So I was talking to a friend of mine about how a group I played with recently did stuff that was not suited for my rig, I use a twin reverb and a JC120 and with these guys I was playing a lot of your run of the mill rock stuff that was made famous on a jcm800 and other high gain giants.

he said he would let me play around with his sonic maximizer, it would in no way turn a fender into a high gain amp, but when used right it could fake it pretty well.

so my question i guess is just to get some sort of clarity on what the SM actually does, i don't really do high gain stuff, and i'm not about to rush out and get a jcm800, but i wouldn't be opposed to picking up the stompbox of it if it would be worth it.

my main gtr is a strat, and a LP that will be getting dimarzios put in it soon, and i use a rat pedal for distortion, and a modded ts9 for overdrive.

any light you guys can shine on this topic would be great!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
No, that's ridiculous. A Sonic Maximizer is a simplified equalizer that digitizes your sound. A lot of bands use them in guitar rigs, but they were originally intended for hi-fi and home theater setups, as well as use in processing stage production sounds.

It's not going to turn a low gain amp into a high gain monster.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I don't believe it's digital or digitizes. My understanding is that it affects the phase of the signal differently for different frequencies to realign them. My experience with the pedal was it made the sound more airy or open from a angle but made it harsher when directly aligned with the speaker. So a glorified EQ sounds about right.

Not sure how that anything to do with high gain except maybe it has an affect on high gain tone your friends like.
It sounds like a really expensive way of scooping your mids. Tested one out with my rig back in the day. Didn't like it for dirty tones. Liked it for the clean channel.

Not really sure what it does but I didn't like it.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
It sounds like a really expensive way of scooping your mids. Tested one out with my rig back in the day. Didn't like it for dirty tones. Liked it for the clean channel.

That's actually what came to mind first, the mid scoop. I'm not sure if I'll bother with it, after doing brief and not too in depth research all it does is realign the sound that comes from the amp before it goes out of the speakers...
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
It is just an EQ pedal really and it isn't digital but if you turn the controls up high enough it does seem to introduce some digital/processed qualities.

I don't think it's what you need in this situation though I'm not really sure what you need. Sounds like you may just need the right distortion pedal and possibly and EQ pedal depending on how good the tone control is on the distortion pedal.

I personally would take my amp and guitar down to the music store and sit there and go through some pedals until I found what worked best.
Just go out and get a nice distortion pedal. You've got good clean amps to use as a platform for it. Maybe a Wampler SLOstortion or Plextortion, or a barber Dirty Bomb? A Big Muff if you want Gilmouresque tones. Depends on how dirty you want to go. I'm sure others more into distortion pedals will chime in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 29, 2012,
My own closest familiar equivolent to a Marshall-in-a-box would be the Xotic BB Preamp (BB does stand for bluesbreaker afterall), but I'm sure there are other decent "Marshally" dirt pedals out there. I'm just not 100% on how the BB would sound in front of a JC120. Maybe it'd be good, I dunno.
Look at the AMT pedals. They have the Legend series M1 pedal that is essentualy a JCM 800 in a pedal box. Now the Legend series is an actual pre-amp ($125ishUSD) so it would go in the FX retun not the front of the amp.

They also make the JFET stomp boxes that are made to go in front of your clean ch. The M-drive would suit you fine if you still want the clean ch of your amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You could also haunt Ebay for an ADA MP1. They sometimes go very cheaply if you are patient. Then run it into the FX return on the JC so the JC becomes your power amp. A Marshall JMP-1 would be better but they normally run into a lot more money than the ADA.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification