Right i played a gig last week and i had abit of a problem. For some unknown reason to me my low e string poped out of the nut twice. It wasnt the end of the world and i covered it but it would be nice if it never happened again.

I Tryed new strings they were dr neons and i think the gauge was abit thicker than i normally use. Will this make a difference?

Its happened a few times to me before changing strings tho so i didnt think it would be that.

If it makes any difference i use a fender tele 72 deluxe.
Thicker strings will make a difference, yes. If your nut was properly set-up on the thinner strings, it would be spaced just so that the string fit snugly inside.

A thicker string will almost lay on top of the nut, because it wouldn't slide right in. This would make it easy to knock out.... Are you planning on using your regular strings again? 'Cause if you were, that would clear the issues right up.
Happens to me too. The cut in the nut is very shallow on mine.
The way I solve it is I make sure there's enough slack on the 6th string so that it's being pulled down into the tuner.

Like this:

I hope that helps.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
when i saw Motorhead, every bass kick shook the place

when they played Overkill at the end i nearly involuntarily shat myself
Well i was gonna change to 10-52 gauge and i used to use 10-46. So is that ill advised with my guitar? cause to be honest now i think of it even a 46 gauge looked like it sat on top of the nut tbh, it deffinatly didnt slide right in.
That's treating the symptoms. Get your nut filed properly.

^To TS, if you're set on using 52's, noone's stopping you; Just make sure to get your nut filed.
So if i get the nut filed it will solve the problem? also if i get it filed for a 52 gauge will it still be ok to use with a 46 gauge if i dont get on with them?
Quote by Y00p
That's treating the symptoms. Get your nut filed properly.

If this was directed at me, lolnah. This guitar is broken anyway, I'm gonna get another one.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
when i saw Motorhead, every bass kick shook the place

when they played Overkill at the end i nearly involuntarily shat myself
Ok cheers for the help everyone i guess ill need to get my nut filed lol, is this something i can do myself or one for the guitar shop?