Well, it has been quite awhile since i created a thread.

Anyways, I have an assignment whereby I am required to convince the president of the U.S. to continue to fund basic research.

However, I am Canadian and not too familiar with how funding is provided in the U.S.
I have read about the NSF and NIH and everyone says funding for basic research is diminishing, but these sources: http://www.aaas.org/spp/rd/stim09c.htm
http://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-highlights/president-obama-restates-case-for-basic-research-in-state-of-the-union-address/81246268/

^say that obama has poured tons of money into basic research and the NIH actually had a 1% INCREASE in funding. Thing is though, I don't know if 'signing a bill' = the money has been given or can safely be assumed that it will be given. Or if creating a budget = the outline of the budget is actually followed.

Any help with this would be super. Thanks!
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Do your own homework fuking loser.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by CrunchyRoll
Do your own homework fuking loser.

i didn't ask you to do any part of my homework. just want to know if and when the government creates a budget whether or not they are bound to follow through with it.
Quote by edge11

Why the hell are you assigned that if you're Canadian?

I've never been assigned stuff to do with the US.

Quote by Wesseem
i didn't ask you to do any part of my homework. just want to know if and when the government creates a budget whether or not they are bound to follow through with it.

Ignore him. He's really annoying and has nothing to contribute.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by skylerjames13

Ignore him. He's really annoying and has nothing to contribute.

haha yea i know...it's strange

My prof loves american politics. He tried to get me to write that letter to ron paul or rick perry since it would be funny/hard sell.
Quote by edge11

Quote by skylerjames13

To be fair, you're 11.
Because we all know American politics are more important than Canadian ones...seriously
Quote by daytripper75
You need lobbyists.

Lots of them.

haha that's the plan. I'm playing the role of CEO of the ACS to lobby political leaders into funding research more.
Quote by edge11

From a bunch of recent news in 2k11, I was under the impression that NIH and NSF were facing further budget cuts. This country doesn't give a shit about spending government money on research - they only do so because it is necessitated by public universities. Public universities find it hard to get money for research - just ask your professors.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Thrashtastic15
To be fair, you're 11.

I'm a few months away from being 17?

Quote by Wesseem
haha yea i know...it's strange

My prof loves american politics. He tried to get me to write that letter to ron paul or rick perry since it would be funny/hard sell.

What the hell

That's kind of odd. But whatever floats his boat I suppose. Provided he still teaches a bit about Canadian politics.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Last edited by skylerjames13 at Jan 26, 2012,
Getting federal funding in the US:

1) Make up some problem that doesn't really exist
2) Pay lobbiests and a PR crew to get politicians and the general public all riled up respectively
3) ???
4) **** the rest of this joke, it's too true to be funny.