I have a chance to trade my USA Highway 1 strat for a near mint 1976 Fender Twin Reverb amp. I would also have to add $200. My guitar has a custom wired pickguard with Dimarzio's and is in good shape.

I think I'm going to go for it simply because my guitar is common and a near mint Vintage Fender Twin does not come around too often. What do you guys think?
If it's '76 then it's a Silverface. Not that uncommon, really, and not as kind to the ears as a Blackface in my opinion.

Not being a fan of Strat's, I would. But not being a fan of Silverfaces, I wouldn't.

Up to you.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Keep in mind that a 76 is well into the silverface era, and it's not going to be the same as a blackface amp. The silverface amps--especially ones made that late--are not worth nearly as much as their late 60s blackface counterparts, and for good reason.

Depending on what you value your guitar at, it may not be a great trade for you. I'd probably only do it if I really wasn't going to miss the strat and I fell in love with the amp after playing it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Did I mention that the Silverface Fender Twin is in near mint condition? The cleanest 70's amp I've ever seen. I'm not in love with my Highway 1. I don't think anyone in their right mind would trade a near mint Blackface for a Highway 1.
It's a 76 so it should have the pull boost and master volume, right?

I mean, if you want it that badly go for it, but just know that it's not an extraordinarily sought after amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I don't really know anything about this amp, and it is just an amp. Plus add $200? I'm not so sure.. sounds like you're getting the short end of the stick
An older Super Reverb is an extremely valuable amp. It may even still be close to even on the trade. I'm not sure what 75+ SR's go for. I just know they're not exactly known for being incredible amps like their older namesake.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I checked Ebay completed sales and Fender Twins are selling all day long with the high shipping cost. On the other hand, Fender Highway 1 Strats aren't moving unless they are new. Mine is 10 years old.
Oh shit. You've been talking about the Twin Reverb the whole time. Not the Super Reverb. My bad.

Same principle still applies, though. The 76 models have the master volume and aren't as sought after because they don't sound as good. You can't just look at completed listings for all twins and let that be a typical judgement. Old twins are extremely valuable. 76 twins aren't necessarily good amps.

Sounds like you've already made your decision, either way.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Yeah- No one has been able to sway me not to trade. If it were in lesser condition I wouldn't consider the trade. Highway 1 Strats are no big deal. I don't even know if they are even being made anymore. I would miss my $200 more than the guitar.
As long as you know that the Fender amps from the late 70s kind of suck, aren't worth all that much, and aren't very sought after, you know what you're getting yourself into.

And this is coming from the owner of a silverface Fender.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
If they kinda suck I presume yours is an earlier Silverface. Why would you beat down an amp you own?
Are you coming in here wanting us to sway you from it? If you like the amp, trade for it. Nuff said.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by Siciliano
If they kinda suck I presume yours is an earlier Silverface. Why would you beat down an amp you own?

Right, mine is an earlier silverface that I was able to easily modify to blackface specs.

I was just pointing out that it's not like I'm biased against silverface fenders or anything. If anything, I'm biased towards them. I'm just giving you an honest opinion.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Thanks dude. I wasn't really looking for this amp. Its just that an opportunity arose. I have other guitars but never had a Fender Twin. I have played one but don't recall the year it was. The tone was sweeeet. Never played a Blackface twin. My amp is a Laney Twin solid state which is alright.
Last edited by Siciliano at Jan 26, 2012,
Then by all means, play it first. If you like it, that's all that really matters.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86