So, I'm acquainted with some well-off kids with a passion for music and a good amount of money to be spent. They have nice electric guitars (a Hellraiser c-1, and something else that slips my mind,) as well as really nice acoustic guitars. Unfortunately, playing everything with little or no effects gets boring, and we don't know where to start in order to get the sounds we want. A few bands we want to imitate are Jesus Culture or Hillsong United for worship sets, Pierce the Veil and Sleeping with Sirens for our own personal interests. If you could provide a few suggestions then I would be really grateful. Keep in mind that funds aren't unlimited. Thanks!
Hillsong United -

Guitars: single coil pickups (mostly strats and teles) and a few humbucker hollowbodies.
Amps: Generally Vox (AC30 or AC15) or something like a matchless spitfire.

As far as effects go, always use lots of various delays. For bigger stuff you'll often find a dotted 8th digital delay going with at least one of the eighty gajillion guitar players. There's usually two delays in a lot of the clean stuff, one analog, one either tape emulation or straight digital repeat. Even for slower songs with clean tones there's usually a little bit of drive just for clean boost purposes, and in big songs it's typically a combination of stacked overdrives and distortions. Modulation effects are rarely found in Hillsong stuff, only with the occasional tremolo or flange, so you don't need to concern yourself with chorus, phasers, etc. ALWAYS USE A TON OF REVERB.

Jesus Culture bases a lot of their guitar tones off of Hillsongish type sounds, so there's not really a whole lot to add there. They do sometimes use more "creamy" sounding overdrives.

I hope this helps, I haven't heard of the other two bands, but I'm pretty familiar with the first two.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
A good delay is a must. I have a Boss DD-20, and I love it, but the Line 6 DL-4 might work for you also. Both of these have memory banks that allow you to store 4 presets, so you can get several different types of delay out of either one. You might also want a chorus or something too, but a good delay will end up being your best friend.
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
Quote by LukeBTH
A good delay is a must. I have a Boss DD-20, and I love it, but the Line 6 DL-4 might work for you also. Both of these have memory banks that allow you to store 4 presets, so you can get several different types of delay out of either one. You might also want a chorus or something too, but a good delay will end up being your best friend.

Quote by FRACTUREDx2
Hillsong United -

Guitars: single coil pickups (mostly strats and teles) and a few humbucker hollowbodies.
Amps: Generally Vox (AC30 or AC15) or something like a matchless spitfire.

As far as effects go, always use lots of various delays. For bigger stuff you'll often find a dotted 8th digital delay going with at least one of the eighty gajillion guitar players. There's usually two delays in a lot of the clean stuff, one analog, one either tape emulation or straight digital repeat. Even for slower songs with clean tones there's usually a little bit of drive just for clean boost purposes, and in big songs it's typically a combination of stacked overdrives and distortions. Modulation effects are rarely found in Hillsong stuff, only with the occasional tremolo or flange, so you don't need to concern yourself with chorus, phasers, etc. ALWAYS USE A TON OF REVERB.

Jesus Culture bases a lot of their guitar tones off of Hillsongish type sounds, so there's not really a whole lot to add there. They do sometimes use more "creamy" sounding overdrives.

I hope this helps, I haven't heard of the other two bands, but I'm pretty familiar with the first two.

Well, I'm a drummer so I wouldn't know if a Les Paul Studio is a sinlge coil or what.. (or even what that means, besides something to do with the pick ups.)

So we need..
Delay........................................Boss DD-20, Line 6 DL-4
Reverb......................................?
Overdrive/distortion..................?

Thanks for your responses!

Oh, and what's the difference between single coil/humbucker/etc.
Last edited by White Life at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by White Life
So we need..
Delay........................................Boss DD-20, Line 6 DL-4
Reverb......................................?
Overdrive/distortion..................?

Thanks for your responses!

Oh, and what's the difference between single coil/humbucker/etc.

Well off kids?

Delay: Fulltone Tube Tape Echo , Eventide TimeFactor
Reverb: Eventide Space
OD: Klon
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Well off kids?

Delay: Fulltone Tube Tape Echo , Eventide TimeFactor
Reverb: Eventide Space
OD: Klon

Well-off doesn't mean buy the most expensive gear possible, and we definitely don't need every possible feature that can fit in a pedal. We're trying to recreate a sound, that's it for now. When I said they were well-off kids, I meant that they were just kids but their parents are well-off. The oldest one is 15. He doesn't need a Klon right now. Thanks, but try to keep the price down a bit more. $300-$400 is about the max I'd want them to try and spend on a pedal, but only if it's worth it for what we want it for.
Things that are needed for everything: Boss ML-2, SD-1, MXR M109 6 Band EQ, and a Cry Baby Gcb-95 if you want wah.

Btw: I'd like Boss' Fender Reverb, With MXR carbon copy delay, but they are pretty expensive.
Last edited by cemges at Jan 27, 2012,
Overdrives to consider: Lovepedal Kalamazoo (saw a shootout with a Klon and it matched almost perfectly for 1/3 cost!), Lovepedal Eternity, Keeley Java Boost, Way Huge Swollen Pickle, Way Huge Green Rhino. If you go Boss, they're all better with the Keeley Mods. Best one is the Keeley Blues Driver. There is a plethora of these to sift through that will all work. Turn your volume up, your gain/distortion/overdrive down and tone to taste.

Delays: Eventide TF is $$$ but its worth it! There is also The Strymon Timeline (multi delay w midi) that is on par with the TF. Its $$$ The Strymon El Caspitan is one of the best tape delays I've heard. STUNNING! Its kinda $$ as well... Coming down the price latter, the Line6 DL4 is a common mainstay on many boards across many genres. Get someone to do a true bypass mod on all the switches. All of these have memory and are switchable live to some extent.

I have an MXR Carbon Copy (analogue) which is one of my 'always on' pedals. As well as a TC Electronic Flashback. The TC has a bunch of different delay settings which are all awesome! The 2290 setting would work great to get that U2 feel. It also has a 1/4, 1/8 and I think its a 1/16 switch. Others: Way Huge Aqua Puss, EHX SMMH, EHX Memory toy/boy/man (all get good reviews and a lot of people like them but I don't have much experience with them).

Something I didn't see was you need them to pick up a volume pedal. A buddy of mine about to head out on ANOTHER US tour has gone through about 6 to 8 of them and he said he wasn't happy with any of them until he picked up the Goodrich volume pedal. VP's are notorious for sucking tone. He said that one doesn't color your sound hardly at all!

I know Nigel uses a pair of Jackson Ampworks Britain 3.0's. I wouldn't be surprised if he upgraded to the 4.0's though. Its seriously $$$$ but that amp is on my permanent wishlist! Its worth drooling over demo's for a bit! www.jacksonampworks.com

As far as more affordable amps go, they need to be Vox style. The AC30 is probably what most Christian rockers use. Correct me if I'm wrong UG but I'm pretty sure they're looking for 12ax7 and el84 amps with a GZ34 rectifier. I've also seen AC15's, Fender Twins and Delux's, as well as Fender Hot Rod DeVilles. The Fenders have a bit different flavor to them but they can still get in the ball park.

I heard from a bird that Morgan Amps makes some of the finest boutique AC style amps out there. Expensive but affordable in boutique terms! Dig it!
http://www.morganamps.com/amps.php

Good luck guys!