Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a guitar that is great at being a rhythm guitar but can also do a good job with solos on both the bridge and the neck pickup.
So far I've narrowed my choices down to:
-Ibanez ART (if so, which one? I tried a certain model but couldn't remember which one it was. Great guitar, very comfortable to play neck, sounds great, nice warm tone on, nice to play for lead)
-Gibson Les Paul (not into a super expensive $2000 one, I've played a few and it seems to excel in being a rhythm guitar compared to the ART but the ART has a more comfortable neck.)
-BC Rich Mockingbird (never tried one but I've heard some great stories about them)

Please feel free to suggest other guitars but just note that I'm not really interested in hardcore metal spiky looking guitars.

Thanks
Um wow shere to start...do you have the moneu for a gibson? were probably talking a minimum $800 used.. really pushing much higher in a hurry.. The mockingbird and the art will have much diff necks.. and to get a decent bc rich you gotta spend some cash too new probably $500 to get one worth owning.. whats your budget and what do you like to play?
Last edited by halfj06 at Jan 26, 2012,
Depends on what you play..... if you play metal,get a mockingbird....They Slay!
...the high end ones though...
those art guitars sound shit.....
I think the Les Paul would be a good choice, cause its so versatile.
I have a Mockingbird special. The neck is very very close to a Les Paul along with the 24.7 scale, knob layout,it feels like a LP. This only goes for the special, the others have different necks.
IMHO the special is a better deal than a LP, here is why.
It is a neck thru instead of a set neck, and mine came with the vintage wind Rockfield pups
decent build, nice frets and the vintage BCR cloud inlays. And I got mine for $500.
Blues and r+r and hair metal all day baby!
But it is no way a deth metal guitar, you would need the 25.5 scale for that.

O I forgot ...its way cooler looking than the old stodgy violin lookin LP!
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 26, 2012,
It depends on the specific models we're talking about here. The particular model makes the decision.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by halfj06
Um wow shere to start...do you have the moneu for a gibson? were probably talking a minimum $800 used.. really pushing much higher in a hurry.. The mockingbird and the art will have much diff necks.. and to get a decent bc rich you gotta spend some cash too new probably $500 to get one worth owning.. whats your budget and what do you like to play?

I'm more of an alternative/prog rock kind of guy. I like a good heavy rhythm sound with distortion (on neck pup) but a really smooth warm sound for clean lol
Quote by danvwman
I have a Mockingbird special. The neck is very very close to a Les Paul along with the 24.7 scale, knob layout,it feels like a LP. This only goes for the special, the others have different necks.
IMHO the special is a better deal than a LP, here is why.
It is a neck thru instead of a set neck, and mine came with the vintage wind Rockfield pups
decent build, nice frets and the vintage BCR cloud inlays. And I got mine for $500.
Blues and r+r and hair metal all day baby!
But it is no way a deth metal guitar, you would need the 25.5 scale for that.

O I forgot ...its way cooler looking than the old stodgy violin lookin LP!

lol sounds good! and if I wanna change the tone I can always change pickups right?

The one thing that Les Pauls concern me about is their price tag. A few of the $500-$1000 ones that I've tried have very rough fretboards and I find that the actions are super high for me personally. The one LP that I really liked is a Traditional LP and costs $2,250 and it's a fantastic guitar but yea that price tag really bothers me.
If you like the Les Paul, check out the Agile AL3100. As good as a Gibson for a quarter of the price.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
If you like the Les Paul, check out the Agile AL3100. As good as a Gibson for a quarter of the price.

Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I like the Ibanez Artcores- hard to go wrong with them.

However, if you want to try something different, I've heard Indie Guitars are a good value for money, and I've been browsing their site lately.

Something that caught my eye was their "Orphans" page: essentially slightly blemished/factory seconds guitars that they simply cannot sell for full price, but are otherwise perfectly fine.

I'm considering #3, but #9 might be more in line with what you're looking for.

http://www.indieguitars.ca/index-2.cfm?Title=orphanage

I own a Dean Cadillac from when Dean B. Zelinsky was (briefly) back in the company he founded back in the 1970s, and it is a HELL of a guitar. He has since left Dean and founded DBZ Guitars. While many of the DBZ designs have a metal aesthetic, the Imperial is an impossibly thin bodied (they claim its as thin as an iPhone at its edge) double cutaway, and the Royale is essentially the same bodystyle with slightly smaller dimensions.

http://www.dbzguitars.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by silvermercury
lol sounds good! and if I wanna change the tone I can always change pickups right?

