Hey all

I have an Ibanez RG350 which I really like, it sounds great and plays really well considering that it's a "lower-end" model. But the trem is just so poor, it's the infamous Edge III. It makes little difference whether it is perfectly set up or not, this trem just keeps going out of tune with minimal usage. I have a Tremol-No installed, so thankfully I can "prevent" this being a major issue, but then of course I can't use the trem when I wish to..

So I was thinking of buying an Edge Pro trem, as I know from my Prestige that this is a far more reliable tremolo. But would this truly be a solution to the problem, or are there other factors (such as the guitar) to take into consideration?
I'm not particularly familiar with the Edge III, but do you have locking tuners? If not, a bad nut or less-than great tuning machines will also be a factor. If you're going to spend the money to upgrade the trem, I'd suggest either a high end (roller or graphite) nut and if you feel they could be an issue, some good tuners.

Also, have you looked at other options for the trem? I've played with an Edge pro a bit, and don't find it to be particularly reliable trem in the scheme of things. A real Floyd Rose would be good (there's a number of manufacturers of "Floyd Rose liscensed" trems, I'd avoid those), and might even be a little less expensive.
Quote by Guild King
I'm not particularly familiar with the Edge III, but do you have locking tuners? If not, a bad nut or less-than great tuning machines will also be a factor. If you're going to spend the money to upgrade the trem, I'd suggest either a high end (roller or graphite) nut and if you feel they could be an issue, some good tuners.

Also, have you looked at other options for the trem? I've played with an Edge pro a bit, and don't find it to be particularly reliable trem in the scheme of things. A real Floyd Rose would be good (there's a number of manufacturers of "Floyd Rose liscensed" trems, I'd avoid those), and might even be a little less expensive.

It has locking tuners yeah, this is actually my 2nd RG350 with an EDGE III and they've both had this issue so surely it must be the trem. I'll happily consider other options for the trem, I say I'd go with the Edge Pro simply as I've used it before
I've had good luck lubricating the posts and saddles with Tri-flow Superior Dry Lubricant. Tuning stability improves drastically with just a little lubricant. I'd have to do some checking to see which trems are the best fits for a 350DX with minimal modding. Personally, I'd either go with an original Edge or a Gotoh Floyd if possible.
I have Xiphos the version which has 27 frets and the edge 3 bridge which used to go out of tune mainly on the G string and this was because the bolts that held the locking nut where coming through the housing so the locking nut was not clamping the string so it would go out of tune when the whammy bar was used. So i unscrewed the offending bolt and put a couple of washers on the bolt so it would not come through the other side...Problem solved with the going out of tune when using the whammy bar.
Have a look and see if this is a problem on your guitar
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Thanks POPPAMETH, I'll try and get hold of some of that!

Jeff you could be on to something there, I bought this guitar pre-owned from eBay so wear & tear could be an issue- I'll check more thoroughly later

I do wonder if I'm "milking a dead cow" here though, is it worth upgrading a lower-end guitar in this manner? Especially considering that I have a prestige that completely outclasses it in almost every way :S
It would take 30 seconds to check for the problem...just remove the 3 locking nuts and see if the bolts that hold the nut housing to the neck protrude out and not flush or deeper with the nut housing.
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by jeffmetalhead
It would take 30 seconds to check for the problem...just remove the 3 locking nuts and see if the bolts that hold the nut housing to the neck protrude out and not flush or deeper with the nut housing.

Nope, they seem totally fine :S