do you use the same strings on a flyod guitar that you do a hard tail. i haven't restrung any of them yet. i think they all have 10's. i use 11's on everything. i like the guitars now as they are, with 10's, but don't care to really stock another gauge of strings in my closet than i do now. i have at least twenty+ .11's. near nine packs of .09"(which i don't use anymore).

the guitars are two Ibanez RG Prestiges, a3550MZ and a 2270, and a Peavey Wolfgang (dive only) are my only three trem guitars. i am more concernted about the ibanez's though.

again i know this is a personal opinion type of thing, but do you use lighter strings with your floyd guitars than your starndard guitars that are intended for a similar use?

same use being same tuning/same genre, maybe gig with both.

my main reason for asking is because i am comfortable with 11's on hardtails, and i am comfortable on .10's for the flyods, but i can't even play a hardtail with .10's, it messes me up.

if it matters more along the lines of melodic death, with maybe a little more deathcore than Children of Bodom, and more melodic than Acacia Strain. i play most in E std or Drop D or C# std or drop B. lots of amps tons of guitars.

short story:

different strings hard tail v. floyd guitars
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, I got 12s on my hard tail. But it's an accoustic.

Seriously, though:

Half my electrics have Fender-trems and the other half have FR-types.

The 2 Strats and Mustang are strung with 10s. The 'Stang feels like 9s due to the shorter scale.

The Prestige has 9s 'cause it stays in standard tuning and I find 9s make it easier for building up speed while learning new songs. The other 2 FR guitars have Skinny Top (10s)/Heavy Bottom (11s). One is in drop D and the other hasn't left its case in almost a year.
yeah i use 10s on my guitars with floating bridges
but 11s on everything else...id move up to 12s as soon as i run of out of these
and i use 13s on my acoustics
in E standard
Last edited by supersac at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by supersac
yeah i use 10s on my guitars with floating bridges
but 11s on everything else...id move up to 12s as soon as i run of out of these
and i use 13s on my acoustics
in E standard

that is pretty much what i am doing. i have used .11 d'addario nickel blues strings (mainly due to bulk packs which save $$$) for the last five years.

i have the .09's because that is what i used prior to 5 years ago, they are rather old.

the only thing is i don't want to get a bulk pack of 10's if i was the only person thinking this way... lol. yes i realize a could buy a pack or two, but two packs would be like $10 and for ~$35 you get 10 sets. worst case scenario i will give them to somebody if they need them.

it seems the full floaters are so nice on 10's i really don't think i will get what i want of it with 11's.

the exception that i am considering though is the dive only wolfgang (i have another wolfgang with .11's) so they are similar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Nope. As long as the scale length is the same, the only difference will be how the bridge feels under your hand.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Nope. As long as the scale length is the same, the only difference will be how the bridge feels under your hand.

i do realize that, to a point. bet for the sake or argument, you have a TOM and Tailpiece (think Gibson) you can lower the tailpiece all the way to the body and the strings tension is increased.

some of my reasoning is that i play different things on the ibanez's than i do one of my LP's or SG's, etc. the ibanez is more of a (hate the term) shred type guitar as far as my use, and blues and metal i play with les pauls and SG's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I use the same gauge on everything. I sometimes like to go heavier on the guitar I use open G on. It's a hardtail, but that is the only exception and it's purely due to the tuning.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 27, 2012,
I don't really change gauges, but on my Carvin (which has an OFR) I always use coated strings. They last at least 5 times as long for me, and I'll gladly pay double for the strings if it means I only have to restring the floyd a few times a year opposed to once or twice a month.

On my LP I usually use regular slinky's, or whatever pack I have on hand.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I used to play heavier strings on my TOM guitars, but now I put 10-46 on everything. Its nice that not all my guitars play identically, the variety keeps me from getting too comfy. Of course, neck scale is the main thing that concerned me when I put different strings on the Floyds, but I did notice that even with similar neck scales, a Floating trem has more "fight" in the strings, they feel just a bit tighter
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I select 1 degree higher on hard tails then my FR ones. Because the lowest tuning I play on FR is C, but on hard tail I go for B's.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I used to play heavier strings on my TOM guitars, but now I put 10-46 on everything. Its nice that not all my guitars play identically, the variety keeps me from getting too comfy. Of course, neck scale is the main thing that concerned me when I put different strings on the Floyds, but I did notice that even with similar neck scales, a Floating trem has more "fight" in the strings, they feel just a bit tighter

Yeah, I notice on my FR guitar that bends are a LOT harder. So much so, that when I go back to my LP I tend to over bend because I'm so used to the extra effort it takes on the Carvin.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
Yeah, I notice on my FR guitar that bends are a LOT harder. So much so, that when I go back to my LP I tend to over bend because I'm so used to the extra effort it takes on the Carvin.

Yeah, now that I am using one universal string gauge I have to watch my bends
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
9/42's across the board, although I'm thinking of going to 8's. (I'm also going to try a set of the Dunlop Rev. Willy's Lottery 7's, just to see...)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Scale length is certainly a bigger consideration than the type of bridge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
assuming the scale length's the same, and i'm not trying to influence the tone of the guitar, then yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
Scale length is certainly a bigger consideration than the type of bridge.

I find bending easier on a hardtail. All the FR guitars I have played on, the bridge rises when you bend, so you need to bend further for the same effect. So you need to use a lot more effort. On my H, a teeny tiny push easily gets me a whole step up. What is a whole step up on my MH, results in something like 2 or 2 1/2 on my H.

Quote by jpatan

Good to see im not the onyl one
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jan 27, 2012,
i dunno about that give thing with trems. i mean, i'm not saying it doesn't happen, but in my experience (which might be entirely psychological ), although that may mean you have to bend slightly further, it actually makes the action of bending slightly easier because it gives with you and means you're not having to bend with as much force all at once. and going back to newton, once something has started moving it takes less force (none if there are no other forces acting, but obviously in the real world there are) to keep it moving, even if you have to move it slightly further.

bit like trying to push a box weighing 10kg, or trying to push a box weighing 20kg with wheels on it. yes, the former is lighter but the latter is easier to push.

as i said, though, that might be psychological. But i always see people saying it's easier to bend on a hardtail and I don't find that at all.

that's not to say i can't bend on a hardtail. i don't really have any problems bending on either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
...But i always see people saying it's easier to bend on a hardtail and I don't find that at all...

Lots of times people overgeneralize and when they say hardtail, they're really thinking Gibson LP/SG style. (short scale, i.e., 24.75") and when they say trem, they're actually thinking Strats and Superstrats (long scale, i.e., 25.5").

There's a smaller cross section of the population who've played Mustangs and Jazzmasters enough to associate the really, really short scale (24") with trems.

That probably confuses the discussion a lot.

Edit: Yeah... I know you can get a Gibson with a trem, even with a Floyd, but 99% of them are hard tails. Just like 99% of Strats have some kind of trem. And yeah, I know that Teles have long scales, yet 99% of them have hard tails, too.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Jan 28, 2012,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I find bending easier on a hardtail. All the FR guitars I have played on, the bridge rises when you bend, so you need to bend further for the same effect. So you need to use a lot more effort. On my H, a teeny tiny push easily gets me a whole step up. What is a whole step up on my MH, results in something like 2 or 2 1/2 on my H.

And are they both the same scale length? I'm not saying that the trem has no effect, I'm just saying that scale length is a bigger factor. Most Floyd guitars tend to be 25 1/2" scale so if you compare that to say a Les Paul with a 24 3/4" then you can't say it's just because of the trem. You gotta compare apples with apples.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And are they both the same scale length? I'm not saying that the trem has no effect, I'm just saying that scale length is a bigger factor. Most Floyd guitars tend to be 25 1/2" scale so if you compare that to say a Les Paul with a 24 3/4" then you can't say it's just because of the trem. You gotta compare apples with apples.

http://www.12fret.com/content/2011/07/11/scale-lengths/

My Charvel Model 4 with LFR is 25 1/2" with 9-42's and the equivalent of Dunlop 6100 frets. These things are huge.

My '57 strat copy is the same scale length but with 10-46's and the 6 screw trem is set against the body with 5 springs in the back and the claw slightly tightened to make it very much like a hard tail. It has much thinner frets, something like Dunlop 6230.

There may be a bit more tension on the strat but with such a drastic difference in fret size not to mention neck radius...

The Charvel has a compound radius of 12"-16" where the strat copy is likely 7.25" or something like that...

Not exactly apples to apples...
Quote by Cathbard

25.5'' scale length, both of em. My bands rhythm player has a 24.75 guitar, its even easier to bend on his
the bigger guage string on the floyd means the springs underneath will have to be adjusted tighter so the floyd will be more stable while sitting at 0 wich the main complaint with a floyd that i have is when palm mutting i tend to push the bridge down wich brings me slightly out of tune. so running heavier gauge strings help