This buzz is only audible when I'm using distortion.

I think it might be the guitar because I've tried it on two different amps (5150 combo and vyvpyr 75) and I still have the same problem.

I have lots of buzz if I'm facing on direction and if I rotate my body (and the guitar as well) 90 degrees the buzz goes away almost compleately.
I have a three way toggle (damien FR) and if I switch to the middle or neck position it gets progressively worse.

The only reason I'm not positive it's the guitar is becasue I'll bring it to my friends house and I don't remember hearing any buzz when I'm set up over there.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
Bad pickups or grounding issue? Problems like this are common with cheaper guitars. If you can afford it, I'm quite certain it would be worth your while to upgrade the pickups and the electrics, and preferably have a professional do it, even though it's good to learn to do that stuff yourself, too.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
how can I tell if it's pickups or grounding?

I actually just got that 5150 not too long ago so I don't lots of money to spend on new gear. However, I would very much like a new guitar in general. I don't know if I'm comfortable upgrading the one I have now. I think the amount of money it would take wouldn't be worth it.
Do you get any of this when you're on a clean channel?
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
That's odd. Could be feedback due to bad accoustics...
That or the grounding thing.
I don't think there's actually something wrong with your guitar...
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
In my bedroom. I live in an apartment complex.

Also at my buddies gargage.
Quote by stealstrings
Could be the cable.

Not the cable. I've tried half a dozen, most of them new.
Does the guitar happen to have active pickups? I had a very similar problem to yours were the clean channel would be fine but the lead channel would be horribly noisy. Almost like there was a tornado in the amp.

It turned out all the noise was coming from a dead battery. I removed all the wiring, dreading weather or not i killed my pickups somehow. When it just turned out the bettery needed replacing.

If your guitar has passive pickups. It may well just be a grounding problem. Check every single connection inside the guitar. Make sure the pots are properly grounded and are bolted in tight. Make sure the connections to the jack are good
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It's a damien fr ( I am starting to dislike this thing) so it's got the "fake" (passive) EMG's in it.

I'll have to check all the pots and connections tomorrow. It's close to 2 a.m. here and the girlfriend is getting very annoyed.

I'm pretty sure all the connections are good. Could it possibly be interference from other elctronics?
Like videogame systems or computers?
Quote by zilant
This buzz is only audible when I'm using distortion.

I have lots of buzz if I'm facing on direction and if I rotate my body (and the guitar as well) 90 degrees the buzz goes away almost compleately.
I have a three way toggle (damien FR) and if I switch to the middle or neck position it gets progressively worse.

It is the pickups picking up mains hum from a device in your room. Cables are able to do that too. You can try to arrange your cables differently or turn off your powered devices including especially power supply packs while the buzz appears and try to find out if you can modify it.

Do you use single coil or humbuckers?
I've got 2 powerstrips in the room but only one needs to be on at a time and neither are required for my amp.

guess I'll shut everything off and see if it helps.

I'm using humbuckers.
Quote by zilant

I'm pretty sure all the connections are good. Could it possibly be interference from other elctronics?
Like videogame systems or computers?

Possibly. Eliminate the variables. Switch off all the appliances in the room and hear out for any hum from the guitar.

Appliances that use great big transformers, such as fridges, televisions, computers and monitors tend to create the most noise. Fluorescent lighting does it too.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 28, 2012,
I turned off everything. I put it in another room. Nothing seems to help.

I did however find out that if you turn the volume up on the clean channel you will hear a slight buzz just like you do when it's distorted. I guess the distortion brings it out.
If your hand touches the strings or the bridge, does the noise go away?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
what is your gain set at on your amp? You may need to lower it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If your hand touches the strings or the bridge, does the noise go away?

No.

And my gain was virtually off on the clean channel but there was still buzz.
you may have a bad pre-amp tube. Do you have any extra 12ax7's ? If you do try it in all the positions 1 at a time to see if that maybe causing the hum.
Not saying it is, but it is a good place to start checking.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
you may have a bad pre-amp tube. Do you have any extra 12ax7's ? If you do try it in all the positions 1 at a time to see if that maybe causing the hum.
Not saying it is, but it is a good place to start checking.

The buzzing was there before I got the tube amp. It present in my Vypyr 75 as well.