Hey as the title says I'm an electric player and lately I've wanted to get in to acoustic and started playing some fingerpicking and what not. Could any one recommended an acoustic that would suit an electric player that's of a reasonable price? Thanks
Forever shouting 'IM THE DEVIL I CAN DO WHAT I WANT' at inappropriate times.

If you want something sort of like an electric guitar, I would recommend a shallow back Ovation Applause. You can get a decent one for $200 USD. I have one and it feels like an electric, but Im not a big fan of it, so beware
the shallows are very tinny sounding unplugged- great plugged in.. i have 2. go with a deep or mid-depth one. 1778T maybe? it depends on what you like to play. theres a really good sticky here about choosing the one thats right for you.
im also looking for an acoustic, that feels easy to play. budget is about 200used

so whats the general consensus of ovation here? good or look for something else?
on craigslist someone is selling an ovation celebrity for 100; really thinking of getting it

****oh btw, even though i like that you can plug in the ovation, im looking for sometime to play mostly unplugged. and im looking for something not tinny sounding
Last edited by davem27 at Jan 26, 2012,
Ovations have an unique tone compared to traditional acoustics. In the higher quality ones, the high tones are airy and sparkle, the mids and especially the lows have an almost nylon string tone to them. It seems most people's views are somewhat polarized when it comes to Ovations.

Pros;
Consistant in quality.

Quality and tone to price ratio is good.

Tone works well within certain styles of music (fingerpicking, chord melody, even playing around with a little classical music).

Cons;
Unplugged the lack projection.

IMO, many of their models sound rather tinny, especially the entry level ones.

Because of the rounded back, players who have a tendency of positioning the guitar with the bottom of the face angled away from them, find if very difficult to keep it from sliding off their lap, not recomended for beginners.

I recently sold a mid level Ovation that I recieved as a gift back in the early 80s. It was my least played guitar and was just collecting dust. I have a lot of relatives and friends coming and going at my home in the summer months, and quite a few of them have been playing many years, interestingly enough, the Ovation was the least used guitar by them, so I know it just wasn't me.

The most important advice you will get from everybody on the acoustic section of UG, is to take your time and try lots of guitars before you decide to make a purchase. It will give you better idea as to the type, style, and tone that suit you best.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by DavmanRFC
Hey as the title says I'm an electric player and lately I've wanted to get in to acoustic and started playing some fingerpicking and what not. Could any one recommended an acoustic that would suit an electric player that's of a reasonable price? Thanks
Electric guitars generally have low actions, light strings, and little to no acoustic chamber. Therefore the string vibration isn't amplified by the guitar, then fed back into the strings.
That said, it works like this, a Les Paul will sustain all night, without tiring out your hands. A good acoustic might sustain most all night, but be prepared to hang on for dear life.

You've rather ambiguously worded you inquiry. For a couple of reasons.

But primarily, whether or not you play the electric guitar, doesn't really attach itself to what your expectation of the acoustic experience should be.

The only given is, granted, you'll know where to put your fingers.

Oh and yes, Ovations do have fast necks. You can still make them sound like crap by lowering the action too far, and putting too light a string set on them, in furtherance of making it seem like you're still playing an electric.

Quote by davem27
****oh btw, even though i like that you can plug in the ovation, im looking for sometime to play mostly unplugged. and im looking for something not tinny sounding
Dude, you can't plug in EVERY Ovation. There have been plenty made which are acoustic only. So you need to check the description and the model number.

I'm with you though, best idea is to get an acoustic electric up front, instead of wishing you had later.

And no more thread jacking. You're more than welcome to start your own.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 27, 2012,
Might get some flack for this, but when I moved from electric to acoustic, I bought a Fender acoustic guitar. It worked well because the neck was slimmer than most other acoustics I saw. Keep in mind that fender aren't known best for their acoustics, so they're not as good as say, seagull.
You might look at the Yamaha "APX" series. The cheapest one is plywood (around 300 bucks) but I had one and it didn't sound bad... The electrics are decent.
The better ones have solid tops, the same electrics, and are designed with "slick" necks and a smaller body to be friendly to electric players.
I started on electric, picked up my first acoustic a year into playing, and have since trashed all my electrics...I love my Yamaha starter that my folks bought me....held up through the years and sounds great...
Quote by FenderMayer
Might get some flack for this, but when I moved from electric to acoustic, I bought a Fender acoustic guitar. It worked well because the neck was slimmer than most other acoustics I saw. Keep in mind that fender aren't known best for their acoustics, so they're not as good as say, seagull.
I have one of the newest "Sonoran" models, and yes, the neck, ("C" shaped maple), is comfortable and fast. (At least when compared with many other acoustics).

Fender seems to bring the tonal philosophies from its electric guitars over to its acoustic line up. That tonality can be summed up in a word......"TUH-WANG"..!

I'm not judging mind you, just be aware of it. These guitars are very bright, and Fender, (IMO needlessly), augments that brightness by shipping with 80/20 brass strings.

I'm happy with my Fender for a number of reasons, but I think I'll tone it down a bit with Phosphor bronze strings at the 1st change.

Arguably, a bright guitar could be an asset when played finger style, (with the finger tips, not the nails), to avoid some loss of high end, when migrating from a flat pick.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 28, 2012,