For a fun project, I've been rebuilding this First Act I got from a friend for free. I got it all back together, but the strings are getting the way of each other. The 2nd and 5th strings are hitting the 1st and 6th string tuners, and the 3rd and 4th strings run into the 2nd and 5th tuners. I'm sure this has something to do with the fact that it has new tuners (but I can't imagine why this would happen, considering the old and new tuners are in the exact same place), and something to do with the derpy headstock that has the tuner holes in a slight "V" shape rather than being straight. It definitely didn't do this originally. Any suggestions at all on what I can do about this?
:E

tune the strings the other way. The right way.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
but please take a picture first! i gotta see this...
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Quote by jthm_guitarist

tune the strings the other way. The right way.

They're around the tuning pegs in the correct direction, if that's what you mean. I'm not sure why that would be your first assumption...
Quote by Formina_Sage
They're around the tuning pegs in the correct direction, if that's what you mean. I'm not sure why that would be your first assumption...

If they didn't do that before you took it apart the only logical reason(with out pics) is you wraped the strings the wrong way on the tunning pegs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's an angled headstock (three per side) and there are no string trees. The strings are wrapped in the correct direction. I know the guitar I'm currently working on is bad, but it's just for a fun project; I'm not completely clueless . I'm trying to think of what might have caused this... I haven't changed nut spacings, although the one on there is new. The new tuners are in the same holes (Had to bore them out to 10mm, and although they didn't seem to drift it's possible that they did just enough. The old tuners almost but didn't quite get in the way of each other before the mods), and have the same size post. Honestly since it's just an old cheap guitar I might end up plugging the holes and re-drilling them. Nothing to lose, really.
I apologize for the slow response and especially for the bad quality cell phone pictures.
Yes, I know there's an ugly dent in the headstock, haha, and the strings are hardly wrapped around the posts at all because I just put them on quickly to demonstrate what's going on.

Ruler to show the tuners are aligned. I misspoke in the OP--3rd and 4th strings are not a problem. It's just the 2nd and 5th.

Better lighting, shows off chips/dents more, oh noes.

Nut spacing hasn't been changed, so that's not the issue.

The best guess I have is still that the holes drifted slightly while boring them out to 10mm. If that turns out to be the case I'll just redo them entirely.

EDIT: This is the best picture I could find on the internet of the headstock of this model with no mods.
It looks to me like it's really cutting it close but I don't think the strings are colliding with the other tuning heads.
Last edited by Formina_Sage at Jan 30, 2012,
Yeah plugging and re-drilling would probably be best.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It does look like poor headstock design. The low and high E tuning pegs should never have been that close in the first place. Best bet is to plug the holes, adjust the spacing, re-drill, re-sand, and re-paint.

My guess is the new tuning pegs are perhaps a bit beefier and maybe that's what's causing the difference now.
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs