Hey guys,

In the coming two weeks I wil finally have some time to try out some amps and maybe also some guitars. But for amps, what can you guys recommend me to do. And then I mean the actual process of trying out. where should I pay attention to and such.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
gonna need some more info pally, what kind of sound are you looking for, what kind of music do you play, etc.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I'm not really asking for which amp suggestions (welcome ofc) so thats why I didn't mention it. But my focus will be 500 euro's, rock/metal such as metallica, megadeth, ozzy osbourne, children of bodom, five finger death punch etc. And I like vai en satch like styles too.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by Patrick89 at Jan 27, 2012,
well theres a bunch of high gain amps out there that are good for the metal styles, don't know how many good ones you can get for 500 euros, but what you could do is make sure you get a really good amp that can get pretty clean, then just use a pedal to get more gain. check out the ac15 by vox, or if you wanna go american the hot rods or blues juniors by fender are good too.

i will never agree that they are good amps, nor do i ever say to someone they should waste their money on them, but a lot of people get modeling amps when they are trying to decide what direction they want their tone to go in, so thats an option as well.

have fun!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Is the amp inspiring to play? Does it sound good with the guitar you'll be using? Do you have to play with switches and nobs for hours finding your tone or do you plug and play? Is it a one trick pony and are you cool with that? If you'll be playing live with it, make sure you can run its paces at gig volumes. If not, you might find something that sounds good in your room and find it sounds like crap at the first show you use it at. I don't think anyone has ever found their tone at bedroom level.

I just demoed a Bogner Brixton. They call it the Brixton because a ton of brix fall out your pants when you crank the gain on that thing! haha! Jokes aside, it does high gain VERY well but not much else. I got some good classic tones out of it by turning the gain almost off. It can get close to clean but not very. Its a single channel so that severely limits what you can do with it if you need more than one sound out of the amp.
@bpdeem, thnx, that is the kind of advice I was looking for.

more is always welcome!
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30
an AC15 for hard rock / metal?!?!?

If your main focus is metal and hard rock, you're best bet is finding an amp that does those tones without a pedal. (maybe an OD). Running a distortion pedal into an AC15 would generally not give you the greatest results for that kind of music.

+1 to bpdeem. Really put the amp through it's paces and make sure it's a good fit for you. If you're not a fan of tweaking an amp, something like a mark IV would not be for you. But if you like fiddling with settings, then it may be great. Try all sorts of EQ settings and see what kind of range of sounds you can get from it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I have been looking for a new amp lately (finally decided on the Tweaker 40 with a 2x12 Egnater Cab). Looking for an amp I first decided if I wanted ss or tube. Then combo or head and cab. Then a ballpark of how many watts I was looking for. Then for what I wanted out of the amp (1 channel, 2, OD, mod, reverb, etc). After making those decisions it narrowed down what amps I wanted to take the time to test out. I then checked what was important to me, how it handled what volumes I needed, how it handled the guitar I use, how it handled effects, etc. What range of sound I wanted. Pretty much, all you can do is play and trust your gut.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
pretty much what has been said already
yes - use your own guitar
start with the eq at 12 noon
is the amp noisy when the volume is turned up
how does the amp sound when the gain is maxed
listen for the amp farting out
then listen to the high notes
turn the knobs back and forth - is it scratchy
how difficult is it to dial in a tone
Test Bugera amps. I advise the Bugera 333XL. It's about 450 euro. full tube. search it on youtube
Thanks for all the advice guys! Maybe some of you can tell me what they exactly do when demoing amps. The points of which you think is important for an amp. maybe you guys can let me realise something that is new to me.

I've been wondering about those bugera's. i know about the reliability issues from the earlier runs but i keep hearing bugera suggestions more and more despite those issues. Are the newer bugera's reliable or not?
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by Patrick89 at Jan 28, 2012,
If I'm seriously considering buying an amp, ask the sales guy (if you're at a GC or something similar) if you can have him move it into the custom amp room or mesa room. That way you can just crank it and not have to worry. At a specialty shop, they'll probably set it up for you and turn it way the hell up before you're even holding a guitar. Pretty much sit down and play it after that its all been said.

Also, ask about special features, like deep/bright switches, does it have a voice switch (usually USA, AC, Brit), what tubes does it use, power selection, what's on the back panel (this is a good one ex: for mesa's super feature loaded backplates), how does ____ work? If you see a dial or a switch and the label doesn't automatically tell you what it does, ask. They guy should know, and if he doesn't, buy off ebay or the classifieds.

No problem for the advice! That's what forums are for!
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!