Hello,

I recently got into singing (i already play guitar) and if this new interest keeps itching me, I'd might take a chance on it and spend some serious time and energy in it.

Now the thing is, I don't have a good place or house where i can practice singing. I have housemates and i'm kind of ashamed to start practicing doing sclaes and all the other basic but important exercises. Besides, since i'm a complete beginner, every sound i make will sound awkward, which doesn't help in NOT being ashamed in front of others. I know i shouldn't mind what others think (i'm old enough for that), but still, for me it also is something completely new and i have never done it before.

So i'd like to know, how do you guys think about it or how did you handle it when you'd like to practice singing without having a good location?? (think about housemates, etc. etc.).

Also, how much should i practice singing? I already play 2 to 2.5 hours a day guitar, and i'm not willing to cut out from that. Is for example, an additional 1 hour for singing each day enough???

My goal (if this interest keeps on i'll like it) is to sing somewhat on a high level (professional?).

Thank you for reading and for responding
Last edited by soulnrock at Jan 27, 2012,
I practice in the car! Lol.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
You might want to sing in a desolate place for a first few months until you become anything other than absolutely bad. A car is a good start.

About time? I actually NEVER measured how much I sing, how often or whatnot, but I do practice it seriously, but only when I feel like it. I'm enjoying every moment of it, never forcing myself. Just do it when you feel like it.

The great thing about singing, is that you can also do it while doing other things. When I play video games I have songs playing in background and I sing them, for example.
Anytime you find yourself alone...just milk every little chance you get.
Eventually you'll start to get a bit more confident, and you'll be singing with people in the next room or something. It works in little steps.

I'm still an awful singer but i like to think i've improved over time this way lol
thank you for the headsup bingeandletgo, I'm not that active on these forums and i did take a quick look over the subforums, but i obviously missed the Singing and Vocals subsection....

I'll contact a mod and ask whether it can be moved to the correct section.

Thanks
Quote by vacant_pistol
I practice in the car! Lol.

I do this a lot. Ripped my voice up on the commute home last night.

You could just sing a long with your guitar, running scales etc. That would be really helpful in getting a handle on pitch/accuracy.

As strange as it sounds (this was actually recommended to me by a singing instructor), if you stick your face in a pillow, it will dampen the sound considerably. You could scream at the top of your lungs and someone standing just outside the room wouldn't hear a thing.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
If there's a highway or some busy road close to where you live, you can use the opportunity. You'll still be able to hear yourself, but if there's anyone else around, your voice will be drowned out by the sound of the cars. You don't have to worry about disrupting the silence or anything like that.
Quote by snipelfritz
I do this a lot. Ripped my voice up on the commute home last night.

You could just sing a long with your guitar, running scales etc. That would be really helpful in getting a handle on pitch/accuracy.

As strange as it sounds (this was actually recommended to me by a singing instructor), if you stick your face in a pillow, it will dampen the sound considerably. You could scream at the top of your lungs and someone standing just outside the room wouldn't hear a thing.

I'm definitely going to try this, I usually sing "powerful" stuff so I need to sing really loud and I have no doors in my house, I'm not ashamed, but loud singing can disturb others.
Quote by soulnrock
Besides, since i'm a complete beginner, every sound i make will sound awkward, which doesn't help in NOT being ashamed in front of others.

99% of non-musicians don't realize that your singing is not great. If your singing is lively, animated and you get the rhythm and feel of the song, you're good to go. I've sang songs at gigs that I watched later on vid. I cringed and blushed at my performance and the crowd applauded. Go figure!

Whenever I get insecure about my singing I think about Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Neil Young, Mick Jagger, David Lee Roth and countless others who don't sing well in the classical sense, but are none the less famous vocalists.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
thank you for the quick replies everyone.

To those that already are singing and practice seriously.....do you take lessons? what exactly do you practice your singing with? I read that basic (by some people found boring) exercises like scales and fifths etc. are very helpful....do you guys do that too or are you only singing actual songs?

Do you litterally scream it out or hold back? I tried singing along some scales and intervals on my guitar, but i noticed i was really holding back the volume of my voice due to being ashamed...

EDIT: Jesus_Dean thank you for your motivational reply!! I really appreciate it and i also like you signature!
Last edited by soulnrock at Jan 27, 2012,
Start playing bob dylan, and learn your friends songs. That's how I started
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by Jesus_Dean
99% of non-musicians don't realize that your singing is not great. If your singing is lively, animated and you get the rhythm and feel of the song, you're good to go. I've sang songs at gigs that I watched later on vid. I cringed and blushed at my performance and the crowd applauded. Go figure!

Whenever I get insecure about my singing I think about Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Neil Young, Mick Jagger, David Lee Roth and countless others who don't sing well in the classical sense, but are none the less famous vocalists.

Took my example... It's good you're working on it, but as long as you have emotion and can keep pitch and not lose your voice (i.e me in the car in less than an album) you are pretty golden... And don't be a boring singer... Stage presence!
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Quote by soulnrock
thank you for the quick replies everyone.

To those that already are singing and practice seriously.....do you take lessons? what exactly do you practice your singing with? I read that basic (by some people found boring) exercises like scales and fifths etc. are very helpful....do you guys do that too or are you only singing actual songs?

Do you litterally scream it out or hold back? I tried singing along some scales and intervals on my guitar, but i noticed i was really holding back the volume of my voice due to being ashamed...

