So the time has come where I feel I want to change from my trusty old Taylor 110.

It's not that I don't like the Taylor so much there's just a few things that I would like in my next guitar.

Firstly I want an all solid guitar. The Taylor has sapele laminate back and sides which is fine sonically for now but I get the impression that this is 'it' if you get me for this guitar. I don't think the guitar is going to mature at all.

I'm primarily an electric guitar player, but as I've gotten into writing proper songs recently I'm drawn more to playing out chord progressions (and melodies) on an acoustic guitar (or piano) so I'm looking to invest in this portion of my setup.

In terms of my electric setup I've invested a lot of time and effort into honing in on my sound, and now have a nice rig and I feel my acoustic guitar now needs to catch-up.

When I bought the Taylor I knew very little about acoustic guitars and bought it because it sounded good, was well-priced, and was from a 'trusted' brand. This is all still true but I feel I need to progress on to something else now that I will really enjoy writing songs on.

I like the brightness of the Taylor's high-end but I feel the lower end is a bit lacking. On that basis I went out and tried a few guitars with Mahogany and Rosewood backs and sides thinking that this would be a step in the right direction.

The guitars I liked didn't necessarily correspond with what I was expecting.

I loved the Martin D-28 and the Gibson hummingbird. I also really liked the Gibson SJ200 which is a completely different animal. I also tried a Taylor 314 which was nice but felt like a better version of the same kind of thing.

However I'm looking to spend around £1000-£1500 and so the Gibsons are out of budget.

I also tried some orchestra model guitars because I find the shape attractive and comfortable. The ones I tried were a range from the Martin OM catalogue, and also a Larrivee OM1 (might be wrong on what that's called). None of the Martins, even with their heavy price tag, grabbed me. The Larrivee was nice but as the store was closing I didn't have enough time to give it a thorough going over.

So at the end of the day I'm somewhat as lost as when I started. I'm not certain of which shape guitar will best suit my needs, and though I went in thinking I wanted a Mahogany back/sides or all-hog guitar, my experience has left me questioning what it is I want.

I know that's a bit of a stinker to drop in a recommendations thread but I would seriously appreciate some guidance from people who know what they're talking about on here.

The main thing is £1000-£1500ish
All solid
Have a nice low end/be a little bassy as I play some blues, but also good for strumming and fingerpicking. Nothing too bottom heavy. I like how the Gibson hummingbird was very well balanced at both ends and would probably seek something like that (but more affordable).

Perhaps a good all-rounder guitar?

Thanks in advance for your help, if you have any.
Nix
Last edited by Duv at Jan 26, 2012,
u should go with a gibson probably, if u want a feel of an electric u could go ovation, personally i don't like them. kind of weird because i am going to buy a tobacco sunburst 214 ce.......i think. Rainsong guitars are cool and check out guild.
all taylors are bright - it has nothing to do with the wood; it's a characteristic of the brand. if you want to spend this much, i hope you find the time to get out there and play, as you'll want a guitar with a tone you really like. i actually prefer blueridge to martin until you hit the high price ranges. guild makes some very nice guitars - great value, high gloss finishes, meticulous builds, and they sound good. you might also want to look at used gibsons, and if you can find eastman guitars where you are, definitely try some - they're sweet! and spend more time with the larrivee - they're very well made guitars.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Cheers for the input guys

Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
u should go with a gibson probably, if u want a feel of an electric u could go ovation, personally i don't like them. kind of weird because i am going to buy a tobacco sunburst 214 ce.......i think. Rainsong guitars are cool and check out guild.

I'm not necessarily looking for the feel of an electric. I quite like how acoustics feel compared to their electric brothers.

I do want to check out some Guilds as well though. The two shops around me only seem to hold Martin/Taylor/Gibson and then a few 'others'.

Quote by patticake
all taylors are bright - it has nothing to do with the wood; it's a characteristic of the brand. if you want to spend this much, i hope you find the time to get out there and play, as you'll want a guitar with a tone you really like. i actually prefer blueridge to martin until you hit the high price ranges. guild makes some very nice guitars - great value, high gloss finishes, meticulous builds, and they sound good. you might also want to look at used gibsons, and if you can find eastman guitars where you are, definitely try some - they're sweet! and spend more time with the larrivee - they're very well made guitars.

Thanks. I do like Taylor brightness, don't get me wrong, but I also want a bit of the other end as well. The 110 is a very pleasant guitar to play but not as sonically rich as I'm looking for.

I would love to check out some Guilds but noone seems to stock them. They do seem like well built guitars from what I hear.

To be honest I've never seen Blueridge guitars on sale anywhere. An internet search doesn't yield positive results either.

I don't really want to go used because the stores I buy from both have finance offers which makes getting the guitar in the next few months viable. Both stores do hold used guitars though. I played a used Gibson J45 today and didn't like it. The used SJ200 I played was lovely but unfortunately was a bit too battered on the front. It is within budget for this reason but I'd only be happy buying it if they knocked off some more money. There also appeared to be some light cracking in the finish.
Have you taken a look at Waldens? They have a handful of all-solid dreadnoughts and grand-auditoriums in the £500 range...
You may be looking for a Larrivee LV-03 or OM-03.

The LV-03 is a wee bit smaller than a dread. Tonally, it is balanced across the spectrum -- neither overly bassy nor trebly. When I thought I was looking for a Taylor 314ce, in the end I bought the LV-03. It is a wonderful, all-solid all-rounder guitar. It also has the wide nut for fingerpicking. You can get it with rosewood or sapele back & sides.

Larrivee makes really high-quality guitars per dollar (or pound) spent, and are well worth taking a closer look at.
Quote by Steve BP
You may be looking for a Larrivee LV-03 or OM-03.

The LV-03 is a wee bit smaller than a dread. Tonally, it is balanced across the spectrum -- neither overly bassy nor trebly. When I thought I was looking for a Taylor 314ce, in the end I bought the LV-03. It is a wonderful, all-solid all-rounder guitar. It also has the wide nut for fingerpicking. You can get it with rosewood or sapele back & sides.

Larrivee makes really high-quality guitars per dollar (or pound) spent, and are well worth taking a closer look at.

Cheers for the advice pal. I'll take a look.

Keep the recommendations coming if you have them. It will take me a long time to save up for a Gibson SJ200!
Quote by Duv
Cheers for the advice pal. I'll take a look.

Keep the recommendations coming if you have them. It will take me a long time to save up for a Gibson SJ200!

Try an Epi EJ-200 I love it
Would just like to say thanks for the recommendations guys. I have now bought my new axe and will be picking it up tomorrow.

I tried a lot more of the guitars, including lots of Larrivees which I had to say were brilliant. In a stroke of good fortune, I called my guitar store just as a as-new used Martin D-28 arrived in. Just over budget but not by much. Having really liked the new one I played on I jumped at the chance. Played it and really liked it. Nearly pulled the trigger.

Then I saw another guitar hanging on the wall. I asked if I could play it. I immediately knew it was the one....

NGD to follow