..hmm.. i've been practicing for a while. i can sorta do she-wolf and raining blood. but that's it, i can't do the metallica gallopy thingys.

I'm just wondering, cuz I always start with a downpick

DUD DUD DUD DUD
D DUD D DUD D DUD D DUD DUD DUD

aaand. i read a post where someone strictly alternated?? soo rainin blood would be like DUD UDU DUD??? ?? what are your comments on that??
i do it DUD DUD. You get more power out of down strokes than you do up strokes, and it feels more natural for metal.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMGs
Quote by luxeion
..hmm.. i've been practicing for a while. i can sorta do she-wolf and raining blood. but that's it, i can't do the metallica gallopy thingys.

I'm just wondering, cuz I always start with a downpick

DUD DUD DUD DUD
D DUD D DUD D DUD D DUD DUD DUD

aaand. i read a post where someone strictly alternated?? soo rainin blood would be like DUD UDU DUD??? ?? what are your comments on that??

There's no need to alternate pick; the only alternate picked gallop-like pattern that I'm aware of is the main riff in Bleed by Meshuggah.

The real idea behind keeping the standard DUD pattern is that you keep your hand moving in constant 16th notes and just skip out on one of the strokes, keeping the rhythm otherwise is really hard.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.