EDIT: Jesus_Dean thank you for your motivational reply!! I really appreciate it and i also like you signature!

Singing has a lot to do with self-confidence, so that needs practice. I personally never took lessons or plan to. I mean, if you just practice singing, and practice it well, you'll eventually get good at it.
Quote by soulnrock

I try to relax as much as possible. If you're relaxed there is much less danger of hurting your voice. I also sit alone and practice with my acoustic. When I think I've pretty much got it, I'll play for friends and that helps build your confidence. I also practice with headphones for songs I'm insecure about. I've also thrown out uncounted songs that I was unhappy with because I couldn't sing them well enough..
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
Quote by Orryn
I'm definitely going to try this, I usually sing "powerful" stuff so I need to sing really loud and I have no doors in my house, I'm not ashamed, but loud singing can disturb others.

Where do you shit?

If you ever feel insecure about your voice, just think for a moment. Dave Mustaine sings.
Quote by caeser1156
Your dick could still have a chick even if that chick had a dick
In the shower.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Car, shower, park, infront of strangers because they don't know you so they can't judge you. I do it a lot in the park or at school. I think I have some good tone, so im not too shy about it.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Blackholesun00
Do your scales! And always warm up.

do re mi fa so la ti do ti la so fa mi re do
Quote by snipelfritz

But, what about when I have to record my dulcet tones?
Quote by hriday_hazarika
But, what about when I have to record my dulcet tones?

sing into a microphone?
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Without bothering teh neighbours. >_>

My pillow is a microphone!

lol, alright. But I think you could be onto something. Maybe you could put the microphone in your pillow. It's ridiculous, but it might work if that's really your situation and you don't have any other options.

I do think you should record your self so you can listen to yourself. You can't really hear yourself properly while you're singing because the vibrations travel through your skull and interfere with the sound waves your eardrums are picking up. That's why your voice always sounds so much different from how you think it does.
Thank you all for the replies.

Today i was practicing a little bit again (for about 20 minutes at 21.30pm, due to the time i couldn't practice long). I practiced the Ionian scale (i.e., C major scale) along on my guitar. This was the third time i was 'practicing' and although they were quick sessions, i find i have much less trouble singing a major 3rd interval (C-E) than a few days ago! (i do not claim i'm a professional or good at it though ).
I did it with a pretty loud voice and it feels so much more natural than when you dampen your voice.

By the way
, should i practice ALONG my guitar, or first play the scale on the guitar, then try to mimick it with my voice without the sound of the guitar (which is much harder). What is the correct and most efficient way?

Besides, what are some good exercises on training my articulation? (because i think i do not articulate words well)

Also, do you guys know some other basic exercises than scales?

(i think i'm going to make a schedule with strict times for practicing singing, and if after a time i still love it, i'll take lessons or so).
Last edited by soulnrock at Jan 28, 2012,
Btw: Today i was practicing for another 30 minutes or so. I mainly did scales (C major scale, but i had troubles with the fifth interval and higher (C-G and upwards). It was like anything higher than the G was out of my reach somehow). After a few tries, i recorded myself (nothing professional or anything, just with the buildin macbookpro microphone).

Anyway, i noticed my voice was sounding very shallow. I was practicing on a high enough volume of my sound (and along my guitar), but still i noticed this shallowness in my voice . This shallowness was especially and most notable in from the fifth interval and higher.

I have to say that in the past when i recorded myself talking either with a computer or with a phone (just for fun), i always found my voice to be pretty shallow....like i have no control at all over my voice.

With shallowness i mean the lack of this crisp, timber 'thing' in the voice. It's like my voice is being produced without proper breathing, it lacks this 'clearness'

Is this a thing that can be taught by taking lessons and correct practice? Or is my voice just doomed and i have no singing voice no matter what i try??
Last edited by soulnrock at Jan 30, 2012,
^maybe you're not really singing out of your voice's "sweet spot" ? What range would you say you honestly are, and what range would you wish to be(maybe say a singer who you often listen to and say "thats what I want to sound like!")

I used to say I wished I sounded like Sam Moore. Very High tenor, until i heard of Wilson Picket, who did the same lines, just in a baritone like my voice.

EDIT: sometimes we CAN hit the notes, but not very musically if you know what I mean
Last edited by willwelsh816 at Jan 30, 2012,
To be honest, i really don't know in what range my natural voice is.

In the past (and still to this date, in a lesser extent though) i always thought my voice was a tiny bit higher than the average guy's voice. But to be honest, i really have no clue since i have never even sang a sung with any interest or enthousiasme. Besides, i have never listend to my own voice (be it either singing or just talking) from a recorder for more than 5 seconds, so from a third person view, i'm not that familiar with my own voice (of course in 'first person view', it sounds natural to me, but the voice outside a head is a bit different in recognition than in one's own head due to the vibrations in the skull).

In the field of singing, i'm actually a complete beginner and have no knowledge of anything regarding my own voice....

How can i find out what range fits my voice best and which ranges are (supposed to be) hard for me? Remember, i have absolutely no experience with singing or a thorough understanding of the capabilities of my own voice (i.e.: i have no clue whether i have a good voice or not, since i don't even know how to measure this).
Last edited by soulnrock at Jan 30, 2012,
Sing to songs you like, it's the best way I can tell you. Just sing along, try to match the singer's voice as best you can. You'll increase your range step by step, it takes time.

Most of all, sing to songs whose vocals you want to emulate. Like I said it takes time, then you'll know more about what your voice can and can't do.