Hi all i'm using the TH30 and a 2x12 indoors. I started off on the 7w mode with the clean volume at 9 oclock and the dirty volume at 9 oclock with the gain at 2 oclock. The amp sounded ok at this volume but now i am playing the amp on 30w with the volume between 10 and 12 oclock on both channels with the gain still at 2 oclock and it sounds fantastic but it is very loud. How loud do you guys run these kind of tube amps and do you use ear protection, thanks,,,Paul.
Isnt that more of a personal preference thing?
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by Basti95
2 loud = 1loud + 1loud

problem solved.

this man knows his stuff
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
ear protection? i developed pieces of metal receivers instead of ears over these years..
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Its too loud when you live in the middle of nowhere and the neighbours complain

(never actually happened to me and i dont live in the middle of nowhere)
if you can't deal with it it's t loud plain and simple. to get optimum sound from a tube amp they should be cranked some. having said that you should be able to get an acceptable sound at a volume you can live with. it might not be the absolute best but that's the way it goes.

i do live in the middle of no where and could run 2 or 3 full stacks with 100 watt heads on 10 if i wanted to. it's nice to be able to crank it but not really necessary. i keep my 50 watt 1 x 12 at maybe 2 or 3 when no one is around and that is more than enough. i usually don't get past 4 live.
are you playing by your self or in a band?
Jimi always cranked everything up because he felt that was the best sound HE wanted. Its up to you. I feel as long as your not drounded out by the drummer your good. Sometimes the bassist will try to drown you out too. Then its a battle of who can be the loudest.

What ever sounds good to you and the type of sound you want. Is my answer
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
it's probably too loud when the people down the street complain.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
If it's too loud, you're too old.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by paul w1
Hi all i'm using the TH30 and a 2x12 indoors. I started off on the 7w mode with the clean volume at 9 oclock and the dirty volume at 9 oclock with the gain at 2 oclock. The amp sounded ok at this volume but now i am playing the amp on 30w with the volume between 10 and 12 oclock on both channels with the gain still at 2 oclock and it sounds fantastic but it is very loud. How loud do you guys run these kind of tube amps and do you use ear protection, thanks,,,Paul.

OSHA standards require hearing protection at prolonged exposure to 80 dB, which is not really that loud, your amp can make over 100 dB easily. evidently, the prolonged exposure is what is more damaging to your ear.

ear plugs are a troublesome with musicians. many 'better, heavy duty' industrial ear plugs tend to heavily cut the frequencies that most musical instruments operate in. this makes it pretty hard to hear your music, and feel like you are responding. there are makers that produce ear plugs geared more toward musicians, that don't cut critical frequencies quite as liberally.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
There is no such thing...
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
My Marshall JVM410h with the master on about 5 is ridiculously loud through a 4x12. I had to stop because I was scared for my ears...
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Thanks guys for most of the answers, no drummer i just play with friends at home. I only crank it when i'm on my own. I do live in a detached property but my neighbours can here me play when they are inside there homes but they don't mind. The only reason i asked was because i don't want to damage my hearing. Without ear protection i think i'm as loud as i should go.
hearing loss usually happens over time. it won't be something where you'll go - wow that was loud I think I just lost some hearing. also, you don't need a 100 watt amp to be 'too' loud. 5 watt amps are loud too. common misconception.

if your ears are ringing the next day - that is one sign it was too much.
Quote by silly6-string
are you playing by your self or in a band?
Jimi always cranked everything up because he felt that was the best sound HE wanted. Its up to you. I feel as long as your not drounded out by the drummer your good. Sometimes the bassist will try to drown you out too. Then its a battle of who can be the loudest.

What ever sounds good to you and the type of sound you want. Is my answer

This. Every band practice I was ever in finished WAY louder than it started. It all starts out relatively loud. Then one guy can't hear himself as well as he'd like, so he bumps his volume up. Then he starts drowning out the other guitarist, so HE bumps his volume. Then the bass player bumps up to hear himself. Then the drummer starts beating the skins harder so he can hear what hes doing... the smaller the space, the worse it is usually because everything kinda mushes together.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
It's too loud when you can't difference between notes because you're playing a maxed out mesa rectifier halfstack and another marshall halfstack in your basement, i.e. my old band.
no that just sounds like your scooping your mids.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
no that just sounds like your scooping your mids.

They never scooped their mids. They played it so loud they had to mic the bass drum just to hear it, and this was in a very small enclosed basement. It was completely retarded in my opinion.
Everything louder than everything else.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks again guys i think i will just wait for my ears to bleed; then i will know.
Get married, have kids. "Too loud" is something that will be defined for you. You wont be in any doubt. I guarantee it.
Quote by deano_l
Get married, have kids. "Too loud" is something that will be defined for you. You wont be in any doubt. I guarantee it.

I can agree with this, I have learned firs hand. I am told my accoustic is too loud on many occasions.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
An old cunt neighbor bitched when I had my amp at 1.5 so if it happens again I'm turning it to ten show the un ****able bitty what loud really is.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Jan 28, 2012,
I use them loud when I'm out gigging, as nature intended.

Indoors I can't usually be arsed with tube amps at all - I use Amplitube/AcmeBarGig through my monitor speakers, or a little modelling combo (Vox AD30). So, very quiet.
The neighbours tell me that when I play my little amp (the 18W'er) they can hear me a block away. Is that too loud? Well, they haven't complained at all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Phoenix V
It's only loud if it goes to 11

Mine goes to 12...

Really it does.. Peavey Windsor Half stack...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
If you get some good ear protection you could turn it up even louder and not have to worry about hurting yourself.
Think about it....
Joe Satriani isn't a man, but a god.
Quote by darkwolf291
You're thinking of Bugera.
No, I would never light a Bugera on fire, because a Bugera actually sounds really good, unlike an MG. The Bugera would just light itself on fire.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Jan 29, 2012,
!. your ears hurt
2.you get that effed feedback when you plam mute for a 1/4 second
3.your speakers start to smoke.
What the hell!!!