Poll: What is your approach to new things?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is your approach to new things?
I stick to what I KNOW I can play, and I'm happy with that
0 0%
I'll attempt something, but give up if it's too difficult
7 16%
I'm willing to work on something over time if I can't immediately nail it
25 57%
I like to throw myself at difficult pieces even though I know it's currently beyond me
6 14%
I learn anything and everything, because I'm confident in my abilities
6 14%
Voters: 44.
Lately I've been curious about all the different kinds of musicians out there and our own approaches to learning- genre and style-wise, some eat up everything and anything that they can whereas others stick to what they like. In terms of difficulty, some will attempt anything even if failure seems likely and others will shy away from challenges.

But what about YOU guys? What are your thoughts and approaches to tackling new songs, licks and exercises?
Only if I really like the song, will I spend a lot of time learning it. I've been learning "Cliffs of Dover" for a year because I pick up my guitar maybe once a week for an hour.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Well, I tend to write, but I just persevere with it. I like to make licks and riffs which I know are way out of my league because then I can work on getting my game up to that level.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
i tend to stick to what like, i cant see the point in learning songs i wont ejy playing
If there's something I wanna learn, I'll try at it for a good while, and if I don't notice any improvement whatsoever within a few days, I'll note it and come back at a later date. Otherwise, I just play and play until I can get it to a point where I'm happy with it.
One interesting thing I've noticed is that when I'm trying to learn something new and challenging, banging my head against it for hours at a time is often not helpful.

I seem to do the best when I spend some time working on it ... and then play something else for a while. Then when I come back to it a day or two later, first time I try I'm usually better at it than I was when I put my guitar down.
Quote by HotspurJr
One interesting thing I've noticed is that when I'm trying to learn something new and challenging, banging my head against it for hours at a time is often not helpful.

I seem to do the best when I spend some time working on it ... and then play something else for a while. Then when I come back to it a day or two later, first time I try I'm usually better at it than I was when I put my guitar down.

I'm with ya on that there!

I keep coming back to Technical Difficulties (Racer X/Pablo Gilberto) and have been doing so for about 2/3 years xD I notice some improvement each time, so that's a good thing. I love a challenge
I like to play guitar arrangments of classical pieces, so yes, I will be working on it for a long time.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I typically play only what I like, which tends to be anything with a heavy blues influence. Occasionally if I hear a riff or whatever that catches my attention, I'll attempt to learn that, as well.

I've always heard that it's not good to be bound to one genre in such a way, but for me it's hard to pay attention to something that I don't like. (Just ask my high school calculus teacher)
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~