Sometimes when I look at stuff on ebay or craigslist things will say "smoke free/pet free enviroment".

I live in a fairly small apartment and my mom smokes (though not in the room where my gear is) and I have a small short-haired cat (stays almost exclusively in teh room where my gear is) and was wondering how bad, if at all, these affect my stuff.

Also, My cat has a habit of using my 5150 combo as a giant steppnig stone to get up onto the windowsill. is this bad for them amp? I'm just sick of trying to shoo her away and don't want to waste my time if it isn't that big of a deal.
Quote by mmolteratx
It's more of a hygiene/smell thing.

Well I its an indoor pet and my gear gets cleaned about once every 2 weeks or so...
I hope thats enough for it not to be an issue...
Unless it poops or pees on it then I'd be fine if buying gear from you I guess.
But I love animals so meh...
As far as smoking goes...well if she'd smoke in the room u kept gear in then I guess the wood can get all ya know...smoked up? But I don't think it would effect your guitars much since they're painted and lacquered and stuff.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
Unless it poops or pees on it then I'd be fine if buying gear from you I guess.
But I love animals so meh...
As far as smoking goes...well if she'd smoke in the room u kept gear in then I guess the wood can get all ya know...smoked up? But I don't think it would effect your guitars much since they're painted and lacquered and stuff.

Never been smoke in the room.

The pet only jumps on it every so often. Guess it isn't in issue then.
It's always a good idea to remove all traces of DNA after buying or before selling gear. Clean gear gets better $$$ and when you receive gear, it's nice not to worry about the previous owner's cooties or funk smeared on your gear if you clean it thoroughly first.
the thing about smoke is that it leaves a residue on everything. It gets everywhere. It gets in switches and gums them up, it coats contacts and makes them sticky... it's not good for electronics. The good news is that it takes YEARS for it to really leave enough residue to be a problem, and even then the amp would have to be in the same room as a smoker for a long time. The previous owners of my house smoked, and when I moved in you could take a sponge to the wall and see a clearly visible clean streak. That was probably not even enough residue to cause a problem with electronics, and they lived there like 10 years before me.

So... TL;DR, it shouldn't really matter. Some people won't buy gear if it was used by a smoker, or had pets chewing on it. Most people don't care though.

EDIT: I bought an amp from a heavy smoker once, and for the first few months I had it the thing smelled like an ashtray every time I cranked it up.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Jan 28, 2012,
Just check for fur buildup in the amp at times and give it a clean with a vacuum cleaner or compressor.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Those are some nice cats, Cathbard! What are they?

As for me... My cats aren't interested in my gear, apart from the little one who'll oggle my fingers when I'm playing. They don't chew on my guitars or pedals and they don't even shed that much...

As Ippon said, there's nothing a good cleaning can't -and should- fix.
Yeah, my cats slept on my amps until I stacked them so high they couldn't reach the top. Now they use my friends spider stack, while it fails as an adequate gigging amp, it apparently excels in the cat comfort department
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Y00p
Those are some nice cats, Cathbard! What are they?
They are some type of turkish angora but not purebred at all. The white one looks like a turkish van, even has the bichromic eyes. He's the grey one's father.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've seen a few guitars owned by smokers over the years where you can take a decent cleaning solution on a clean rag to the guitar body and the rag comes back looking like a shitty diaper, smoke coats *everything* if you're smoking around your gear.
Jpatan, I have a couple of Jensen speakers from the early 60's that came from a recording studio that was obviously full of smokers- every time I crank my amp up my speaker cab smells like someone is smoking a cigarette lol.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by Y00p
As for me... My cats aren't interested in my gear, apart from the little one who'll oggle my fingers when I'm playing. They don't chew on my guitars or pedals and they don't even shed that much...

Yah, forget I said that. I just found my headphones:

Quote by Cathbard
They are some type of turkish angora but not purebred at all. The white one looks like a turkish van, even has the bichromic eyes. He's the grey one's father.

Nice.
Quote by jukejointjohnny
I've seen a few guitars owned by smokers over the years where you can take a decent cleaning solution on a clean rag to the guitar body and the rag comes back looking like a shitty diaper, smoke coats *everything* if you're smoking around your gear.
Jpatan, I have a couple of Jensen speakers from the early 60's that came from a recording studio that was obviously full of smokers- every time I crank my amp up my speaker cab smells like someone is smoking a cigarette lol.

Yeah, it's crazy how much smoke can coat everything with a thin sludge.

On the topic of pets... I'm SEVERELY allergic to cats. So bad that if you have a cat, I'll start sneezing and getting puffy eyes just by standing within a few feet of you for more than 30 minutes. And cat dander is VERY difficult to completely remove. I'm not sure if I would pass on an amp that had cats crawling on it, but it would be a consideration for me. My allergies are bad enough without adding a possible source of irritation.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
Yeah, it's crazy how much smoke can coat everything with a thin sludge.

On the topic of pets... I'm SEVERELY allergic to cats. So bad that if you have a cat, I'll start sneezing and getting puffy eyes just by standing within a few feet of you for more than 30 minutes. And cat dander is VERY difficult to completely remove. I'm not sure if I would pass on an amp that had cats crawling on it, but it would be a consideration for me. My allergies are bad enough without adding a possible source of irritation.

I'm the same with dogs, could never buy used gear from a dog owner without having swollen eyes and a streaming nose every time I used it lol.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Wait? What???
Some of you have gear that doesn't have a coating of dope smoke on it? I seem to have wandered into a boyscout gathering.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
pot smoke is different... cigarette smoke just stinks.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
I owned a '74 Twin Reverb for about 7 years. The smell of stale cigarette smoke was always present when I played it. The first year it was really strong.
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
I thought this was going to be a thread where you post pics for your pets with your gear. GG&A, I am disappoint.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
i've had pets around my gear since the beginning and haven't had any real issues. you have to make sure the cats don't use the amps for scratching posts. my dogs never seemed to be interested in being by the gear at all. sometimes dust and fur could be an issue so keep your gear reasonably clean.

Cathbard i have a Turkish Van myself. mine is a proper one with orange on the head and an orange tail. very nice cats.
Quote by AtaBorMan
I thought this was going to be a thread where you post pics for your pets with your gear. GG&A, I am disappoint.

Make one and when I get my camera working (now that I know it's safe. Thanks guys) I'd contribute.
As odd as it may seem that's something I would like to see.
I'm gonna try to get some pics when I get home to add to that thread
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
I bought a guitar that belonged to a chain smoker. The guitar was fine but all the fabric in the hard case smelled like cigarette smoke and something else that just made you sick to open it.. I threw two of those air fresheners you can get at target in the case and kept it closed (guitar stayed out) for 2 weeks and now it smells great. Maybe this helps people with equipment that stinks.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by zilant
Sometimes when I look at stuff on ebay or craigslist things will say "smoke free/pet free enviroment".

I live in a fairly small apartment and my mom smokes (though not in the room where my gear is) and I have a small short-haired cat (stays almost exclusively in teh room where my gear is) and was wondering how bad, if at all, these affect my stuff.

Also, My cat has a habit of using my 5150 combo as a giant steppnig stone to get up onto the windowsill. is this bad for them amp? I'm just sick of trying to shoo her away and don't want to waste my time if it isn't that big of a deal.

If the amp doesnt have a fan, nothing to worry about.

My PC has several high speed fans to keep its innards cool while I game. It needs to be cleaned out once every two months- vents get clogged with dog fur.

Since everyones showing off pets, might as well do the same.
Mr. Bill's $4000 bed. He put a nice scratch on the handle before i started covering it with a towel.

Last edited by leavehercrying at Jan 28, 2012,
I'd never let my dog on top of my Diezel. Though my dog is also 50 lbs and the Hagen is 4 feet above the ground.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
if i had a cat and it sat on my engl, it would get a quick punch. and then probs a few kicks.
Quote by rokket2005
if i had a cat and it sat on my engl, it would get a quick punch. and then probs a few kicks.

And now we know why you don't have a cat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cats are some of the most loyal friends I've ever had. Far beyond the loyalty of any human. No one ever cuddles with me.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by rokket2005

I could never do that...
I've had cats attack my little sibling for no reason when she was two. Cats have little to no respect for anything in my experience, and anything that claws and bites my sisters get whats coming to them.
Your sister had no respect for the Cats!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2

Believe it or not, I stopped kitty from using my Orange as a scratching post.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 29, 2012,