Well finally got my first tube head last week and after reading through the manual and finding no warnings about playing it without a load decided to try it out by linking the preamp out into my pc for use with impulses (I have a 2x12 at home, but where I'm currently staying I cant really make much noise). It seemed to work fine with no real problems but I have since read that using it without a speaker load can fry the transformer.
Needless to say I wont be using it without a load again but I'm just wondering if damage to the transformer would deteriorate the sound or whether it would just pack in if fried ?

Disliking being a noob
Quote by Cutlass_253
Me: Why haven't we had sex yet?
My Girlfriend: We have...
Me: Oh...right...
My Girlfriend: Who the **** did you think you were talking to
Me: Gotta go, bye!

this game is lame.
wtf u were running the head through your pc, does it give u software or what? man after doing some research i would say take it in and just have it checked out the fuses may be blown and if it reads 0 ohms u r out of luck i believe. could have got a vox combo. r u sure it was turned on properly and just set up okay?
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
wtf u were running the head through your pc, does it give u software or what? man after doing some research i would say take it in and just have it checked out the fuses may be blown and if it reads 0 ohms u r out of luck i believe. could have got a vox combo. r u sure it was turned on properly and just set up okay?

wat?

TS, NEVER run a head without a load, ever. Run it through your 2x12, make sure it still works.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
nah, was running it though a soundcard through an impulse lol, didnt notice any damage in the sound quality, I only found this out after unplugging it and letting it cool off, not been touched since. Getting it PAT tested on Tuesday though so hopefully that should yield some results
Quote by Cutlass_253
Me: Why haven't we had sex yet?
My Girlfriend: We have...
Me: Oh...right...
My Girlfriend: Who the **** did you think you were talking to
Me: Gotta go, bye!

this game is lame.
Quote by defective13
Well finally got my first tube head last week and after reading through the manual and finding no warnings about playing it without a load decided to try it out by linking the preamp out into my pc for use with impulses (I have a 2x12 at home, but where I'm currently staying I cant really make much noise). It seemed to work fine with no real problems but I have since read that using it without a speaker load can fry the transformer.
Needless to say I wont be using it without a load again but I'm just wondering if damage to the transformer would deteriorate the sound or whether it would just pack in if fried ?

Disliking being a noob

Plug into cab.

Does it work?

If yes quit worrying.

If not take to tech.

End of story.

Good luck.

***Thought....isn't an open circuit infinite impedance(assuming no quarter wave problems)? Would seem to meet the minimum criteria? ***
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
***Thought....isn't an open circuit infinite impedance(assuming no quarter wave problems)? Would seem to meet the minimum criteria? ***

Yes, but it's also a bit over the maximum impedance criteria.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
TS - I run mine to the PC all the time and use impulses. (But i leave the speakers connected!) haha.. You dont have to have it up loud to get a preamp signal out.
Quote by Arby911

True, but I believe it's the opposite for tube amps. higher than nominal resistance means the OT works harder. Therefore, wouldn't infinite resistance eventually damage the OT?

Here's how I do it, when I need no volume, but still want to record with IR's:

Amp preamp out to DI box
DI XLR out to sound card
DI 1/4" out to Cheapo Ebay fxloop master volume box
Master volume box back to amp return.

Turn it down all the way using the mastervolume box.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Jan 26, 2012,
^ that looks much safer to me

But

Since he is going preamp out - there is no real signal going into the power amp section.

what Arby said is right though, plug it into a cab normally and tell us what happens (after matching ohms of course)
You have no idea how lucky you are. Don't ever do that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ that looks much safer to me

But

Since he is going preamp out - there is no real signal going into the power amp section.

what Arby said is right though, plug it into a cab normally and tell us what happens (after matching ohms of course)

I forgot it's an FX loop send. Sometimes I get it mixed up with the line out feature some amps have, that doesn't cut the signal to the poweramp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Offworld92
You have no idea how lucky you are. Don't ever do that.

This. You are very lucky to have not fried your output transformer. NEVER, EVER run a head with no speakers attached, especially a tube head.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Last edited by jukejointjohnny at Jan 27, 2012,
^ The dangerous aspect of this is playing your guitar into an amp head normally with no load attached. Just turning the amp head on or even using the preamp out doesn't necessarily cause damage. It is when a signal is sent through the power section and then has no where to go is what is dangerous.

Generally though, I agree with you guys - it is just safer and easier to say Don't Do It !