Hey Everybody, I'm looking into getting a new guitar, and while everybody's' preferred guitar's can be subjective, the one thing that isn't, is the sound they produce.

I play mostly punk rock, rock, and some alternative, and I'm a huge blink-182 fan, which is why Im looking into this guitar:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Tom-Delonge-Signature-ES-333-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar-104826169-i1382796.gc?esid=tom+delonge

With it's Gibson Dirty Fingers humbucker pickup I know it can produce that sound I'm looking for.

But.... I also really dig the Epiphone Les Paul, and I know what it brings to the table...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Top-Electric-Guitar-102040508-i1149990.gc

$500 is about my price range, and I like both guitars, and I know the sound that I'm trying to get out of my guitar. So while the Les Paul may be a better option in general, I'm just trying to gauge the opinions from the community about which of these 2 guitars would be best for producing the sound I want.

Although the Tom Delonge custom can do that, I want to make sure I'm not simply paying for the name when there is potentially a better option out there.

I appreciate any input you guys may have. Thanks.
I'd get the LP myself. Pickups are a bit weak but with a decent amp you'll get the tones you want. Can always upgrade pups later. If you even have an amp that'll make it worth it.
I've never understood why epiphone makes signature series guitars for musicians who played a gibson...or why there's any appeal to buying one. I guess all brands do it, but it just seems ridiculous. I'm gonna buy the slash signature series epiphone les paul, so i can feel like what slash would have felt like if he never sold an album.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Have you looked into the Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Deluxe? Despite the cheesy name (in my opinion), I heard it's a nice overall guitar.
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
The epiphone dot (not the Tom Delong model) is actually brilliant when it comes to this style of music I have one myself. If you want more info just ask
I never liked the epiphone of Tom delonge signature .. or his stratocaster signature with the Duncan invader or the epiphone with the dirty fingers .

his best year were with his les paul / stratocaster ( not signature )

all the Tom delonge signature model are overpriced for the suburb kid who ask their dad a guitar to look "punk" . Pathetic . thats the target market when you endorsed tom delonge . .

No offense ive been to every blink 182 concert in montreal since 1996 ( chesire cat ) before they rise to fame . and the best year were the dude ranch tour and the chesire cat tour . that was their best tone . and tom used his les paul back in the day ( the red wine with BILLABONG sticker on it ( 1998 tour ) into his mesa boogie triple recto .

Go epiphone les paul or if you want better for the money .. go Agile 3000 series ( les copy ) . theyre overall better than epiphone for the money ( better construction, bridge , nut , tuners etc.. ) for cheaper . the sunburst of your epiphone on guitar vs the sunburst of the agile = Agile will be more beautiful . i tried epiphone in store before buying my agile .. i wouldnt even compared .

and im a fan of blink since 1996 .. and dont buy signature model . get a les paul with a good amp and your set . Delonge sound is crappy on the new album and self titled album .

chesire cat and dude ranch = best albums
enema of the state and TOYPAJ = good albums
Self titled and neighborhood = blah .. new style not punk rock anymore .

Agile 3000 > epiphone les paul standard . cheaper and better . Graph tech NVS bridge , ebony fretboard etc.. .. this guitar rock . youll get more for the money , buying from Rondo is buying form the manufacturer instead of buying from a store ( no midde man/store taking their cut ) , rondo doesnt print catalogue , endorsed artist , you save all the publicity money that company spend . really for the money .. i would never expected such great guitar . i have another one on the way .. receiving it monday ( already have a Agile 3200 )

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss13.html

nothing more cheesy they owning a signature model IMO . specially for punk rock . get a Agile les paul .. you cant go wrong . buying a otm dleonge is only trying ot look like someone else instead of finding your own style . be yourself man .

** and i agree with previous comment about epiphone making signature of people who play gibson . Dleonge used a gibson .. probably form the cusotm shop .. he doesnt care about his 500 $ signature model . his guitar is probably 2500 $ . same for billie joe who has a signature Gibson les paul jr and play with a real 57 les paul jr or custom shop .

