I just started in a metal band, and over the course of a week i've broken every single pick i have.
I've been using 1mm Dunlop Nylon picks.
Anyone got some recommendations?
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
EDIT: Blasted ninjas.

I use these.

They're smaller than normal picks and they make shredding easier.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Last edited by stealstrings at Jan 27, 2012,
thats why. you are using nylon. use tortex instead.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by xhisor
I just started in a metal band, and over the course of a week i've broken every single pick i have.
I've been using 1mm Dunlop Nylon picks.
Anyone got some recommendations?

You're breaking 1mm picks??? well, I guess your next step will be to borrow a ball peen hammer to use...

seriously though, Lighten your attack.... you don't have to beat the guitar up... sounds to me like your amp is just shy of loud enough for you... either turn it up so you don't feel like you have to beat up the guitar to hear your self, or get a new amp... There's no way you should play hard enough to break picks, more or less 1mm nylon
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Second time I've ninja'd you, kiwi.

While we're at it, is there a difference between the red and black picks? I've only ever tried blacks.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
Second time I've ninja'd you, kiwi.

While we're at it, is there a difference between the red and black picks? I've only ever tried blacks.

Meh, not really. I use both. A couple of days ago, I walked into my music shop and there were no black ones. So I got the reds. No real difference...except in the colour.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Thanks guys!
I'll get some of those jazz picks and if i start breaking those i'll go for the hammer.
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
Dunlop Jazz III, theyre best for any style of music other than funk, in which case you should use a thin dunlop tortex.
Jazz IIIs just have immaculate smoothness in the attack compared to other picks plus they make shredding and pinch harmonics easier.
Quote by stealstrings
Meh, not really. I use both. A couple of days ago, I walked into my music shop and there were no black ones. So I got the reds. No real difference...except in the colour.

Ah right. I just remember looking at a list of people who use the Jazz III's and Joe Bonamassa was the only who used red. I can't stand Joe Bonamassa so I went with black.
West Ham United
i hate the black ones, they look so bad IMO. red ones FTW.

EDIT: eric johnson uses red ones.
I once snatched a Dunlop Jazz III XL from a local music store's testing room. Since then nothing else has compared
Quote by LivinJoke84
V-Picks?

This x1000
You'll not regret it
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
The Red ones are made of nylon and the Black ones are made of stiffo, it says on the bag. Slight tonal and feel difference.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
I'm just wondering how the hell you managed to break a pick...? In all my 5 years of playing I've never broken a pick...worn out picks yeah but break?

And Jazz III max grip
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
I have used my Dunlop Gator Max Grip 0,88 pick for about a year now, it's pretty worn out but I've NEVER broken any pick..
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
Quote by King Donkey
Dunlop Jazz III's, I can't even use other picks now.

This. I use the tortex jazz III, and when I use anything else it feels like I'm trying to play guitar with a boat rudder.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
+1000 on jazz IIIs. Nothing else compares. Except the dunlop nylon 1mm I use when I can't find a jazz III.

Also if you're breaking 1mm picks you might wanna stop and reconsider your picking technique... just sayin.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Nylon-picks tend to break, while other materials (like Tortex) just wear down. I'm using the black Jazz III variant mostly, superior picks for any kind of metal or rock playing. They last forever, have a good grip and the size makes them easier to control. The only disadvantage is that they're not suitable for strumming chords.

Sometimes I'm using the green Dunlop Tortex (.88), and while I like the feel of these they wear down a bit too fast.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I use a no-name brand of nylon pick that I love, but the problem with nylon is that it will over time loose it's flexibility and become more prone to breaking. it has never happened to me, so you might need to stop and think about how you attack the strings.

My recommendation would be any tortex pick. They will wear down but they don't break. If all else fails use a coin like Brian May.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
You should instead learn to play guitar.

I play metal and never broke even thinnest picks.
I used to have Dunlop Gator 1.18s or something like that...
Then I tried the Dunlop Jazz III XL picks, haven't used any other picks since then. I think I've used them for about over a year now. Same goes for D'Addario strings.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Use these:

Can't more metal then those
lol
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by unicornfist
Use these:

Can't more metal then those
lol

I actually bought a pack of those some time ago... I feel cheated, they didn't work.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Jazz III are great I use them and Dunlop Gator Grip 2.00mm for my electric playing.
I like the Jazz III more, but the Gators are not a bad option,.
Quote by HomerSGR
Sometimes I'm using the green Dunlop Tortex (.88), and while I like the feel of these they wear down a bit too fast.

I just bought a dozen Tortex .88 greens yesterday. I mostly use them reversed unless I'm just strumming. I have one red .50 Tortex pick that I've used on and off for probably over ten years and it's still going strong. I used to break Fender mediums when playing acoustic so switched to Tortex and haven't looked back.
Quote by King Donkey
Dunlop Jazz III's, I can't even use other picks now.

Quoted for truth. That being said, I've never broken a pick...
Im using dunlop gatorgrip .71mm i used to use the orange tortex but they were to thin and the yellow was to thick but these .71's are nice. whats with the thick pick trend?
I really like Dunlop Tortex H3 picks. They're purple, but they're pretty nice. They've never broken on me, just normal wear from the strings. They have a chalky coating that wears away, but they never really slip away.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
I use the Jazz III blacks... I do even shred at all and for some reason I still find them the best. Sometimes I use the Hetfield Black Fang picks which, despite being signature picks, are actually different from the Tortex ones.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I always drop the jazz or they fly across the room so I switched to the 3.0 big stubby.
Also never broken any picks.
I used to use Dunlop Gels, the red ones, but when they came out with the ultex sharp pick, the one with the rhino on it, i tried one at a Guitar Center and never looked back. 1.14mm for me and i Love them. Never break any and they actually wear fairly slowly.
I use Dunlop 3mm Stubbies, Jazz III XL, and Pitch Black Jazz III picks.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I have a bunch of different picks accumulated over the years.

Some of my favorites:

1) Dunlop stubbies

2) stone picks, typically agate or jade, from places like this- http://www.stonepicks.com/combo.html

3) carbon fiber

4) OK, I don't actually own one of these- yet- but this page has some picks made of Gibeon meteorite. I'm familiar with the material, though- a piece of jewelry i was making with the stuff was responsible for breaking 3 diamond-tipped engraving drill tips. http://www.cosmiccutlery.com/accessories.htm

5) another I don't own but know is out there- tungsten carbide picks. TC is stronger than most of the stuff they use for emergency rescue cutting device blades. http://daveluck.deviantart.com/art/Tungsten-Carbide-Guitar-Pick-79033897

Break picks of any of those, and you may have to finally stop using winch cables for strings...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 28, 2012,