 and sometimes run it through a Mustang III for some gigs.. and that thing roars if you can set it up. If you need amp modellings however, go with Pod definitely. GT-10 is a beast 'Effect' processor.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
I got a GT10 and sometimes run it through a Mustang III for some gigs.. and that thing roars if you can set it up. If you need amp modellings however, go with Pod definitely. GT-10 is a beast 'Effect' processor.

Thanks for the advice but that seriously didnt take me anywhere further, you didnt quite answer my question but still thanks for the comment
From my experience line 6 have much better distortion than boss mfx units and the cleans are pretty good too. I think id get the line 6
Quote by itamar100
From my experience line 6 have much better distortion than boss mfx units and the cleans are pretty good too. I think id get the line 6

Cheers dude
ok let me rephrase. I can get following tones easily:
Anything acoustic (either with piezo on my ebmm or with acoustic setting on the GT-10)
Late Metallica tones (Beyond magnetic/Death magnetic)
Not so old Metallica tones (I couldnt get AJFA tone easily.. managed to get near it, but i didn't play with my GT-10 that much)
Punk tone (Like Blink-182)
Exact same tone from Stevie Ray Vaughan
David Gilmoure lead tone on comfortably numb.

Things it's great at:
That delay. OMG that delay is awesome.
Acoustic generator
Harmonizer
Looper
other shitloads of effects it has

What's bad:
Distortion
First 10 days

What is it good for?
Driving over it. It's sturdy like a monster truck. it's a piece of metal. Nothing will ever happen to it.

Why to get it?
You need SHITLOADS of GOOD effects in one stop? Gt10.
You need distortion and amp models? Pod.

all this is run through a 4 cabled mustang III (bypassed pre-amp, just using it as speaker output, so 100% clean.)
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
ok let me rephrase. I can get following tones easily:
Anything acoustic (either with piezo on my ebmm or with acoustic setting on the GT-10)
Late Metallica tones (Beyond magnetic/Death magnetic)
Not so old Metallica tones (I couldnt get AJFA tone easily.. managed to get near it, but i didn't play with my GT-10 that much)
Punk tone (Like Blink-182)
Exact same tone from Stevie Ray Vaughan
David Gilmoure lead tone on comfortably numb.

Things it's great at:
That delay. OMG that delay is awesome.
Acoustic generator
Harmonizer
Looper
other shitloads of effects it has

What's bad:
Distortion
First 10 days

What is it good for?
Driving over it. It's sturdy like a monster truck. it's a piece of metal. Nothing will ever happen to it.

Why to get it?
You need SHITLOADS of GOOD effects in one stop? Gt10.
You need distortion and amp models? Pod.

all this is run through a 4 cabled mustang III (bypassed pre-amp, just using it as speaker output, so 100% clean.)

Now thats some good advice! thanks for the help man, I gues im gonna go with the pod after all, KEEP ROCKING!
I had a look at al the videos on youtube on the pod hd300 and nearly all of them seem shit and crap so I just want to make sure that it will be a good purchase and not just a random waste of money, so anyone please help!
I have a Line6 POD X3 LIVE. Love it. The effects, modeling, custom tones, dual-tone capability, and usb recording ability are all great. Sounds excellent for rock, metal, death metal, etc.
Are you looking to use amp models, or just FX? If you need models, go POD. If you just need FX, go GT.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Are you looking to use amp models, or just FX? If you need models, go POD. If you just need FX, go GT.

This is the long and short of it.

+1
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
From a POD HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPS3OMgSOhE

The Boss unit has some nice effects, but I don't think it sounds nearly as good. Especially if you want to do any recordings. Can't go wrong with either, but I prefer the POD.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex