Do you like your guitar?
Ever been sad for buying it? Did it fail you any time?
Are you being satisfied?
Does it worth modyfying and, are they flexible with ESP LH-150 humbuckers?
Did you modify it, if did, how?
You suggest them and think they are worth buying?

Just a general research about people's thought on ESP LTD's low end series. The ones that use ALH-200, LH-150 or LS-120 pickups.
Construction quality is pretty good, but I don't care for those pickups. Or basswood. Or bolt-ons.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
MY LTD-MH50

Bought MH-50 second hand, good cond. 4yrs later (playing 5 times a week) its still same as when I bought it (aside from large sticker covering up a crack as my friend droped it on floor). I fine tune strings once a month and generally find only 1 string gets slightly out of tune..in a month. Floyd rose reproduction pretty good, fun to play with, doesnt mess up your tuning or anything.

Ok so a year after purchase I bought seymour duncans, distortion and jazz humbuckers. Made minimal difference to stock pickups, slightly less background noise, neck pickup an improvement but bridge sounds pretty much the same. So I bought pocket pod, that makes alot more difference to your sound, why bother changing pickups I dont know, and I wont do it again.

4 years i done - change strings, pickups, action (string height), truss rod adjust, also removed string from the back think I got 2 left there. So pretty much everything. Considering it was my 2nd guitar, and first floyd, and first guitar I actually did anything on other than change strings, it withstood my amateur tinkering very well. Still play on same strings from 1 and a half years ago.

Bad points - tuner knob doesnt do shit, volume knob is like either 100% volume then nothing nothing then 20% volume when you turn. Also its pretty heavy.

Once I get a job I'l probably buy some pro guitar, I know it wont sound any different but I play so much I might as well get a new one.

Stan. UK
Last edited by venom1stas at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
I don't care for those pickups. Or basswood. Or bolt-ons.

Purely a matter of opinion here, as I see it that if Steve Vai is satisfied with having his Jems made out of basswood, with bolt-on construction, they can't be the poorest choices available.

That said, I still don't like the lower end Ltd's - I know it's stupid, but I hate it how they just look so darn cheap, with their lack of binding, unimaginitive finishes and overall look. There was a time when stuff like that never bothered me at all, but I guess I'm just becoming snobbier as time goes by.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I'd get at least a LTD with the number 400 in its name, those are good
Quote by venom1stas
I know it wont sound any different but I play so much I might as well get a new one.

Right off the bat, I'm not bashing your guitar, but I can guarantee that you WILL notice an improvement in sound, assuming that the guitar you get is a high-end one. I don't know if it's all in my head, either, but having played a lot of cheap guitars and a lot of high-end guitars, I think that the high-end ones just tend to feel more solid and refined, in a way that only comes apparent after having one, playing with it for some time, and then comparing an average budget guitar with it.

And just to make it clear: I don't mean that every guitar with a $200 price tag is automatically shit and every guitar with a $2000 tag is a piece of a god. The differences are often supple and hard to describe in words, but I feel that in many cases they make up for enough to justify the price.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
MH 50 NT I've had it for a year now and recently installed some irongear pick ups, rolling mill and a hot slag.
For £50 for the pair i am very happy, vast improvement in tone.

The guitar is not great but decent for a first instrument and value for money. It stays in tune well, sets up decent and has durable finish.

No complaints for £190 new.

I am saving for an ec-1000 but will keep the MH 50 for a second guitar.
I love my MiK M-10. The thin-U neck turned out to be my favorite neck even though i never thought that i would find my feel from a "shred" style guitar. A lot of necks hurt/cramp my wrist. Snagged it at a pawn shop and the overall feel of the guitar is why i bought it. It's light and sits comfy with a strap. The hybrid gibson/fender bridge style is great. Jumbo frets are ok, wish it had regular...but maybe thats why it feels so good. Nothing feels cheap on it to me. A lot of bolt on guitars kind of feel like that anyway..at least compared to a set neck or neck thru. The weight might give that impression too.

