Page 1 of 2
After failing to find what I was looking for on google, I was wondering if anyone knew how much one single student cost one single tax payer?

My maths are hardly great but would I be incorrect if I multiplied the number of students (1,960,000) by the amount given per year as a grant (maximum is £3,250) divided by total amount of UK taxpayers (60,000,000)?

Answers on a postcard...

Feel free to correct what is most likely horrific mathematics...

EDIT:

After forgetting the extra £5,000 given towards fees per year from the government I'm now getting a figure of £269.5 per tax payer, which cannot be right surely...

Someone help.

TL;DR:

Essentially, what might as well be my mother-in-law is claiming that students are a drain on Britain and wont shut up about it.

I want this figure because I want to be able to turn around and say 'this is how much I owe you *insert tediously small amount*, do you want it in cash or cheque?'
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Last edited by flyingmarlin at Jan 27, 2012,
Don't forget that tuition fees are subsidised for UK and EU students.
At my uni, home students starting this year will pay £9000, but international students will pay £14000. I imagine the difference is covered by the taxpayer.
Too bloody much.
/angrypensioner
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by sashki
Don't forget that tuition fees are subsidised for UK and EU students.
At my uni, home students starting this year will pay £9000, but international students will pay £14000. I imagine the difference is covered by the taxpayer.

Ah see I was just going by using the grant which we don't need to payback, so on top of that I need to add an extra £5000?

Help me to live.

Quote by a_7_x
Not as much as Corporate tax evasion I assume?

THIS.

See my girlfriends step mum decided to criticise my girlfriend and myself because we're students and there for we must be hideous drains upon the populations taxes...

Maybe if she cares so much she should go talk to 'Sir' Philip Green and get him to pay his taxes.

Help me to live.

Quote by SG_dave
There aren't 60,000,000 taxpayers in the UK.

Remember a lot of them are children or on benefits, then thise that are unemployed but don't take benefits etc.

If I'm honest I got the figures from this: Link

And from memory there are 75 million people in the UK. Surely the other 15 million people are children/students/people who don't need to pay tax?

Help me to live.

Not all of us get grants. I have to get loans for my tuition fees, rent and general things like food. The only thing I dont have to pay for is council tax. So not every student gets a grant or a bursary.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03
Not all of us get grants. I have to get loans for my tuition fees, rent and general things like food. The only thing I dont have to pay for is council tax. So not every student gets a grant or a bursary.

Good point. I have to pay for my loan but I get my grant too. I thought this was the norm, do your parents make too much money to allow you to get the grant or something?

Help me to live.

Quote by flyingmarlin
Good point. I have to pay for my loan but I get my grant too. I thought this was the norm, do your parents make too much money to allow you to get the grant or something?

Mine do. I don't live with them and I don't get any financial support from them - but I get no grant and a loan of £50 a month for living costs because of this.

But my tuition fees are paid for me because I'm Scottish, so I can't complain.
Quote by a_7_x

But my tuition fees are paid for me because I'm Scottish, so I can't complain.

Git.

/jealousy.

Help me to live.

it cost rivers of the blood of my ancestors

/rant
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Nothing.

As the money is recouped over years in the form of taxes from the individual, generally at higher rates and amounts than would have been possible had they NOT gone, there is no cost, merely an investment and return on said investment...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The figure is very difficult to calculate, some students pay off their whole loan quickly, some pay it off with lots of interest, some don't ever pay off the full amount, some don't pay anything at all
^^^ This is the real answer. Not to mention a better marketplace in the UK where there are plenty of highly skilled, qualified workers.

EDIT: @Arby
Last edited by willT08 at Jan 27, 2012,
In the short term, less then it costs to pay wages for tube drivers every year. Especially with the fees hike less of the money comes from tax payers and more comes from the students own pocket... something I feel is far more fair.

In the long term, nothing, as if the student gets a decent paying job it all gets paid back anyway.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by flyingmarlin
Git.

/jealousy.

It's shit that if you go to a Scottish uni:
-Scottish students pay no tuition fees
-European students pay no tuition fees
-English/N Irish/Welsh students pay full tuition fees.
Essentially, what might as well be my mother-in-law is claiming that students are a drain on Britain and wont shut up about it.

I want this figure because I want to be able to turn around and say 'this is how much I owe you *insert tediously small amount*, do you want it in cash or cheque?'

Help me to live.

Quote by a_7_x

On the downside, you go to Uni in Scotland.

Quote by Trowzaa
On the downside, you go to Uni in Scotland.

...which has some of the worlds top universities
Quote by ChemicalFire
In the short term, less then it costs to pay wages for tube drivers every year. Especially with the fees hike less of the money comes from tax payers and more comes from the students own pocket... something I feel is far more fair.

In the long term, nothing, as if the student gets a decent paying job it all gets paid back anyway.

But what about the grants which are paid to the student which do not need to be paid back?

Quote by a_7_x

Help me to live.

Quote by flyingmarlin

For just one person it would more than likely be less than a penny, and certainly no more than a pound.
Quote by ButtHurt©
...which has some of the worlds top universities

Yeah I know, let me rephrase.
You'll live in Scotland.

Quote by flyingmarlin
But what about the grants which are paid to the student which do not need to be paid back?

They don't explicitly pay for the grant, but once they get a job and pay taxes, they return the money over time.
http://www.hesa.ac.uk/content/category/1/1/161/

Gives some nice data

there's 62,218,761 people in the UK overall.
Last year there were 2,501,295 students in higher education (eligible for grants)

£25.9 billion was spent on higher education by the government last year as well.

So, the spending per student comes to £10354.63

If everyone in the UK paid tax one student would cost each taxpayer 1.66x10^-4 quid a year to support.

So less than a penny by my maths. But I wouldn't trust it since I've been out of practice for over a year.
Quote by willT08
For just one person it would more than likely be less than a penny, and certainly no more than a pound.

See this is what I originally thought, however I wanted a figure I could write on a cheque and give to her for the lulz

Quote by SG_dave
http://www.hesa.ac.uk/content/category/1/1/161/

Gives some nice data

there's 62,218,761 people in the UK overall.
Last year there were 2,501,295 students in higher education (eligible for grants)

£25.9 billion was spent on higher education by the government last year as well.

So, the spending per student comes to £10354.63

If everyone in the UK paid tax one student would cost each taxpayer 1.66x10^-4 quid a year to support.

So less than a penny by my maths. But I wouldn't trust it since I've been out of practice for over a year.

You legend!

My original figures were considerably off!
Well as I said I assumed it would be around that amount, just wanted to make sure!

What would that figure be as a fraction of a penny, do you know?

Help me to live.

Quote by flyingmarlin

Yeah. They can only just afford to help me along though because my sister has a lot of extra activities and stuff and my dads company isnt having a great year :/
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by a_7_x

I hate this so much, if I was from the Republic I wouldn't be paying!

Quote by Trowzaa
Yeah I know, let me rephrase.
You'll live in Scotland.

I go to St Andrews, it may as well not be Scotland.
Quote by flyingmarlin

I thought not getting a grant was the norm? I get a grant, but I think it's far from the "norm" so to speak.

In any case aye as has been said you pay interest on loans so it's not entirely drain drain drain.

EDIT: ^ and yeah, good point from Hislop there really. Taxpayer pays for your education, you then get a job and pay taxes. Simple really.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by aaronni
I hate this so much, if I was from the Republic I wouldn't be paying

Yeah, I have friends from Belfast studying in Glasgow & Edinburgh. But am I right in saying that N Ireland is even more ****ed up in that if you went to Queens or something, you'd pay - but if you went to the republic to study it'd be free?
Quote by a_7_x
Yeah, I have friends from Belfast studying in Glasgow & Edinburgh. But am I right in saying that N Ireland is even more ****ed up in that if you went to Queens or something, you'd pay - but if you went to the republic to study it'd be free?

Not sure about fees in the republic, only know a couple of people who did that. Certainly pay at Queens!
Well, she probably got to go to uni for free so she can shut the hell up.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Some grants come directly from the University. The other grants are basically a form of benefits, but it's far lower then you'd be paying to someone actually on benefits because it's only paid three times a year and the sum isn't THAT large (depending on your household income)

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by aaronni
I hate this so much, if I was from the Republic I wouldn't be paying!

I go to St Andrews, it may as well not be Scotland.

My mate goes there.
The swine.

Yeah St.Andrews and Edinburgh are only one step down from Oxford and Cambridge, both in the Russell Group.

Edinburgh turned me down because I applied with one none-classical subject, the bastards.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 27, 2012,
It's a pretty small amount. No one I knew at uni got more that 1k a year in grants. Most got less, I got none, which was a royal pain in the arse.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by Blackbullet
Well, she probably got to go to uni for free so she can shut the hell up.

The fact she's making such an argument probably gives away that she didn't go to uni and wipes arses for a living...

Help me to live.

Page 1 of 2