The one thing that Les Pauls concern me about is their price tag. A few of the $500-$1000 ones that I've tried have very rough fretboards and I find that the actions are super high for me personally. The one LP that I really liked is a Traditional LP and costs $2,250 and it's a fantastic guitar but yea that price tag really bothers me.

i haven't seen too many poor quality faded Gibbys in a year or two. i have played a lot of them. most of the newer ones i have noticed are better. you are probably just repeating what everybody says.

action is never going to be to your liking from a shop. you can set the action of a guitar in 20mins tops even if it is your first time. i can do it in probably less than 5 unless i am changing strings, than maybe 10mins. there is a reason guitars get set up. i personally don't ever remembering bringing a guitar home and playing it before a set up. thats me though.

its the cash. i would say buy used too.

Ace likely doesn't know what he is talking about. i have played a few agiles, i own seven gibsons, spanning four decades 1981-1982 1998 2001 2004 2006 2010 IIRC, there is no comparison.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would go with the Les Paul without a seconds thought if it were me... I'm a big Les Paul kinda guy though.
Quote by silvermercury
ahh okay yea i was wondering which art model would be the best lol

If you look into the Ibanez Art guitars, don't get that one, that is one of the lowest end models. That guy had it wrong, its not the one Nick Hipa uses. I think he thinks just because its white its the same one. Nick has a custom made Ibanez Art.

This is much closer to the one that Nick uses

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-ART500E-ACTIVE-EMG-PICKUPS-MAHOGANY-BODY-GIBRALTAR-III-BRIDGE-/250958476143?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a6e4a736f
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I dont see what's so funny. Gibson is literally the most overrated musical instrument brand of all time. I see absolutely zero reason to spend over two ****ing thousand bucks on one when the same money can get you a better guitar and a better amp than a shitty bugera 6260.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
I dont see what's so funny. Gibson is literally the most overrated musical instrument brand of all time. I see absolutely zero reason to spend over two ****ing thousand bucks on one when the same money can get you a better guitar and a better amp than a shitty bugera 6260.

Thats what I am saying. To get a "good" one you need to spend $2500
What the hell!!!
Quote by Acϵ♠

Y'know. All those people going out and spending 2k+ on guitars aren't stupid. There's a reason Gibsons are expensive.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
If you buy any of the following guitars, you'll be sad. I think you talk about an epiphone les paul right?. Go for jackson Dk2 models, or either Ibanez RG350 or higher stuff. I'd recommend RG470AHZ, or 370DXZ. Seriously, Ibanez ART, B.C Rich Warlock and Epiphone are bad quality for what you pay.
Last edited by cemges at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by JKHC
Y'know. All those people going out and spending 2k+ on guitars aren't stupid. There's a reason Gibsons are expensive.

No they just want a Gibson real bad. I don't. Over 27 years of playing I have found Equal to or better than a Gibson for less money. Jimi Page was on of my idols that got me into playing......always wanted to get a LP ......but both my Schecter c1 elite and my Mockingbird special give the excact same tone, even though the schecter is a longer scale.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
No they just want a Gibson real bad. I don't. Over 27 years of playing I have found Equal to or better than a Gibson for less money. Jimi Page was on of my idols that got me into playing......always wanted to get a LP ......but both my Schecter c1 elite and my Mockingbird special give the excact same tone, even though the schecter is a longer scale.

My Gibson is one of the best guitars i've ever played. I could've got a PRS, I could've got an Ibanez Prestige, i could've got a high-end Pro series Jackson, i could've even bought an ESP. But the Gibson just plays better. I don't think they're overpriced at all. The guitar plays better than many of the guitars i've played that cost twice as much. I love the resonance and the sustain of the guitar even though the guitar is so light. I love how its flawlessly finished. I love how it hasn't gone out of tune in 4 days. I love the accuracy of the intonation: I love the D-shape neck, which really suits the size of my hands. Its all in the eye, the ear and the feel of the beholder.

I bought it for that reason.

I'm selling the Bugera too. I honestly have no idea why you're bashing my current gear like it makes me seem less of a human being. It just shows how immature you really are. I don't care how many years you claim to be playing. Players who have been doing it for a long time have respect for other musicians.

and for the record, I bought the Bugera because i bought it as a B-stock as the footswitch was repaired. I got it for £200. Too cheap to not pass up.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by danvwman

I used to think along these lines until I bought my standard. back in '75 I bought an Electra pre-lawsuit LP copy which is as fine a guitar as you could want for about half the price of a Gibson - it was my main rig and I was very happy with it, but it don't compare to a Gibson. I'd put it up against the Agile anyday though
1.TOAD whatever dude ....you say you have only been playing for 4 years.....yet you think you have boatloads of experiance......get back to me in 20.
Yes High end Gibsons are very good and very beautiful guitars I wont argue that.

LP under 2500 are junk compared to others in the same price range. Many have said that..... most LP owners\players will agree too.
Unless you really really want a Gibson or have a lot of cash to blow on a good one they are not worth it.
2. I never bashed anything just pointing things out,people can make their own decision after that.
3. I never said doo dooo about your crappy amp. Untill now.
4. Your pony is gay.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by JKHC

They have money to blow and really want a Gibson. And people will still pay out the nose and ass for them. If they didn't they would be cheaper.

I get over $5000 back in taxes every year. And still have not bought a gibson since I can get the same result for something that cost less and looks cooler.
What the hell!!!
Good reason to consider the Bc Rich Mockingbird? YOU WILL BE LOOK FREAKING AWESOME!

Besides that They sound good, better and bestest, overall the best guitar from BCR together with the higher end assasin's IMHO. You wont go wrong as long as you go test them before you buy them so you know what i'm talking about hehehe.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Heilz
Good reason to consider the Bc Rich Mockingbird? YOU WILL BE LOOK FREAKING AWESOME!

Besides that They sound good, better and bestest, overall the best guitar from BCR together with the higher end assasin's IMHO. You wont go wrong as long as you go test them before you buy them so you know what i'm talking about hehehe.

do I detect a hint of sarcasm? It's just my humble opinion, but comparing a Gibson model whatever to some other maufacturer's "copy" is like comparing a Chey Impala to a Cadillac, or a Honda to a Harley. The Impala looks nice, performs well enough and will give you years of good service. The Caddy, is , well .... a CADDY! It performs better, is better built, will last years longer, hold it's value, etc.

And to get a "really good" PRS/Ibanez/or anything else for that matter, you'll pay the same as you would for a Gibson. If they don't make a model that suits you, this doesn't mean that they are junk, it's just "preference".

Apologies to the TS, as his thread has been jacked
The Caddy, is , well .... a CADDY! It performs better, is better built, will last years longer, hold it's value, etc.

Umm...you may wish to rethink your analogy.

My family owned a Chevy Imapala and 3 different Cadillacs. The Impala lasted nearly 3 decades as it was passed from my folks to others in the family...until a tree fell on it. In comparison, the 3 Caddys combined barely made 20 years.* And due to their crappy electronics, they hold their value worse than almost any other luxury model sold in the USA.

* the last one we bought- in the late 1990s- 2 of our friends bought the exact same model, down to the color. All were off the streets within 7 years.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 27, 2012,
Me thinks you have not worked on a Caddy lately.
Thems just as bad as Dodge now. Lots of stolen europee i n technology.
Ya I only been here a few weeks .......lots of dumb asses in here.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
1.TOAD whatever dude ....you say you have only been playing for 4 years.....yet you think you have boatloads of experiance......get back to me in 20.
Yes High end Gibsons are very good and very beautiful guitars I wont argue that.

LP under 2500 are junk compared to others in the same price range. Many have said that..... most LP owners\players will agree too.
Unless you really really want a Gibson or have a lot of cash to blow on a good one they are not worth it.
2. I never bashed anything just pointing things out,people can make their own decision after that.
3. I never said doo dooo about your crappy amp. Untill now.
4. Your pony is gay.

How old are you? 13? You're acting like one that's for sure.

I've played hundreds of guitars. Both cheap, and ones costing double or even triple the price of what i currently own. I've played the living shit out of every guitar i've owned. The number of years i've been playing doesn't equate to experience. Someone might only be playing guitar casually for 25 years, but someone who plays every day for 5 years would have the same amount of experience.

My point is, the number of years someone has been playing isn't accurate as to how good a guitar player you are. Look at Kirk Hammett. He's been playing for 35 years and couldn't play to save his life.

If you think Gibsons are crap, that's just your opinion. I bought mine for a reason. Its the best sounding and playing guitar for that amount of money. Is it really that hard for you to accept?

When i bought my Epiphone, i was aware that i could've bought a guitar that had a nicer brand name, like Jackson or Ibanez. But instead i looked past the brand name and bought the Epiphone for exactly the same reasons i bought my Gibson. Because it sounded and played the best for that particular amount of money. Unlike you, i don't judge and generalize a guitar's brand, but judge that specific guitar as an instrument. I bought my Gibson because my particular guitar is a great instrument.

Here's an example. Squier CV's. People generally scoffed at Squier before they came around, but now some people are saying they're better than Mexican Fenders. Some say they're the best deal ever. My point is, don't judge a book by its cover.

This also partly the reason why i don't buy anything on Ebay. Because it might be an Ibanez Prestige, but that doesn't mean its the best playing guitar ever. It could be an absolute dog and if its used, there's nothing you can do about it.
Trying a guitar before buying is never unjustified.

and you did bash my gear. You called my amp shit and my guitar shit. So i don't even know how you can say that you're just "pointing things out."

Haters gonna hate on ponies too.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 28, 2012,
A mockingbird special x is a mockingbird shaped copy of a lespaul down to the neck shape scale length pickup voicing bridge volume and control knobs. the only difference is the fretboard is ebony and its a neck through
Mockingbird all the way, they look gorgeous. They sound like a Les Paul but without the generic, overdone look.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Dont gibsons hold there value and sometime increase in value? if so who cares if they cost more if you dont lose money when you sell
Quote by danvwman

Then leave
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by mrbreeze317
do I detect a hint of sarcasm? It's just my humble opinion, but comparing a Gibson model whatever to some other maufacturer's "copy" is like comparing a Chey Impala to a Cadillac, or a Honda to a Harley. The Impala looks nice, performs well enough and will give you years of good service. The Caddy, is , well .... a CADDY! It performs better, is better built, will last years longer, hold it's value, etc.

And to get a "really good" PRS/Ibanez/or anything else for that matter, you'll pay the same as you would for a Gibson. If they don't make a model that suits you, this doesn't mean that they are junk, it's just "preference".

Apologies to the TS, as his thread has been jacked

I'm sorry but i was giving my most humble opinion and i just REALLY love mockingbirds... And i think they are awesome guitars, hence 2 of my favorite guitarists plays them, if you think i'm being sarcastic there you sir, mmm...

TS, seriously, consider which one to buy after you go out and test them out man, i wont tell you how many hours i spend in guitar stores just playing every single guitar over and over for hours just to look something that suits me and that i like...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by JKHC
Then leave

I am not the one with the problem. That fool TOAD accused me of bashing his gear.....I never said jack about his amp untill he wrongly accused me....read this whole thread.....So there. If you look back on any thread I have been in I just point out things I have noticed over 25 years.......Only a few like TOAD like to start shit and say you are bashing stuff......thats why I joined this .....to piss off the fools in here....and evidently its working. I have had disagreements with some people in here but most accept that we have differences....people like TOAD cant and think their word is gold.
What the hell!!!
Quote by dlowe102
Dont gibsons hold there value and sometime increase in value? if so who cares if they cost more if you dont lose money when you sell

High end custom shops yes ...low end mainstream ones...no.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Me thinks you have not worked on a Caddy lately.
Thems just as bad as Dodge now. Lots of stolen europee i n technology.

There is a lot of dumbasses in EG.
You're adding to the population.
Quote by coolstoryangus
There is a lot of dumbasses in EG.
You're adding to the population.

Sorry...but that tood dude bugs me.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
thats why I joined this .....to piss off the fools in here....and evidently its working.

Quote by danvwman
Sorry...but that tood dude bugs me.

Quote by TheSennaj
Page 1 of 2