Anyone ever play one? I see Halo is coming out with a really nice new one and I'm curious on your thoughts. Scale length is 27", suggested tuning is standard B. Do these guitars sound as though James Earl Jones was talking thru the amp? I love a low, dirty, bassy sound with some grit, a la Neil Young. I was actually attracted to the guitar by the pix and then read the description only to find out it was a Baritone.

Much appreciated.
inb4 'lulz get a 7 string lulzzzz'
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Baritone scale lets you tune low without having to use extra fat strings (I tune to A standard on a 25.5 scale with 14's. One bassist I know once asked me why I was putting bass strings on a guitar ). They also sound somewhat darker than guitars with shorter scales, though this is subjective.

Listen to Nevermore, Animals as leaders, Tesseract etc to listen to what B and lower sound like.

Suggested songs- for distorted sounds- Tempting Time, F(r)iend, Deception, The Dark Eternal Night, These Walls.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jan 28, 2012,
Stienberger has a baritone that has a sliding neck that converts from a baritone all the way to a 22 scale and also has a bridge that steps tuning 4 steps
Yeah they are cool, but similar to GS LEAD 5, I use a Gibson Les Paul (24.5 Inch scale) with 14's and I play in a post-rockish group tuned down to B standard. Before buying a baritone scale guitar, buy some thick strings and tune down low to see if you love the sound.

Neil Young plays a Les paul and I'm pretty sure he just uses an octave pedal and a fuzz pedal to achieve this sound, meaning he doesn't tune down at all....
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Baritone scale lets you tune low without having to use extra fat strings (I tune to A standard on a 25.5 scale with 14's. One bassist I know once asked me why I was putting bass strings on a guitar ). They also sound somewhat darker than guitars with shorter scales, though this is subjective.

Listen to Nevermore, Animals as leaders, Tesseract etc to listen to what B and lower sound like.

Suggested songs- for distorted sounds- Tempting Time, F(r)iend, Deception, The Dark Eternal Night, These Walls.

Actually guitars with longer scales are generally brighter sounding.
The longer scale means you can use a lighter string to achieve a certain frequency. For example, I have my high E string at 27" as an .008, whereas for the same tension at 25.5", I'd need to use a .009 at Eb. That's why I can use really thin gauges but still have them sound coherent and snappy without being floppy.

Some people like to tune their longer-scaled guitars with heavier strings though so the strings have more tension and sound like a cross between a bass and a guitar. If you want a clearer, brighter sound, go for the longer scale length. If you want a clearer, but darker sound, like James Earl Jones talking through an amp... go for the longer scale length and get thick strings.

I'm quite biased and would recommend as thin as you can go with your desired tension though, so it's up to you. Thin strings + longer scale = awesome in my book.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Levi79
Damn! I was just about to come in here and put "Just stop being a pussy and get a 7."

He's a pussy if he plays anything less than an 8
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.