I'm thinking of buying my first classical guitar sometime very soon. I'm totally clueless however in what determines how good a classical is and how expensive it should be.
Anybody know much about classical's and can help me in understanding what it is i should be looking for? I'm not wanting to spend more than a grand. I'm thinking $800 AUD will probably be my max.

Please help as i do not want to get owned by a brootal saleman
Generally rich in lows, not too much high end but not lacking either. IMO the warmer it sounds, the better. Also, the wood should obituary be real, not plywood.
Also, thicker sounding and louder.
Last edited by itamar100 at Jan 27, 2012,
You want a solid top for sure. That is THE most important part personally.
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
wrong forum man. This is more for amps and pedals and other such gear. I would suggest posting this in the correct forum, you will get better responses. Moderators will probably close this.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
play it aside a $300 one, the differences should be obvious a lot of the time.

a solid top is key to a nice sounding classical imo. decent electronics as well.

where it's made can have a big factor in cost obviously.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
you do.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
because of the tonal complexity of classical guitar pieces, you want something with good but balanced response.

a lot of bass isnt good, neither is midrange or highs, you want a lot of it ALL. good volume and balanced response, so you can work with the instrument to get a variety of tones with technique (i.e. where and how you pluck).

thinness of the body woods is a big factor in producing volume. Good classicals are usually VERY thin, so much so one drop could put a huge hole in the back or something. since there isnt much tension from nylon strings, this doesnt usually cause bowing, warping, or bridge damage unless some idiot puts steel strings on it. this can allow the wood to vibrate more freely Ive been told, but I am no classical guitar luthier so im not entirely sure on their construction.

I know that for around $1000 usd theres some decent models here in the US. I like cordoba C10s and C9s for the price, havent been too impressed with the upper end alvarez models for the price comparatively, but I have no idea what the market in australia is like.

Pavan guitars, albeit a bit more expensive are pretty nice, made in spain and the luthier in charge of the company is... czech or something I forget, he licenses the work out or whatever. but theyre nice, and being foreign made your cost might not be too much more than mine in the us. one of my classmates has one.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
If you like the sound, playability, and value... don't let anyone tell you it sucks.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
There are many things to consider, but one is:

You will find that the low strings do not drown out the high strings, and vice versa... there's a very even volume no matter the note.
Classical guitars have more bass then other kinds acoustically. This is important. It has more bass, like scooped mids and balanced highs simply. But well, if it sounds nice to you and is loud, its a nice guitar.