i have a friend looking for a new head for the near future and since he is busy, i thought i'd post a forum for him and help him out.

he's looking for a tight, aggressive, beefy, high gain amp.

price: $600-1000
new or used
nearest city: nashua NH

also, he will probably go with an avatar cab but needs help deciding on what speakers to put in it, help with that will also be appreciated. it'll be a 4x12 slant
Modern high gain for under a grand? You might be able to find a dual rectifier for that. Or any number of peavey amps, XXX, JSX or 6505/5150. Could also look at the new EVH 5150 III mini 50w head for $999.

Used nearby:

http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/2783390879.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/2807019812.html

http://burlington.craigslist.org/msg/2811080160.html

As for speakers, a lot of metal folks will just go with vintage 30's. Everyone will have their own idea what makes for a good mix in a custom 4x12.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
^ Big Fat Plus One

6505+ will be darker and more balls out.
XXX will be brighter and have a decent clean channel (consider running EL34s)
JSX great all around

what kind of music does your friend play mostly and how important are cleans to him?
5150, easy.

Can you give a little more detail though? What bands have tone that he wants to get close to?

V30's for the speakers, again easy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
both of us r relatively similar in style. big influences are BFMV, killswitch, blessthefall. he's also a big fan of stuff like alice in chains, guns n roses... etc

yes, cleans are important somewhat put it doestn have to be anything like a fender clean. his leads are very articulate. neither of us r shred guitarists but have a heavy focus in djent like tones and lots of triplets and speed picking.
Quote by Offworld92
5150, easy.

Can you give a little more detail though? What bands have tone that he wants to get close to?

V30's for the speakers, again easy.

offworld, i know you know what you are talking about, but i don't consider V30's an amazing go to speaker. it works great for a lot of amps. however a lot of those amps sound better with other speakers or a mix. try two K100s with two V30's. i am almsost positive anybody would like that over a V30 4x12". i know T75's aren't regarded highest, but they are a nice complement to V30's. Greenbacks sound good with them too. just depends on the application.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My 6505 sounds killer with a v30 loaded mesa 4x12. A lot of people like v30s with their 6505's. If the guy is getting a custom built avatar cab, doing a X with 2x v30's + 2x of something else for more balance.

andrerist, with those bands, I'd go with the 6505. It might be a tad too dark for GnR, but if you don't need cleans, you can dial in the rhythm channel for less gain and keep the lead channel for KSE etc etc. And you might as well pick up an overdrive to help tighten things up.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by andrerist
both of us r relatively similar in style. big influences are BFMV, killswitch, blessthefall. he's also a big fan of stuff like alice in chains, guns n roses... etc

yes, cleans are important somewhat put it doestn have to be anything like a fender clean. his leads are very articulate. neither of us r shred guitarists but have a heavy focus in djent like tones and lots of triplets and speed picking.

I will amend my original statement to: go for a 5150 II/6505+/6534+.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
offworld, i know you know what you are talking about, but i don't consider V30's an amazing go to speaker. it works great for a lot of amps. however a lot of those amps sound better with other speakers or a mix. try two K100s with two V30's. i am almsost positive anybody would like that over a V30 4x12". i know T75's aren't regarded highest, but they are a nice complement to V30's. Greenbacks sound good with them too. just depends on the application.

V30 is the "easy" go to. What you're saying is probably true (I don't have any real experience outside V30's), but I just wanted to throw that out into the open, in case TS decided to go with something that would be an awful choice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by andrerist

6534+ with a 12au7 in V6 and a V30 cab.

It djents really easy, but also get nice articulate low gain spunds and pretty good cleans
randall rm50 head, with whatever moduels he likes best!
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ Big Fat Plus One

6505+ will be darker and more balls out.
XXX will be brighter and have a decent clean channel (consider running EL34s)
JSX great all around

what kind of music does your friend play mostly and how important are cleans to him?
I thought about most of the same things.