Title pretty much says it. I'm making a guitar with a mahogany / walnut neck. Can I fill the grain with super glue, sand flush and still finish it with tru oil? Or does tru oil need a certain type of grain filler?
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
if you're unsure, use a test peice! If not, sand the woods to 320, wipe it clear with a tack cloth, then apply a bunch of the oil and sand it with 320. The sanding will cause a thing they call "slurry" which is just wood dust that will fill your pore, and still add a first coat of oil.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Super glue as a grain filler? Then Tru-oil for finish??

Unique, to say the least!

I'd go w/what nowa sez..like ta use 3M pads in decreasing grits. Otherwise, use a sanding sealer and several (lotsa) coats of laquer. Personally; I only use oil products when I *want* the grain to show/be felt.
Quote by deltaten
Super glue as a grain filler? Then Tru-oil for finish??

Unique, to say the least!

I'd go w/what nowa sez..like ta use 3M pads in decreasing grits. Otherwise, use a sanding sealer and several (lotsa) coats of laquer. Personally; I only use oil products when I *want* the grain to show/be felt.

It's not very unique, lots of builders use super glue. It doesn't color the wood pours like some grain filler does.
but it does bring out the grain, leaving that "wet" look! I plan on doing this or the slurry method on my current build.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.