Hey,

I'v been working on my picking, especially on the low E string, mainly metal style. I was building speed nicely, but hit a plateau. After a few days I established that this was because my pick kept slipping, so I'd start off playing, all going fine, sounding good, but after a few bars my pick has slipped and I sound horrid and loose speed and attack. I have been searching the web, trying to sort this, but just ending up frustrated.

This only happens on the low E. I'v also known myself to do a run down from the top e, go flowing smooth, and then as I hit the low E my pick slips.

Any tips?

Here is some picks of my pick grip. Should I hook my first finger more?
Attachments:
DSCF8737.JPG
DSCF8736.JPG
Last edited by jkielq91 at Jan 27, 2012,
Try using Dunlop Tortex picks. They have a good non slippery feel. I personally use V-Picks. Despite what they look like, they actually have a very good grip. I use the switchblade. It's good for shredding, and it has a very ragged and sharp attack on the string.
Looking at the pics, it seems that you need to curl your index a little more. My pick rests on the side of the knuckle, not the tip of the finger.
Last edited by eatfresh1736 at Jan 27, 2012,
I had a similar issue with my pick slipping and started using Tortex 71-73mm and never looked back, since i started using them I stopped thinking so hard about how I was holding the pick and now when I use other picks again no slippage.
I like the point of he jazz iii. I did use tortex jazz picks for a whle but they wore down really fast.

I may try this out http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/tortex-sharp

eatfresh, do you have a picture?

I should mention also that some times my first finger gets a little sore after playing for ages, which is never a good sign.
skateboard's griptape on the upper part of the pick , both side , in the middle ( not touching the edge of the pick ) ( you dont want the grip- tape to skratch on the strings ) .. cause like you i start strumming and playing and the pick would change direction or slip . ive been playing like that for 4 years now . and never had any problem since . youll never feel like a pick can "slip " anymore .

and btw i hold my pick very close to the tip like you fast playing alternate riff , metal ( like metallica, megadeth ( mustiane hold it like that ) or fast punk rock palmuting . only downside is its harder for whole strumming .. but can would fine with practice .

some will say sandpaper .. but skateboard's grip tape have one sticky side so you dont need glue . when the griptape is too used .. just stick it off and peel another one . . with one sheet of griptape you can make 200 picks

Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by Skysc
skateboard's griptape on the upper part of the pick , both side , in the middle ( not touching the edge of the pick ) ( you dont want the grip- tape to skratch on the strings ) .. cause like you i start strumming and playing and the pick would change direction or slip . ive been playing like that for 4 years now . and never had any problem since . youll never feel like a pick can "slip " anymore .

and btw i hold my pick very close to the tip like you fast playing alternate riff , metal ( like metallica, megadeth ( mustiane hold it like that ) or fast punk rock palmuting . only downside is its harder for whole strumming .. but can would fine with practice .

some will say sandpaper .. but skateboard's grip tape have one sticky side so you dont need glue . when the griptape is too used .. just stick it off and peel another one . . with one sheet of griptape you can make 200 picks

Good suggestion.

Though as I mentioned, I have had a little bit of soreness in my first finger, so I think the way I hold the pick does need changing a little.
try it .. youll see .. i can barely play with a pic who doesnt have griptape anymore .. it doesnt feel secure .

you probably have soreness in your first finger ( index ) cause you dont the pick to want "slip " , you hold it too firmly , and if you play fast and contract your finger /wrsit muscle = pain .

you wrist should remain relax and not contract while playing .. but if you dont hold your pick with enough tension it slip . So use griptape and you should be fine .

** a certain degree of soreness is normal if you play rythm metal stuff . Song like master of puppets , megadeth , slayer , specially fast downstrokes ( think metallica ) etc.. require a lot of stamina from your wrist . alternate picking require a bit less .

ive seen lead guitar player who didnt have the stamina to hold the whole master of puppets . they were good lead blues , jazz , rock guitarist but couldnt hold a song like master of puppets for the whole 8 minutes .

practice and youll built speed and stamina .

and use graptape so you wont have to hold the pick too tight .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 27, 2012,
If it's causing pain, you should probably find a different way to hold it.

To help keep your grip, griptape works wonders. Also try using a small knife and carving some grooves into the pick.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Skysc
try it .. youll see .. i can barely play with a pic who doesnt have griptape anymore .. it doesnt feel secure .

you probably have soreness in your first finger ( index ) cause you dont the pick to "slip " , you hold it too firmly , and if you play fast and contract your finger /wrsit muscle = pain

** a certain degree of soreness is normal if you play rythm metal stuff . Song like master of puppets , megadeth , slayer , specially fast downstrokes ( think metallica ) etc.. require a lot of stamina from your wrist . alternate picking require a bit less .

ive seen lead guitar player who didnt have the stamina to hold the whole master of puppets . they were good lead blues , jazz , rock guitarist but couldnt hold a song like master of puppets for the whole 8 minutes .

practice and youll built speed and stamina .

and use graptape so you wont have to hold the pick too tight .

My problems not with down pick, its alternate. I can down pick with ease way faster than alternate picking. I'm working on getting my alternate picking up to match this. Its going pretty well over all.

Where do you buy that skateboard tape from?

Quote by Freepower
Honestly, your grip looks pretty good. My detailed vid is here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4

It might actually be that you're gripping the pick too lightly, but that's very uncommon.

I dont think it this as I thought I was holding it to tightly. But I realised that wasnt the issue.
If your pick is "slipping," it might not be from how you're holding the pick, but how it is angled against the strings. If it is flat against the strings, it is creating a lot of resistance and that can cause your pick to slip. Make sure your pick is angled slightly so that the left side of the pick is striking the string on a downstroke, and the right side for an upstroke.
had that problem with snarling dog brain picks, switched to dunlop gator picks and now no pick slippage
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads