How do you build a guitar. I know what wood, what pickups etc... how do you make the neck, put in inlays, binding. How do you route the guitar, is it possible without a router?
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Jan 27, 2012,
The neck is wood with a route down the middle to put the trussrod in, and then a fingerboard on top. The inlays are carefully cut out pieces of whatever you want epoxy'd into small routes. Binding is routing around the edge with some binding put in. Routing is done with a router.

Someone besides me could answer better.
Guitar building requires special skills and special tools. If you're really thinking about building one, or are interested in it, I would recommend you check out the Warmoth site. You can select the materials needed to custom build your own guitar. You can go so far as to have them finish all the parts, then ship them to you for assembly. You can even purchase the raw materials, so you can build your own guitar from raw blocks of wood. A lot of guys have tried it this way first, before diving in and doing it all on their own. Building a guitar in this manner will give you a lot of insight as to what it takes to make one on your own.

http://www.warmoth.com/
Quote by dragonkidkoga
How do you build a guitar. I know what wood, what pickups etc... how do you make the neck, put in inlays, binding. How do you route the guitar, is it possible without a router?

Sand paper + patience
A good working knowledge of carpentry tends to help...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Spaztikko
read the rules: "no how do I build a guitar???" thread.

sorry, but I really need help. I don't want to use warmoth, i just need to know how to route, bind, and inlay.
look up sully's guitar garage on youtube he will show you how its done.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
creep around here,youtube, and the projectguitar forums, or go pick up Melvin Hitchcocks book ( I think thats his name)
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90
creep around here,youtube, and the projectguitar forums, or go pick up Melvin Hitchcocks book ( I think thats his name)

^ This.

You're not going to get a sufficiently comprehensive answer to your question in a single thread, from a single user. You're best-off spending some time around the boards and picking things up.
Quote by ChemicalFire
A good working knowledge of carpentry tends to help...

No carpentry, dad's dead and he was the carpenter.