...and what did it teach you, apart from learning to play the music?

The last piece I learnt was Canon in D, arranged for guitar. I learnt about ornaments and that shit.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
other than my own stuff, a few days ago i got down all new materials by periphery. i never played with drop tunings much until recently, and i did get some interesting fingerings out of it. other than that, it's just an addictive tune.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
The last piece I learned was Tongue-Splitter by Protest The Hero, which both confirmed my love of chromaticism and offered some ideas on how to subtly vary and transition between themes in a rock context, which is something I've always struggled with.
Quote by juckfush
The last piece I learned was Tongue-Splitter by Protest The Hero, which both confirmed my love of chromaticism and offered some ideas on how to subtly vary and transition between themes in a rock context, which is something I've always struggled with.

i just love playing the tapping parts
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I learnt to play One Armed Scissor by At The Drive-In. It didn't really teach me anything new, I just wanted to play something that I didn't have to think too hard about.
Fernando Sor's study in Bm. I can't really say if it taught me anything I didn't already know.. I suppose it's good practice for pauses?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I learned Talk of the Town by Darren Rahn. That is to say, I learned to play the sax lead on guitar.

Some parts took a while to get down, especially the rhythms.

It taught me, yet again, that there is more possibilities for creativity with just a minor pentatonic scale than I thought.

"Damn I can't figure this part out!!"

20 minutes later...

"Ooooh it's a pentatonic thing..."

Waves, by Guthrie Govan,

RE> SPECT.
Since I've been loving you-Led Zeppelin

Suppose it taught me more about phrasing and playing over chord changes
Rolling Sly Stone- RHCP
I learned part of it when I first started playing and I just came back to it the other day.
It taught me about staccatos, scratch that, made me learn about staccatos. I don't know if they're actually used in the song or not, but whoever wrote it in GP used them. I had no idea what it was(i originally thaught it was a ****ed up dotted note ), so I went and looked them up. Now I some extra musical knowledge stuck in my head. It also had some kinda awkward chord changes in it(at least the were awkward when I first attempted it)
"For me it's important to be in balance. To not let fear get in the way of things, to not worry so much about protecting yourself all the time."

"Muskrats live in my wah wah pedal."

-John Frusciante-
i learned someone like you - sungha jung version
towards the end of the song i was able to pick up any fingerstyle pattern quite easily
Take On Me by A-HA on keyboard. Since it's like the third real song I learn on keyboard it was many new things, especially technique wise. Also I found that, yes, metronomes are as important for piano as they are for guitars after first having learned it and then failing hard when trying to play it with the metronome.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
I can't play it all yet, but I'm currently working on The Road Less Traveled by Mattias Eklundh. His harmonics are ridiculous, but I'm starting to get used to them.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Burn - Deep Purple. I wanted to start working on learning some solos (I am more a rhythm player than a lead one generally) and that solo seemed doable, but a little challenging.

So I'm half way through the solo and there are two bars of fast alternate picking My speed is stuck at 133 BPM, the song is in 194 BPM

So it's teaching me to improve my ecomony of motion mainly as I don't see how I can improve any further without making less movement!

It's doing my nut in!!!