Stock pickups were ok, had a good lead guitar type tone. Replaced them with GFS crunchy pats. I actually want to get the M-15 and also another neck to put on a mahagony body or tele body, but the basswood sounds ok to me. Will probably be the best guitar i've ever bought for the money....to me anyways
I've had my Sambora model (which I believe is meant to be the equivalent of the LTD 200 and 330 lines) for a while now, it's held up fine. The bridge pickup was nothing special but not utterly useless; the neck pickup was terrible though, and since I like odd wiring on my guitars I ended up swapping out both pickups anyway. The neck is really nice and the Floyd Rose Special has yet to fail me in any regard. The pickup selector switch is a horrible clicky cheap one, but that's to be expected and it does its job. No issue with the control pots, though they are mini pots so I don't have much faith they'll last too long - luckily I'm someone who doesn't actually use his controls much, so they've yet to wear although the neck volume has become a little scratchy.

My only real complaint with it is the cheap basswood body. Yes, basswood can be a good wood sometimes... when you buy the expensive stuff. Clearly, LTDs are not going to be made of the good basswood. A whole LTD guitar can cost the same as a blank slab of very good basswood so that goes to show how cheap the wood inside them is. It doesn't help that the guitar is excessively routed, it's practically semi-hollow since everything under the pickguard is routed out, even where it clearly doesn't need to be. It makes the guitar very loud acoustically and it is prone to feedback. It's a shame because the neck and neck heel are damn near as perfect as you can get with a bolt-on, but the body is so poorly made.

All-in-all, I trust ESP and considering how affordable the lower end LTDs are, I don't really hold their problems against them. I still would never buy one of the 50 series, but the 400/350s are fantastic, the 1000s are as solid as you could want and the other LTDs are... well, good enough, considering the price.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I just bought a jh-200 for 130.00 so far i like it. i dig the kahler way better than i thought i would
I had an M100FM for a few months and I thought it was awesome. Trem wasn't the best but it did the job. Can't tell you about the original pickups though as I got mine used and the previous owner had put EMGs (81/85 I think) in there.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by Jyrgen
I'd get at least a LTD with the number 400 in its name, those are good

+1

ive play/own Ex-50 and m-50 and after Ex-400 and m-1000 .. night and day difference , better finish , better construction , better playability , just a better overall .. they cant be compared .

400 and up ( 1000/deluxe ) are made in korea and usually are far superior in everything than the lower indonesia series .

Ltd = awesome in the 400 + series .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
I didn't like the alexi 200 I had but it wasn't because of any clear fault of the instrument. It just wasn't my taste.
The EC-100 I had as a go to beater was a pretty solid guitar. Not the best sound by any means but it was solid and reliable and had a good feel to it. The fret's were a bit jagged so right out of the box I had to take a file to them but that's not exactly an exclusive problem with ltd's.
The FX-260SM I had was an outstanding guitar for what it cost new. Comfortable to play, sounded good, "good" wood used for the body etc.
Now the fault in the body wood was that while it was mahogany it was a frankenstein'd mess of bits and pieces that had a paper thin veneer on the back to hide it. At first glance you probably wouldn't notice but if you picked it up and flipped it around it was clear as day.
I'd say the best low end LTD I had was an F-250 even though it was an agathis body neck through with a licensed floyd. It played and sounded the best and in general just felt like it was produced to a higher standard of quality than the rest.

All in all they're as good as anything else in their price range, a better guitar than some but mostly about what you'd expect for a entry level guitar but my personal opinion is that the older MIK and MIC ones were better than the current vietnam and indonesia lineup.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Don't know why so many ignorant people hate on Basswood for no reason. There's a reason why guys like John Petrucci, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani play guitars made out of it.
Quote by griffin888
Don't know why so many ignorant people hate on Basswood for no reason. There's a reason why guys like John Petrucci, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani play guitars made out of it.

its not just a obut basswood . play an esp ex-400 and and esp -ex .. it snot only the basswood body.. its the whole guitar .

the basswood of a cheap indonesia LTD vs the basswood of a fender cusotm shop is not the same quality .

cheaper guitar are bolt-on .. fender cusotm shop are bolt on .. does that made bolt-on crappy . not by itself .. but the bolt on of a fender custom shop isnt the same quality as a company who try to saved cost with affordable fabrication .

ltd = 400 and + ... 1000 serie is the best . under that its cheaper , made in indonesia , chaper material , cheaper pickup , bridg e, nut , tuners etc.. .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by griffin888
Because they aren't playing on the same basswood that cheap guitars are made from.

