Hey guys, ever since I started playing guitar about 2.5 years ago, I have wanted to play the Beast and the Harlot solo, and well, I have learned it bit by bit, over time, and now Ih have finally decided to trudge through it and learn it perfectly. My problem is, I just can't seem to get it fast enough to where it sounds like it does on the record. Mainly the second half, after the unison sliding. I know Syn Gates does everything picked, and well I would love some advice on how to nail this epic shred solo.

Thanks in advance if I'm not on.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

alot of people are going to tell you to use a metronome, but personally i slow the song down in windows media player and perfect it at a slower speed while playing along, then play it FASTER than it is actually played, no matter how many mistakes are made. then go back to normal speed and see how you do and just keep repeating. thats the approach i took to learning most Wintersun songs and it seemed to have worked quite well for me, but everyone is different.
hope that helped a bit.
Just keep on practicing it daily, after a few months/years you'll get it.

Keep it as your long-term song to learn.
Thanks guys, It has been my long term goal.for a long time, that slower/faster approach seems worth try! Next time I pick my axe up I'll do try it, thank you!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Well, the thing is, no-one wants a guitarist that can play 220bpm 16th note sextuplets if he's sloppy. My point is, always play at a speed at which you can play it perfectly. Try playing it flawlessly 3 times in a row, at any tempo (with metronome though). Got it? Now, increase the bpm by 3-5. Practise until you can play it perfectly at that speed. Repeat for hours.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by LordPino
Well, the thing is, no-one wants a guitarist that can play 220bpm 16th note sextuplets if he's sloppy. My point is, always play at a speed at which you can play it perfectly. Try playing it flawlessly 3 times in a row, at any tempo (with metronome though). Got it? Now, increase the bpm by 3-5. Practise until you can play it perfectly at that speed. Repeat for hours.

Flawlessy 3 times in a row ?????

times that by 50 and then increase the metronome by 1-2bpm and then nail it another 150 times in a row. You need to seriously ingrain the lick in your muscle memory.
You're probably more focused on playing the solo than the actual techniques BEHIND the solo.... Take some time to work on your lead guitar skills (which Syn uses quite well) and then go for the solo.

I'll usually take and hear the solo a few times and just find some way to play it ad lib. If there's a part that I can't get, stop the song and play the lick by yourself a couple of times, then I'd start the song again. Keep repeating that until you get it down.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Practise it over and over for many month? I don´t know about that. It´s good to commit to a piece of music and put a lot of effort in insead of only learning it superficially and go on to the next one. But propably your time is spend more efficiently if you learn other stuff in the meantime and come back to it in a couple of weeks/month instead of grinding hours and hours on a few measures that overburden you for the time beeing. You will grow as a guitar player much faster. If you realise you´re hitting a wall and don´t progress appropriatly spend your time elswere to progress overall. When you come back to it you will likely have reached the next step.
Thanks guys, I guess that's really all there is to it. I've been grinding it for the past three days and have noticed some improvement, so it's not all bad.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by Facecut
Practise it over and over for many month? I don´t know about that. It´s good to commit to a piece of music and put a lot of effort in insead of only learning it superficially and go on to the next one. But propably your time is spend more efficiently if you learn other stuff in the meantime and come back to it in a couple of weeks/month instead of grinding hours and hours on a few measures that overburden you for the time beeing. You will grow as a guitar player much faster. If you realise you´re hitting a wall and don´t progress appropriatly spend your time elswere to progress overall. When you come back to it you will likely have reached the next step.

+1
This approach is worth a shot.

___

You realize Shred isn´t a technique by itself right?
It is mostly a combination made of incredibly good control of the basics as well as proficiency on other technique and tons of little details..

You will nail it if you keep trying, no doubt about it, but for time efficiency you would be soo much better off practicing other things that are much more relevant to shreding than trying to learn a shredded solo.. because if you already know the notes by heart and your muscle memory knows the song perfectly yet you still cant play it at the desired speed, there must be a some underdevelopment in the basics..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 28, 2012,
The chromatic part where the descending notes are to be played twice as fast the ascending ones is insanely difficult to play at full speed. Thus will have to improve your alternate picking to a really good level. I have practiced this singled chromatic passage for about 1 year (irregurarly though) and I still can't play it clean at full speed. So just practice this chromatic part with the metronome regularly and do some other stuff, as it will take time.
Definitely by no means an easy solo. You'll need to practise your alternate picking and your chromatics a shitload. I stray away from that solo because chromatics drive me mental.