Poll Options
View poll results: Naturalization test to vote
Yes
15 27%
No
41 73%
Voters: 56.
Page 1 of 2
After reading the drug test on welfare thread I remembered this little debacle along the same vein... Should citizens of a country who were born there have to take, and pass, a naturalization test (or equivalent that tests on their country's political process perhaps) before they are allowed to vote?
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
They should take some kind of moron test before being allowed to vote. Like maybe solve a few puzzles, go to an interview, have the voting booth in the middle of a giant maze etc...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I want to say yes soooooo badly, but I still think no.

It is a persons right.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
On one hand it really disturbs me that the direction of my country can be and is determined by a bunch of dipshits that don't know the first thing about what they're voting for. On the other hand, it would be a huge difficult thing to figure out what kind of knowledge is necessary to allow voting.
No. The powers that be could slant questions to put certain groups of people at a disadvantage to pass. Voting is a right for all citizens no matter how stupid you are.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
A naturalization test, no. A test about whether they're correctly informed about whatever issue/politician they're voting for, yes please.
No.

If they take the time to register themselves, they clearly have some desire to vote. If they truly don't care, they won't register and they won't vote.
Quote by daytripper75
No.

If they take the time to register themselves, they clearly have some desire to vote. If they truly don't care, they won't register and they won't vote.

Having a desire to do something doesn't make you qualified to do it.
Quote by RU Experienced?

We're talking about voting. Not shooting guns or flying airplanes.
Quote by daytripper75
We're talking about voting. Not shooting guns or flying airplanes.

The consequences of voting are arguably greater than those of a couple nut jobs who choose to shoot a few people or fly a plane into a building or two.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Jan 26, 2012,
I've always thought that there should be a test to make sure that potential voters know about each of the candidates policies.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Whether or not someone chooses to research the candidates before voting is their choice. I'd rather not regulate it in some manner.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I've always thought that there should be a test to make sure that potential voters know about each of the candidates policies.

That's stupid because the test will likely be discriminatory towards people from a low socioeconomic class (see: minorities) and people from a background with little education and poor access to information. This will in turn lead to a biased sampling of rich people who will elect politicians that will act in the wealthy minorities interests (see: Republicans).

In fact, literacy tests were instated to prevent blacks from voting in the past.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by RU Experienced?

Last time I checked you don't need a qualification to take part in democracy.

EDIT: oh, and of course

Dave's not here, man.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jan 26, 2012,
What does drug use have to do with:
Working at a job, or political views?
I can take drugs and work responsibly at your company, and i am can have political views even though i take drugs.
Quote by daytripper75
Whether or not someone chooses to research the candidates before voting is their choice. I'd rather not regulate it in some manner.

Of course it's their choice, but one cannot elect a representative that will act in their best interest if the cues they are basing their vote off of are anything but the nominees policies and past voting record. It's reckless and contrary to a representative democracy for people to base their vote on one or two hot button social issues that the popular media fixates on.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Of course it's their choice, but one cannot elect a representative that will act in their best interest if the cues they are basing their vote off of are anything but the nominees policies and past voting record. It's reckless and contrary to a representative democracy for people to base their vote on one or two hot button social issues that the popular media fixates on.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that point, but I don't like the idea of any sort of requirement to vote that involves forcing someone to learn about the candidates before voting.

If they want to learn about them, they will. If not, they won't. Either way they should have the choice.
No.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by daytripper75
I'm not disagreeing with you on that point, but I don't like the idea of any sort of requirement to vote that involves forcing someone to learn about the candidates before voting.

If they want to learn about them, they will. If not, they won't. Either way they should have the choice.

We force them to attend public schools and learn all sorts of menial shit until they're 16, what's one more thing going to hurt? Especially considering that it's going to have a direct impact on the political policies of the country for years to come.
Quote by RU Experienced?
That's stupid because the test will likely be discriminatory towards people from a low socioeconomic class (see: minorities) and people from a background with little education and poor access to information. This will in turn lead to a biased sampling of rich people who will elect politicians that will act in the wealthy minorities interests (see: Republicans).

In fact, literacy tests were instated to prevent blacks from voting in the past.

My reasoning for a test like I recommended is that it's so much easier to find out what stances politicians have that you wouldn't have that much of a problem. The one thing I can think of that would make it work great is if there was a way to have the policies explained to you in an unbiased way that makes sense to the average person.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I want to say yes, but my principles say no.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Kensai
They should take some kind of moron test before being allowed to vote. Like maybe solve a few puzzles, go to an interview, have the voting booth in the middle of a giant maze etc...

Yeah, definitely this.

I'm undecided about other tests though.
cat
Quote by RU Experienced?

That has never happened.

What has always been the thing people have focused on is the party of the candidate.

EDIT:

For the topic at hand, I don't care either way. I don't think people have any rights (inherently) so I could go either way.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Last edited by TunerAddict at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by RU Experienced?
We force them to attend public schools and learn all sorts of menial shit until they're 16, what's one more thing going to hurt? Especially considering that it's going to have a direct impact on the political policies of the country for years to come.

So I have to go back to school to earn the right to vote?
Ya that's gonna be a learning rich environment.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I voted without reading the OP and voted yes when I should have put no.
Quote by Jackal58
So I have to go back to school to earn the right to vote?
Ya that's gonna be a learning rich environment.

You'll be suspended without pay until you can pass an exam on running candidates. Everyone will be able to pass within a day.
no
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Quote by TunerAddict
That has never happened.

What has always been the thing people have focused on is the party of the candidate.

EDIT:

For the topic at hand, I don't care either way. I don't think people have any rights (inherently) so I could go either way.

No one has rights that's true but you can have an opinion about if you think it's a good idea or not.
If that happens there will be no one in the voting pool to represent the needs of the dumb.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by RU Experienced?
You'll be suspended without pay until you can pass an exam on running candidates. Everyone will be able to pass within a day.

So now my employment is predicated upon me voting? Tell me more Mr. Stalin.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by walkinbazooka

You know, I was going to say yes, but after seeing this I changed my mind. No, I don't think you should, our history shows how that can be used against us.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by Jackal58
So now my employment is predicated upon me voting? Tell me more Mr. Stalin.

Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Nope. Jim Crow literacy tests, etc. Too much potential to abuse it. The right answer would be to just do your best to educate the people, without having to make ot a requirement.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by RU Experienced?

What the ****? I hope your trolling.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
If you haven't learned anything in the number of history classes you have to take in school, then a naturalization test won't help either. No.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Kensai
This. I've heard my parents say something like this before, and I totally agree.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Page 1 of 2