There is more to wood than simply the name of the species. There are something like 22 different woods that can be called ''mahogany'', but that doesn't mean they all sound, feel, weigh and look like the mahogany used in '50s Gibsons. Ash comes in many forms and the one a Fender Standard Telecaster might be made from can be entirely different in tone and quality to the one that a Squier Telecaster might be made from.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
my first guitar was an ltd mh 50. i put some seymour duncans in it eventually. its an alright guitar for learning and everything but after having nicer guitars i can notice more flaws about it that i didn't see before.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
You can get an Schecter Diamond Demon 6 FR for arround 400 bucks and they are pretty good...
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Purely a matter of opinion here, as I see it that if Steve Vai is satisfied with having his Jems made out of basswood, with bolt-on construction, they can't be the poorest choices available.

That said, I still don't like the lower end Ltd's - I know it's stupid, but I hate it how they just look so darn cheap, with their lack of binding, unimaginitive finishes and overall look. There was a time when stuff like that never bothered me at all, but I guess I'm just becoming snobbier as time goes by.

The two basswood are slightly different. Ibanez uses the high quality one, while ltld uses low end one. It is like the difference between hard maple and light maple.
Quote by venom1stas
MY LTD-MH50

Bought MH-50 second hand, good cond. 4yrs later (playing 5 times a week) its still same as when I bought it (aside from large sticker covering up a crack as my friend droped it on floor). I fine tune strings once a month and generally find only 1 string gets slightly out of tune..in a month. Floyd rose reproduction pretty good, fun to play with, doesnt mess up your tuning or anything.

Ok so a year after purchase I bought seymour duncans, distortion and jazz humbuckers. Made minimal difference to stock pickups, slightly less background noise, neck pickup an improvement but bridge sounds pretty much the same. So I bought pocket pod, that makes alot more difference to your sound, why bother changing pickups I dont know, and I wont do it again.

4 years i done - change strings, pickups, action (string height), truss rod adjust, also removed string from the back think I got 2 left there. So pretty much everything. Considering it was my 2nd guitar, and first floyd, and first guitar I actually did anything on other than change strings, it withstood my amateur tinkering very well. Still play on same strings from 1 and a half years ago.

Bad points - tuner knob doesnt do shit, volume knob is like either 100% volume then nothing nothing then 20% volume when you turn. Also its pretty heavy.

Once I get a job I'l probably buy some pro guitar, I know it wont sound any different but I play so much I might as well get a new one.

Stan. UK

The reason you noticed no difference changing pickups, and won't with another guitar, is that you are using a Line 6 amp. Every guitar sounds the same through a Line 6.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
The reason you noticed no difference changing pickups, and won't with another guitar, is that you are using a Line 6 amp. Every guitar sounds the same through a Line 6.

Right, but you can understand it trough a simple valve or tube amp. Marshall AVT's distortion channel or either a blackstar would show the difference for mostly that duncan distortion. On a real amp, the pickups is combined with tube or valve, so the pickup drives the amp. On line 6, there's no analog distortion, so that pickup output won't change characteristic of the preset amp modelling.
I had a V-50 for a while.

The pickups were surprisingly good. I say this a bit, but the LH-150's are the best "stock" pickups I've every played.

The guitar itself was pretty good, except for one thing - the frets on mine were unfinished, so that was pretty disappointing. One of the few things I don't know how to do myself, unfortunately. I ended up selling it, because I just hate the way block bolt on heels feel. Bolt on LTD's have a pretty archaic heel.

If the heel doesn't bother you, and you get one with good frets, they're decent guitars for the price. Not as good as Ibanez in my experience, though.

I get tired of saying this, but LTD numbers vary by year. Using a blanket "400+ models are good" is not accurate.