Agile 3000 ... 425 $ + 25 $ shipping. read review but everyone who played own a agile 3000 will tell you they are far superior to Epiphone standard . ive played both and youll thank me for buying an Agile 3000 over a epiphone standard for sure .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 27, 2012,
Linking to guitar centre only works for people in the US now, as they've started up international orders. A link to a manufacture website or full model name would be appreciated.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I recently had an Epiphone LP Custom delivered and I'm actually impressed with it. I wasn't sure at first, I'd never had an Epiphone and only had really heard the negative side and it's Chinese made. But it's actually made well, the real thing for me is that the guitar resonates well. You can feel it vibrating and it sounds good unplugged. I figure down the line I could replace the bridge and tuning machines if needed and I've already got a SD Alnico II Pro coming in to replace the bridge humbucker. The stock pickups aren't bad, but they're missing something to me.

It's no Gibson though. It's a well made guitar for those of us who can't afford an actual LP right now. Plus it's able to be upgraded later.
Last edited by Fenderexpx50 at Jan 28, 2012,
fednerexpx: China or Korea ??? im pretty a Epi lp custom with be made in korea ..not china ( Japan , korea , china , indonesia = different market and quality craftmanship ( yes its all imported guitar but its night and day difference between japan an indonesia . ) . Korea is IMO the new japan of the 90's .. people still doubt about them but company start trusting them . they built great guitar for the money . the higher rangr LTD deluxe series is built there and the guitar are awesome .

n-e way were not gonna debate Epi les paul over Agile . they both come from korea .. but pull out the spec sheet of the "Epi standard vs agile 3000" Or "epi custom vs Agile 3200" and IMO agile win all the way . but thats personal opinion , epiphone are good too , so if you like them go for it . But the higher end agile are the best guitars for the price . and they are cheaper than epiphone .
but either of them will be good for punk rock .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 28, 2012,
I'm not sure when, but Epiphone moved production to China from Korea. It might have been around 2006 or so. I know about Korea, my X-50 is Korean made and it's a great guitar. It was my first non American made instrument and the one that made me realize that not all good guitars are made here.

I've been looking at Agile guitars for a while, but I've never bought one. They do seem to get good reviews and seem solid. I'd really like to get one to see how they are. I do like the specs on the 3000 models. The only thing I don't like is the inlays, as small as that is. I'm not much on that. I would like one though for a dual EMG 81 setup. It'd be a cheap way to get that anyway.
fenderexpx: if you want an agile Al series ( le spaul shape ) with EMG 81 .. your better off buying an LTD EC-1000 deluxe right away . the agile will cost you 450 $ + 200 $ emg81 + install set up . Not worth it .. get a LTD ec-1000 that will easily be as good as the agile if not better .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
agiles were made in the same factory as older epiphones, as well as several other companies, from the same bin of hardware and material.

the only thing you can say about agile is that they will sell for a little bit less, and that's because they don't have any physical store so you're buying a guitar and hoping you'll like how it feels when it shows up. I wouldn't pay before playing with an epiphone, doing it with an agile is just as foolish imo.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig
I've never understood why epiphone makes signature series guitars for musicians who played a gibson...or why there's any appeal to buying one. I guess all brands do it, but it just seems ridiculous. I'm gonna buy the slash signature series epiphone les paul, so i can feel like what slash would have felt like if he never sold an album.

Same reason Squire makes sig guitars, or LTD makes sig guitars. Lower price point = way more sales.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Same reason Squire makes sig guitars, or LTD makes sig guitars. Lower price point = way more sales.

I'm not questioning why the companies do it, that's obvious. I'm questioning why the artists put their name on a guitar they wouldn't play.

Actually I already know the answer, they're sell-outs.

So i guess i'm really just questioning why you'd buy a signature series guitar when the artist didn't play the guitar in the first place. Kinda like MC Hammer making a signature series of emo pants.
Quote by stepchildusmc