Has anyone here had any success at building their own guitar teaching business?

I read alot of articles about how you can make a living teaching (although its difficult) but it just seems like itd be really hard to even get like 20 committed students?

I taught part time in the past and loved it...but was just curious about your thoughts on this matter and whether or not you can earn a living perhaps (any success stories out there)?
I do from time to time. Its a nice little bit of cash once in a while, but it seems like it'd be extremely hard to make a living at it to me.
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
It wouldn't be easy. You'd need at least 20 students to commit to lessons every week, and then you'd have to be charging a pretty substantial amount of money to make a legitimate living from it.
Well I had a guitar teacher who charged me 4 (30 minute) lessons for 90 bucks, once a week. I usually ended up getting over an hour each time because he liked me as a student, but he had about 20-30 students. Now about 10 of those students probably were 'regulars' like me, but there were a lot of people wanting to learn guitar. So if you are GOOD at guitar and really can help someone improve by being a GREAT instructor, you'll make a very good living. You just have to have the personality, the drive, and the means.
I am the crack in the wall, The eye in the sky.
I am the final slumber, The great divide.
I am the silence in madness, That lies to your face,
My woe is accepted, 'tis the end of your race.
Your price often depends on your experiences, and accomplishments. If you're good at your job and have had succesful students you can teach for a pretty penny, but it depends too on what you're teaching.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by daytripper75
It wouldn't be easy. You'd need at least 20 students to commit to lessons every week, and then you'd have to be charging a pretty substantial amount of money to make a legitimate living from it.

Well now if you think about it...You'd need to find a place to teach them at. Because visiting 20 students every week would be too much guitar playing
I taught myself guitar, so while I didn't actually make any money off of it, at least I learned how to play for free.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

My friend makes a living off teaching instruments, he works all day everyday and earns about 50-60 dollars an hour if all his students show up. He teaches A LOT of people on A LOT of instruents though.
You need to get a rep. Start small and get your first students to spread the word. The best age to aim for is like 5-8 year olds. Their parents won't have high expectations for progression, but you'll be hailed as a genius if they become good.
thanks for the advice. Does anyone here make enough money playing or teaching music? Or do you just do it to supplement?
Quote by dvm25
thanks for the advice. Does anyone here make enough money playing or teaching music? Or do you just do it to supplement?

i do it to feed my drug addiction
It's very difficult to make a living off of it (if you're just the average guitar teacher).
My guitar teacher (before he moved) taught guitar as his primary job, and he was by far one of the best guitarists I've ever heard. He also played a lot of local festivals, shows, wine tastings, and some more high key shows in the surrounding states. Even with these two professions his house was nice but very small, and the way he talked about things whenever we delved into anything involving money revealed that money was always tight for him.

You could tell he really enjoyed it though and I think that's what kept him going. He charged
30$ for a half an hour and 50$ for an hour. A dollar a minute might seem expensive but he had established a reputation and proved himself worthy of it. Every minute I would say I learned something new about guitar.

So I would suggest initially while establishing yourself teaching only to supplement your income but if you take off and find yourself really enjoying it I would go for it. I would imagine it being very fun.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
You could make a living from it, but it would be very difficult. Prices vary a lot, I've seen them range from $20NZ up to $100NZ. If you charge a lot, you're going to have to prove that the price is worth it. What makes you better than some other person charging $20 less? It mightn't be anything, but you have to convince people otherwise.

And probably taught yourself bad technique in the process.

No, it just took longer. And if it is BAD technique, than I created a new way to sound incredible.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I've thought about doing this from time to time, but I would be competing with a lot of music schools and colleges with music departments, so it would be pretty tough to make a living out of it.

Just out of curiosity, how could a person get a job teaching music at one of these music schools?

ron666