In general, 300+ are the "higher end" models. Only the 1000 models are made in Korea now, everything else is made in Indonesia, China or Vietnam. Models made after 2006 tend to be not as good as models made before then. LTD started using lower quality woods, and payed less attention to QC.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 28, 2012,
Ibanez uses higher quality baswood, it is very different when compared to others, and neck job is a little better, thinner. There's sometimes a little walnut in neck, which makes it durable. But I don't know, I mean LTD has a different feel. But one thing is for sure, if Metallica didn't use ESP guitars, they'd probably not even producing guitars, and if they were, it wouldnt be better then cort. Metallica makes ESP that good i think.
Quote by cemges
But one thing is for sure, if Metallica didn't use ESP guitars, they'd probably not even producing guitars, and if they were, it wouldnt be better then cort. Metallica makes ESP that good i think.

Is this guy for real?
Quote by griffin888
Is this guy for real?

I really hope he's trolling.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
These are words of a guy in the official ESP store.

I forgot '''' Was kidding with him.
Last edited by cemges at Jan 28, 2012,
I have an ESP eclipse and i like it a lot but i guess its not a LTD. I was little disappointed with the action, i thought that it would be able to go much lower, but oh well.
Quote by Any7423

Hang on so to notice sound change on my £200 guitar, as well as buying new pickups worth £120, I need new (better?) amp than Line 6, worth another £200?
Doesnt make sense
Quote by cemges
The two basswood are slightly different. Ibanez uses the high quality one, while ltld uses low end one. It is like the difference between hard maple and light maple.

Quote by cemges
Ibanez uses higher quality baswood, it is very different when compared to others, and neck job is a little better, thinner. There's sometimes a little walnut in neck, which makes it durable.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Please stop, because spreading misinformation doesn't help and only serves to confuse people.

Ibanez does not use a higher quality basswood.... except in their higher quality guitars. The basswood they use on their cheap guitars is going to be the same as the cheap basswood used on LTDs, some Schecters, whatever. The good quality basswood Ibanez use on their high-end guitars is the same as the high quality basswood that ESP use on their better guitars, that Carvin use, that Warmoth use.

Wood quality is not exclusive to brand. It is exclusive to budget. You buy a cheap guitar, you're getting bad wood. Regardless of brand. You buy a high-end guitar and you're going to be getting good quality wood. That's what that boils down to.

Second, there is no such thing as "light maple", other than some random pieces of rock ('hard') maple may weigh a little less than others. What you're thinking of is 'soft maple', which is the name given to many of the sub-species of maple that are used for flame, quilt and birdseye tops.

The 'neck job' being "better" is also completely subjective and in no way definitive opinion. What makes a neck good for one person may make it horrible for another person. People who like thick necks think Ibanez necks are utterly terrible; people who like Ibanez necks think thick ones are awful. There is no ''better'' in this sense.

As for the use of walnut, the way Ibanez use it rarely improves durability. Walnut needs a finish just like maple, by itself it's no tougher than maple is. Walnut is often used for the 'skunk stripe' and for other plugs needed when installing certain types of truss rod in particular ways, but these plugs offer nothing different in the way of stability or tone. Walnut is often used as stripes for laminated necks since it offers visual contrast, though agian it won't make the neck any stronger or alter the tone in any way compared to if the neck was a simple all-maple laminate.
MH-50. Bought it for 550 NZD. And every moment i've played on it i've never regretted that money spent
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-50
Boss ME-70
Dunlop GCB95(Red Fasel)
Ibanez RG8BK
PodHD300

Rest Easy Gooze

Quote by jpnyc
I once used a Jackson V to play Wildwood Flower. The ghosts of Randy Rhoads and Mother Maybelle Carter made my walls bleed for a week.
Quote by venom1stas
Hang on so to notice sound change on my £200 guitar, as well as buying new pickups worth £120, I need new (better?) amp than Line 6, worth another £200?
Doesnt make sense

Yeah, it does.
Not liking the sound of basswood doesn't make me a snob. I prefer mahogany. So what.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner