I'm trying to find out what model this fender p bass is. My dad is buying a storage unit and is trying to figure out whether or not this is an american p bass. I tried to get a closer look but it is hard to tell from the picture. this is the clearest picture we have. any help identifying this bass would be greatly appreciated.

click to see bass
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
The picture is too zoomed out, can't tell you anything for sure about it other then that it's a black Fender Precision with a white pickguard.

If you could get a picture of the serial number I could tell you when and where it was made, but that picture doesn't even give us a clear headstock label to work with.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I can't get any other pictures. This is all we get. If i had a serial number I'd be able to easily tell. Since it is a storage auction we cannot get other pictures or touch the merchandise in the unit.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Assuming it's recently built (ie 2008+) it's more than likely a MIM. It's really hard to tell with the crummy photo, but straining my eyes at the headstock it looks like it's probably MIM too, but could be wrong there. This is of course presuming that it's not a good few years old (as if it is, it's anyone's guess). I can't help but suspect it's MIM just looking at it, the wood on the board, etc, but if it's been played a lot that could just be dirt. I find it hard not to prejudge a Fender style instrument with that awful black body/white plate/rosewood board/plain headstock combination as cheap.
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Jan 26, 2012,
I agree, my first thought was MIM too, but I really can't tell for sure from the photo.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
It looks like one of the Fender, "Squier Series" basses from the 90's. These became the MiM line.

They used MiA quality bodies and necks; Chinese quality Squier parts for tuners, pickups, bridges and knobs; and were all assembled in Mexico.

I'm basing the judgement on the logo. It looks pure black w/o any sort of outline that adorned the Fender Logo later on.

Here's the one i use to have:
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
I'm basing the judgement on the logo. It looks pure black w/o any sort of outline that adorned the Fender Logo later on

But the black logo has a gold outline, its a more recent MIM Standard, and there's no way to see if there is an outline in that photo. Hell, all I can really tell is that its not a 70's style logo.

TS, at the very least go in assuming its an MIM.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
it ended up being a MIM. we bought the unit anyways because it had a nice drum set in it too. It looks like maybe someone who owned a small club stored their things in the unit. There are microphones and some other audio equipment as well.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M