Hey all-

I have a 1964 Fender Bandmaster, which is both in need of some repair and in need a cabinet. I plan to bring it to a local amp tech in the next month, but I also need to find a cab. I think it wants a total load of 4 ohms, and I know the original cab was a 2x12. Does anyone know about what cab might be good for it? Wattage, ohmage, number and size of speakers? I'm looking for a classic Fender blackface sound, clean, clear and bright, but never harsh.
A 2x12 with Jensens would probably sound best.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
A 2x12 was what originally came with the amp, and you're correct, you're looking for 4 ohms (meaning that a parallel combination of 2 8 ohm speakers is probably your best bet).

You could do a lot of things with it, though. Bandmasters are great amps in their own right, so there's nothing wrong with a 2x12, but don't rule out 15" speakers and 10" speakers.

I personally play a bandmaster reverb through one of the old bassman 2x15 cabs. The BMR is more akin to a super reverb than a bandmaster, but still. Those early 70s 2x15 cabs can be had for pretty cheap--just realize that they are big and heavy.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by pinheadslts75
You could get a Fender Vibroking cab. Right impedance and all.

Is 140 watts overkill? A bandmaster's only 40 watts, and although I know you want a higher rated cab than amp, but I don't know how close is best.
It's only overkill if you want some speaker breakup when you crank it. I run a 60W amp into a 150 watt cab and it sounds divine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Like Cath said, it's a non issue, unless you plan on getting speaker breakup. I have 160 watts worth of speakers in my cab, sounds fine.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Footswitch for what? The tremolo?

If it's like my amp (and I think it is), the footswitch turns the tremolo on by shorting the two contacts together.

I don't have a footswitch. I found an old RCA cable, cut the end off, stripped the wires back, and wrapped them together. Plugging that into the tremolo jack will turn it on.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Footswitch for what? The tremolo?

If it's like my amp (and I think it is), the footswitch turns the tremolo on by shorting the two contacts together.

I don't have a footswitch. I found an old RCA cable, cut the end off, stripped the wires back, and wrapped them together. Plugging that into the tremolo jack will turn it on.

You are an engineer with a PhD and that was your solution? Butcher an old cable and just jam it in the hole?
Ever wonder why techs hang shit on engineers?

You can synthesize an opamp but can't make a footswitch?
Ah, you gotta laugh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
You are an engineer with a PhD and that was your solution? Butcher an old cable and just jam it in the hole?
Ever wonder why techs hang shit on engineers?

Ah, you gotta laugh.

I wanted tremolo right that instant. I didn't want to hard wire it on inside the amp (though I did consider that), because that can burn up the bug, even if it's all the way down. I had an RCA cable that I didn't need anymore, since I had moved onto HDMI.

Seemed like an elegant enough solution, and it took 2 minutes.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Only an engineer could call that elegant.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Function over form, IMO.

And in my defense, I don't have my PhD yet.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Ah I see. So you haven't covered switches yet?
Is that a topic for your thesis?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

I just didn't have any switches or enclosures! Haven't you ever rigged something up in a pinch?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
...I did consider that. However, I can't turn it on/off mid song like that. I may just mod a Fender 1-button switch, my understanding is that can be done easily.
Yeah but I'm not an engineer so I usually have a soldering iron and some switches laying around.

Bloody engineers; always thinking, never doing. Then poor bastards like me have to make all these big ideas actually work properly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah but I'm not an engineer so I usually have a soldering iron and some switches laying around.

Bloody engineers; always thinking, never doing. Then poor bastards like me have to make all these big ideas actually work properly.

Let me be the first to let you know that we appreciate your effort.

Quote by Guild King
...I did consider that. However, I can't turn it on/off mid song like that. I may just mod a Fender 1-button switch, my understanding is that can be done easily.

Quite easily. You may not have to modify anything, unless it's a 1/4" jack instead of an RCA.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
It is. They no longer make an RCA switch, as far as I can tell. But for a 1-button footswitch, it'd just be a matter of chopping off the end, and wiring in an RCA plug, right?
I would think so, yes.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86