I need a strap for my acoustic guitar. A local shop has a DR padded leather strap for 40 bucks. Is this a good deal, or could I do better online? If going online only saves me a few bucks, I'll just support the local guys and buy there. I've already decided I want a leather strap, I just don't know how much to spend.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
I got this cheap fugly 'police line' one for like 6 bucks. You can probably get the same strap in just pure black for like 8. It's not leather, but it's not going to break or anything anytime soon.
£3.99 from my local music store. A strap is a strap. They all do the same job. Just get straplocks and you'll be fine.

And leather straps are a nice idea, but they are really annoying. They tend to pull on your clothes when moving around.
Here in the UK, padded leather straps usually cost about £40 so it sounds like that's a good price.

I have seen them cheaper online, but I once made the mistake of ordering one that was particularly cheap and it was terrible quality. I have bought a couple online that were OK though.

My opinion: You won't save that much, you won't know for sure what you're getting, and if you don't support your local shop you don't know how long it's going to be around for. There used to be about 7 or 8 shops within about 10 miles of my house, now there's only 2.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If your heart is set on a leather strap and you like the one in the shop, then go for it. That seems to me like quite a low price for a leather strap as long as it is good quality.
Doesn't have to be expensive. I got a leather one and a synthetic material of which I'm not sure the name of.

Wide straps will distribute weight better. The buttonholes are important too, they have to be durable. As the other guy said, leather does grip your clothes, which is a good point I never considered.

I would spend up from 10-20 quid. Depending on the value.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll try the strap before I buy it to make sure it won't pull on my clothes too much. While I like strap locks (got some on my electric), I don't think I can use them on my acoustic because the output jack is in the strap button.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
I spent about Au$50 on a 3" two ply leather strap (leather and suede) to use on my double neck because it was such a heavy guitar. I don't have that guitar anymore and the strap found its way onto my Iceman. It's overkill on my Iceman but it's still just oh so comfy. I suffer from an old motorbike injury where I dislocated my shoulder. To me "a strap is a strap" is a load of bollocks. Wide leather straps are good and worth the money. My other straps are 2" leather ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I spent about Au$50 on a 3" two ply leather strap (leather and suede) to use on my double neck because it was such a heavy guitar. I don't have that guitar anymore and the strap found its way onto my Iceman. It's overkill on my Iceman but it's still just oh so comfy. I suffer from an old motorbike injury where I dislocated my shoulder. To me "a strap is a strap" is a load of bollocks. Wide leather straps are good and worth the money. My other straps are 2" leather ones.

Looks like we agree on some things

I have padded leather straps on most of my guitars varying between 2.5" & 3". I find them far more comfortable than the guitars I just have normal straps on.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Well you can't be wrong every time. Occasionally even you have to get something right.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i pay around 20-40 euros for my straps.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
I'd say 40 is pretty average for a good strap. I Paid $48 for a very nice strap and it's still kicking 4 years later.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I have a 3" padded leather strap I paid $75 for, and it is awesome.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I love the ClipLock straps from DiMarzio. They're like 15 bucks. While I'm not against purchasing an expensive strap, I haven't felt the need.
Look around you'll find some good deals, I got my harley davidson leather strap for 30 bucks, it's worth around 130
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
I've always wanted to try a strap made out of a kangaroo's tail. One day I'll make one, I reckon they'd be mighty comfy. Fur on the inside for comfort.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by GaryBillington
if you don't support your local shop you don't know how long it's going to be around for. There used to be about 7 or 8 shops within about 10 miles of my house, now there's only 2.

so "do as i say, not as i do"?

fwiw those dangleberry music italian leather ones are really nice for about £15. really nice soft leather.

actually the thing i don't like about leather straps is it's hard to get the length exactly right. with the cloth ones you can get it bang on. i still use leather on heavier guitars, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by IMtBike
I need a strap for my acoustic guitar. A local shop has a DR padded leather strap for 40 bucks. Is this a good deal, or could I do better online? If going online only saves me a few bucks, I'll just support the local guys and buy there. I've already decided I want a leather strap, I just don't know how much to spend.
"Strap is strap" That isn't actually true. I once had a cheap strap and I thought "strap is strap". But then I bought one for about 50-60$ and I promise you: it is really worth to buy a "good strap". Much more comfy to practice and play gigs. I think you should go for it
Two words: Hypnotic Straps
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
3" padded leather straps are probably a bit of overkill on an acoustic. On my acoustics I just use cheapies.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dave_Mc
so "do as i say, not as i do"?

Was in one of the remaining ones yesterday
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Was in one of the remaining ones yesterday

just kidding
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GaryBillington

I have padded leather straps on most of my guitars varying between 2.5" & 3". I find them far more comfortable than the guitars I just have normal straps on.

I use plain leather of at least 2.5" too - really takes the edge off a heavy Les Paul.

My straps are handmade by a small leatherworking company right here in my hometown. A nice 3" black leather strap is about £10 delivered, and one of those has lasted me hundreds of gigs.
I used to have lots of fancy Planet Waves, Levis etc but I'd much rather have a higher-quality product made in my own country.

My straplocks are the classic 'Grolsch bottle' design, cost me maybe £4 in total (includes two free beers)
If you are a full on gigging musician then you will need to shell out on a strap.

however, I dont believe you are (correct me if im wrong) so any old mylon strap will do. If you are gigging heaps then yes, you want to shell out on a high quality strap and straplocks.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by kyle62
I use plain leather of at least 2.5" too - really takes the edge off a heavy Les Paul.

My straps are handmade by a small leatherworking company right here in my hometown. A nice 3" black leather strap is about £10 delivered, and one of those has lasted me hundreds of gigs.
I used to have lots of fancy Planet Waves, Levis etc but I'd much rather have a higher-quality product made in my own country.

My straplocks are the classic 'Grolsch bottle' design, cost me maybe £4 in total (includes two free beers)

do you have a link for buying those straps? £10 is pretty darn good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I got this cheap fugly 'police line' one for like 6 bucks. You can probably get the same strap in just pure black for like 8. It's not leather, but it's not going to break or anything anytime soon.

$10.00 at GC. I got one for my first strap. TS, it depends on how much you really value your guitar, and your comfort. For my first strap, on a relatively cheap guitar, I spent $10.00. For my slightly more expensive Prestige, I spent $60.00 on a Franklin leather/suede strap (4" wide). I then added strap locks. Now I just switch straps around on my guitars as they all use the same strap locks.
I just use a normal, plain, blue Levy's nylon strap... has worked fine and I've been using the same one for over 10 years now.
Whenever I get a strap, I get a Jack Daniels strap...I really like them. They're very comfortable (wide strap; padded). I think I usually get them for £20 or so from the local music shop.

Edit: I get this one , but I wouldn't buy it online...it's far too expensive compared to the music shop.
Last edited by HenryB at Jan 29, 2012,
$3 for planet waves grey strap. i spent more and got another one but its just too much material i like the $3one better
Quote by Duv
+1

Those Dangleberry ones you mentioned look quite nice as well.

yeah, the grained leather ones are the really soft ones (nothing wrong with the other ones, but the grained ones are where it's at). really nice. Far nicer than the £20 levy's ones i've bought (which aren't bad or anything, just the dangleberry ones are nicer for less money).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a leather strap on my PRS, and Ernie Ball nylon ones for like $10 for my other guitars.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.