Poll: How politically corrupt is your country?
Poll Options
View poll results: How politically corrupt is your country?
We have very low incidence of formal political corruption. Yay
15 10%
Not too bad.
23 15%
Decadent but not terrible.
34 22%
Too much corruption. Its systemic and uncontrolled.
51 33%
I honestly don't know.
9 6%
I'll give you 400 dollars if you stop asking uncomfortable questions. The boss will be pleased.
24 15%
Voters: 156.
Page 1 of 2
Political corruption is the use of legislated powers by government officials for illegitimate private gain.

Forms of corruption vary, but include bribery, extortion, cronyism, nepotism, patronage, graft, and embezzlement. Corruption may facilitate criminal enterprise such as drug trafficking, money laundering, and human trafficking, though is not restricted to these activities.

Perhaps the most pressing or at least most widely advertised issue in my sub-continent is corruption. Yes, it is rampant and yes it is destructive.

For the purposes of this thread it may be useful to narrate a specific incident of political corruption amongst others. The 2G scam where the Government illegally undercharged mobile telephony companies for frequency allocation licenses looted the economy of 34 billion dollars.

And needless to say the cops collect more bribes than they write tickets.

So how corrupt is your country/state/educational institution/police?
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Basti95
Mafia, politicians and corrupt clergy all up in this bitch.

/thread

Yeah I know, actually. Last time I was in Italy I got mugged by a taxi-driver at the airport. I mean, wtf man...
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Basti95
Mafia, politicians and corrupt clergy all up in this bitch.

/thread

And the people voting for the politicians?
I guess its impossible for anyone to be able to answer this correctly. The question should be 'How politically corrupt do you THINK your country is' as the reality will often be twice that
Not so much.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
The US electoral process is completely corrupted by money. Not bribes per se but campaign donations to one party or another. Our politicians sell themselves for cheap. Ten thousand dollars donated to politicians' campaign funds here or there could buy yourself a lot of influence in Congress.
Meant to click the fourth one, clicked the first by mistake.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Quote by shattamakar
Yeah I know, actually. Last time I was in Italy I got mugged by a taxi-driver at the airport. I mean, wtf man...

Lol seriously?
Considering that most people go into politics for personal gain...?
I know illinois is pretty ****ing corrupt and I'm not just talking about that blevoyagivjioapjkda guy who got arrested.

Quote by CodChick

voting is all ****ed up because politicians focus on winning the idiots over, and it's almost like a ****ing game to them to, rather than actually doing their job when they get voted in. I recall hearing stuff like "Ok this is your base, this is your x, this is your y" and talking about how you should focus on winning the celebreties vote because their fans will vote for you to. I mean really, if you vote for some d-bag because opera is voting for them, what is your vote really worth? Well despite the fact it's totally misguided and stupid it's equivalent to anyone's vote really.

The guy you think is a retarded asshole could have been the best thing for the country, where as the guy everyone loves could drive the country even further into the ground.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 27, 2012,
I don't know, from my personal experience the Unions are more "in it from them selves" than the British government, but then again the government is always seen as the "bad guy". Both sides are extremely bias, making it impossible to honestly know.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Highelf04
Lol seriously?

Seriously.

Also, predicting the poll results...

This Representative Democracy business is seriously not working out. And to think we would have developed a distaste for charismatic bureaucracy by now.
Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If it's corrupt, i don't see any negative effects. I'm pretty sure it isn't though.

I know for a fact that my uni is corrupt and I hate it but as long as I get the education I paid for I'm not going to complain.
cat
Quote by CodChick

Dickheads, favours from the mafia and election rigging. Lots of dickheads, it's all their fault. All the bright people leave Italy.
Could be worse but could be a lot better. Practically every ''important'' politician of ours is under some sort of police investigation. Even the internal affairs minister was found guilty of doing something illegal...something regarding construction and renting a waaaay too expensive place for the police or something. Weird stuff. And there's this guy that was elected to be our prime minister but now guess what. He's not gonna be our prime minister cause one other (biggest douche you've ever seen...true story) guy probably bribed like 10 politicians to vote against the guy being accepted to form the government. SO now this guy will probably be our prime minister. Oh and did I mention that he is in court battling a lawsuit claiming that he was involved in illegal weapons trafficking and something regarding the purchase of 8x8 army trucks from a Finish company. U be the judge.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
The party in power over here are the Conservatives and LibDems, but mainly the Cons. To answer your question, it is kind of compulsory.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Here in Portugal the corruption level is incredibly high.
The government is made up of incompetent, stealing, lying, corrupt bastards. We should kill'em all with fire.

Plus, they affect even private companies... The politicians finance them with public money, and in return they get to place their families and friends in high positions inside those companies.

I swear, i would shoot the prime minister in the face at close range with a sawn-off shotgun if i had the chance. Mutha'ucker.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jan 27, 2012,
It's pretty bad. It's been highlighted recently where Tories have literally no interest in scaling back banker's bonuses and are even letting one guy get a bonus of £1 million when the Government is the majority shareholder and has the biggest say on the board.

In the UK it works like this:

Tories are paid for by City bankers
Labour are paid for by unions

And nobody cares enough about Lib Dems to pump any real money into them.

EDIT: When a Finnish guy is complaining about corruption I don't know how much hope there is for the rest of us.
Last edited by willT08 at Jan 27, 2012,
Other than Quebec, Canada is pretty above board.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by LivinJoke84
I guess its impossible for anyone to be able to answer this correctly. The question should be 'How politically corrupt do you THINK your country is' as the reality will often be twice that

Lots of this. They put so much spin on everything, it's hard to know which way is up.
There hasn't been many cases that have been brought to light like there were say 5 or so years ago, but that could be just a case of our "independent" media in their pockets.

Who knows really?
Quote by Linkerman
Here in Portugal the corruption level is incredibly high.
The government is made up of incompetent, stealing, lying, corrupt bastards. We should kill'em all with fire.

Plus, they affect even private companies... The politicians finance them with public money, and in return they get to place their families and friends in high positions inside those companies.

I swear, i would shoot the prime minister in the face at close range with a sawn-off shotgun if i had the chance. Mutha'ucker.

Here in Spain it's exactly the same. It's been on the news for a long time now. A couple of them (and very important ones) got caught, there were tons of evidence and even voice recordings of them caught in the act.
Well, they've both been declared not guilty this week, even with evidence that would cost a trip of quite a few years on jail to any other person.
The way justice works here is simply terrible and offensive, and too often lately.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by willT08
It's pretty bad. It's been highlighted recently where Tories have literally no interest in scaling back banker's bonuses and are even letting one guy get a bonus of £1 million when the Government is the majority shareholder and has the biggest say on the board.

In the UK it works like this:

Tories are paid for by City bankers
Labour are paid for by unions

And nobody cares enough about Lib Dems to pump any real money into them.

EDIT: When a Finnish guy is complaining about corruption I don't know how much hope there is for the rest of us.

Even though on there Torrie website under the Economy they say they're limiting it to like £2k?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
There's an easy way to know for sure..

Go HERE .

FWIW, FInland is considered one of the LEAST corrupt countries.

And contrary to what some believe, the US doesn't fare that badly either.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I sometimes can't run stop signs without getting pulled over. F*ck the corrupt US officials!
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Not corrupt. Just run by and supported by the worst ideas and views of what's good for the country they could possibly find. I'm so dead tired of the general attitude of swedes i't sickening. People are selfish, blind and believe they have every single right at their side without ever having to make an effort or contribute anything.

People have been spoilt beyond words and now people don't want to make an effort whatsoever to make things right because everyone just votes after what makes their own wallet the fattest.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by EMGs_rule

It wasn't a slight, I was actually asking a question.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Not very corrupt at all. Well, not in the sense that people usually think of corruption. That's why I love this place.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Jan 27, 2012,
You guys know that there is a UN agency that already does this, in a much less speculative format than what we have here
Quote by Arby911

Go HERE .

The US doesn't do poorly in that ranking because it measures different types of corruption. You don't often see bribery or illegality in politicians here (compared to other parts of the world). The rule of law does generally hold true here, the court system is pretty solid, etc.

However, what's LEGALLY permitted in terms of campaign contributions is completely immoral and destroying the country. When our politicians sell influence it's not usually to line their own pockets but simply to get more money for their future political campaigns. So a corporation like Exxon gives maybe $100,000 to one of the major parties' political action committee and all of a sudden executives from Exxon are dining with politicians in the Congressional lunchroom.
Let's just say that elections here are more or less for show. Not literally, but effectively. Elections are decided upon by Wall Street, multinationals, and CEOs, and the funny thing is that most people know that. Ironically, a lot of people who are passionate about politics (at least electoral politics) seem to genuinely think the whole system isn't corrupt from the root, and that any issues with it today can be fixed somehow. They are very unfortunately naive.

As the poster above me pointed out, the US appears to be one of the least corrupt governments in the world, but that's only because their definition of corruption is far too strict. There are tons of loopholes, and they're probably intentionally there. Sometimes they don't even need a loophole.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jan 27, 2012,
I'm in the US, what do you think?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Arby911

Go HERE .

Hot damn, what do you know? Makes sense though.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Page 1 of 2