Poll: Jackson Pollock: Great art or not?
Poll Options
View poll results: Jackson Pollock: Great art or not?
Yes
50 38%
No
41 31%
Don't care
13 10%
Who's Jackson Pollock?
28 21%
Voters: 132.
Page 1 of 4
I'm a huge fan of Pollock, but I get into some arguments. What's your opinion?
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Last edited by Toadvine at Jan 28, 2012,
I think it looks cool and all, but i've never been one to understand the fellation over his works.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
From a quick google search.

He's shit.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Oh, he's one of those people who throws paint on the canvas and gets paid millions. Great.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Oh, he's one of those people who throws paint on the canvas and gets paid millions. Great.

He's actually the one who started the whole thing. Some of his paintings are valued higher than the Mona Lisa.
Not even an art snob, and you people are fools

Quote by Vitor_vdp
See above.

Quick! Quick! Backpedal faster!

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Last edited by moscaespañol at Jan 27, 2012,
He's got a cool concept. I'd never pay for one of his paintings. His method and technique are art, but the product is just meaningless splattering on a canvas.

EDIT: just read Zoot's link. Again, it's cool he could do that, it's fascinating to read about, I'd love to watch him work, but that doesn't translate to paintings I would ever care to look at.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by Zoot Allures
You're wrong too. See above link. Everyone saying this stupid shit is wrong.

I see you getting extremely pissed at anyone who tries to disagree with what you're saying. Am I right?

Quote by Zoot Allures
The above post says 'meaningless splatterings' that could apply to any art by your logic since i've pointed out that his paintings are not randomly done.

I'm actually referring to my own post.
I think his work might be something you have to see in person. They have his painting 'Mural', at the Figge where I live. It's about twenty feet long, and eight feet tall, and it's absolutely stunning. He did it all in one session.

People who think you can't do great art at a fantastic, frenzy of speed, should consider Kerouac.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Quote by Zoot Allures
It's annoying to see people claim it's 'random' and all that because it isn't, that's all.

They're just saying what they think upon looking at his paintings without any knowledge of his techniques and the such like.

Quote by Zoot Allures
The above post says 'meaningless splatterings' that could apply to any art by your logic since i've pointed out that his paintings are not randomly done.

Well, no. The Mona Lisa is clearly a picture of a woman and not 'meaningless splatterings'. To any member of the non-artistic public, it is just meaningless splatterings. Only people who look into it know that it's not.

Quote by Trowzaa
Well, no. The Mona Lisa is clearly a picture of a woman and not 'meaningless splatterings'. To any member of the non-artistic public, it is just meaningless splatterings. Only people who look into it know that it's not.

In which case it becomes a meaningful splattering.

... bravo
Quote by Trowzaa

I'm not a massive fan of his work but i don't think it looks like meaningless splatterings really. Even without reading that article it's obvious he's put in effort into it.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I'm not a massive fan of his work but i don't think it looks like meaningless splatterings really. Even without reading that article it's obvious he's put in effort into it.

Putting effort into it doesn't always have a positive effect on the work. He can put a lot of effort into it and it can still look like meaningless splatterings.

Quote by padgea7x
Putting effort into it doesn't always have a positive effect on the work. He can put a lot of effort into it and it can still look like meaningless splatterings.

BUT IT'S NOT MEANINGLESS SPLATTERINGS

WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

Quote by moscaespañol
BUT IT'S NOT MEANINGLESS SPLATTERINGS

WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

YO NO HABLO INGLÉS!

SI, FLY.

Quote by padgea7x
YO NO HABLO INGLÉS!

POR QUÉ TIENES UN GATO EN TUS PANTALONES?

Quote by moscaespañol
POR QUÉ TIENES UN GATO EN TUS PANTALONES?

No puedo hablar de que el lenguaje

Suppose I was a successful musician who wanted to make a tribute to those who helped my career. I make a list of all the people who helped me in chronological order and assign each a number based on how much I like them. Then I get a blood sample from each and condense their genome to a number.

For each of those people, I produce a sine wave at a frequency equal to that number and an amplitude equal to my depth of feeling for that person. I lay those out chronologically as a six minute audio track. The result is a piece of music that summarizes every other person's involvement in my musical career. Here's the thing--nobody listening to it will ever figure out that it means anything, they'll just hear screeching and dissonance. Maybe some people will think "I bet there's a meaning behind this," so they'll look it up, and I'll explain what it means. Maybe other people will just like it. Most people will never listen to anything more than the first three seconds, because why would they? It's just noise, no matter how much work I put into it.

So was it art, what I did? If so, a Jackson Pollock is art.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Just because his art isn't accessible or appealing to a lot of people doesn't mean it's not art. If that were true then Animals As Leaders or BTBAM wouldn't be art.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I don't see what the big deal is. Anyone could drink a gallon of paint and then throw it up.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Probably the most overrated artist there ever was. He's the angry birds of painting.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Probably the most overrated artist there ever was. He's the angry birds of painting.

Psh, you probably play Temple Run.

Quote by moscaespañol
Psh, you probably play Temple Run.

Pfft, I played Temple Run before it was cool.
Seriously.
It wasn't even in the top 250 when I stumbled upon it

Page 1 of 4