Poll: Favourite British Alternative/Indie band?
Poll Options
View poll results: Favourite British Alternative/Indie band?
The Courteeners
3 17%
Arctic Monkeys
16 89%
The Vaccines
4 22%
The Wombats
2 11%
Voters: 18.
None of the above really, I would've gone for Maxïmo Park or Bombay Bicycle Club. But out of those choices, The Vaccines.
The Arctic Monkeys are the only really good current post-punk revival band from UK. They may not be virtuoso instrumentalists, apart from the drummer, but they still have some of the best songwriting and lyrics of any genre. The Courtneers, The Vaccines and Wombats sound amateurish in comparison. The Kooks who fit that mold too are also not as good

However, there are other bands in the past like the Libertines who are as good in those departments, but yeah, they're not existant right now.

Radiohead makes every group sound amateurish musically, but they're in a slightly different genre to those listed groups.
Last edited by Fedoricecream at Jan 28, 2012,
Quote by TheReverend724
Arctic Monkeys fucking suck

and post punk > post punk revival

No problem in claiming post punk is better than post punk revival, you can make a case for it. No problem not liking the Arctic Monkeys, but anyone who claims the Arctic Monkeys "****ing suck" doesn't really know what they're talking about. Sure people have different opinions, but some opinions are dumber than others.
Quote by Fedoricecream
No problem in claiming post punk is better than post punk revival, you can make a case for it. No problem not liking the Arctic Monkeys, but anyone who claims the Arctic Monkeys "****ing suck" doesn't really know what they're talking about. Sure people have different opinions, but some opinions are dumber than others.

Some opinions are dumber than others, especially when you don't back them up with any type of reason

No, Arctic Monkeys are a pretty lame band. There's a metric shit ton of stuff that sounds like them out there and their fans alone put me off the band.
Some opinions are dumber than others, especially when you don't back them up with any type of reason

I have explained why the Arctic Monkeys don't suck, scroll up. Come on mate, get it right first.

No, Arctic Monkeys are a pretty lame band. There's a metric shit ton of stuff that sounds like them out there and their fans alone put me off the band.
Saying that there are lots of other similar sounding bands isn't really a justified criticism. Plus, any similarities with any other bands isn't more than the similarities between other bands in the same genre. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains in Grunge are no more dissimilar from each other than Arctic Monkeys to other "similar" bands. **** me if you give that as the reason why you'd think Nirvana are "****ing shit".

Not sure on the fans thing, every band has some annoying fans. Guess the variability in Arctic Monkeys fans means there's a greater chance to find the type of people you hate within the fanbase, as opposed to you either hating all of or not hating any of the fans of Justin Beiber or something.
Last edited by Fedoricecream at Jan 29, 2012,
Well your argument doesn't really hit with me because all those grunge bands aren't that good. Just bastardized-angsty-half-assed rock.

I like it how you ask which of these are our favorites like they're the only four "indie" bands in Britain.

Also who the hell are the Courteeners?
Arctic Monkeys are good. And I never got why post-punk revival was called post-punk revival.
Quote by Fedoricecream
anyone who claims the Arctic Monkeys "****ing suck" doesn't really know what they're talking about. Sure people have different opinions, but some opinions are dumber than others.
lol