I have to do a short 2-5min film as an introduction of myself to the class. I know you need permission to use artist's music in films, but I was just curious if there was something in the copyright (or someplace else) that basically allows me to use the music without having to deal with contacting artists? Since its for school and it's just a simple project, I obviously wont be selling or even putting it in my portfolio.

If I do have to contact the artist, how exactly would I go about doing that? Do I try to contact them directly or deal with their label?
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think the problem you're having is you're trying to apply logic to Christianity, a religion based on a cosmic zombie
I think it's fine as long as you aren't making a profit.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

It's fine. You're not publishing it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I remember way back in highschool one of my friend actually contacted the Sissor Sister's agent to use their music in an ICT video project. They actually wrote back to him aswell, saying it's fine aslong as it's not for profit.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Jan 26, 2012,
It's fine as long as you credit the artists. If it's going on Youtube put a thing in the description about how you aren't making any profit off it and its for educational purposes only.
cat
If you have enough time, making your own music (if you have the resources and ability) is pretty awesome and very rewarding, especially if people don't recognize it and ask you about it.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by shreddymcshred
yes, you may use it legally for free.

Fair use. It is an educational multimedia project for a course.

http://www.adec.edu/admin/papers/fair10-17.html

open and shut.

Very handy to know, thanks.

And I appreciate all the responses (even those who called me a pussy :p my concern wasn't the labels, more-so how my professor and/or the college would handle it lol)
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think the problem you're having is you're trying to apply logic to Christianity, a religion based on a cosmic zombie