Learned a few piano chords to play a couple Warren Zevon songs. Learned how to play the song Hasten Down The Wind. I'd like to record a cover of it, but I have a really awful recording setup. A pair of Behringer headphones, and my laptop with Audacity on it. All I have for a keyboard is an old Yamaha PortaSound PSS-140. Any idea how I can get a bit better sound recording?

Quote by Mainer
Learned a few piano chords to play a couple Warren Zevon songs. Learned how to play the song Hasten Down The Wind. I'd like to record a cover of it, but I have a really awful recording setup. A pair of Behringer headphones, and my laptop with Audacity on it. All I have for a keyboard is an old Yamaha PortaSound PSS-140. Any idea how I can get a bit better sound recording?

If your keyboard has a midi out, your could connect it to your PC with a Midi to USB cable, and then use VST's for the sound.
For a piano sound I'd recommend 4front piano, if you want to have something that's free. Some people don't like it because it doesn't have a very clean piano sound, it sounds more like a older piano, that's in not so good shape. (It reminds me of the piano at my parents home, so I like it)
If you are willing to spend around 100€ you could also get 4frontTruePianos, Pianoteq or similar software. They have a lot more features and a better clean piano sound that works better in a mix than the free 4frontPiano.

If you want to use VSTi you also need a DAW. (Audacity doesn't support VST as far as I know)
Reaper is Shareware so you can use it for free. The licence agreement says you have to purchase a key after 30 days of evaluating but the version still works fine after the 30 days (If you want to record stuff more frequently you should really consider buying a license for Reaper, Cubase, Sonar or whatever you prefer)
Be careful, a lot of yamaha pianos are quite specific about which MIDI cable you use. (I think the UX16 is the only one, and retails around £40)
yep
Quote by kaneorsomething
Be careful, a lot of yamaha pianos are quite specific about which MIDI cable you use. (I think the UX16 is the only one, and retails around £40)

Yes, and my Boss multi effects processor should've been only powered by roland or boss adapters, I plugged in a visual 1 spot and it worked perfectly.
EVERY cable has the same sort of electronics inside of them.
That's why I don't need seperate usb cables for every product I use.
Quote by liampje
Yes, and my Boss multi effects processor should've been only powered by roland or boss adapters, I plugged in a visual 1 spot and it worked perfectly.
EVERY cable has the same sort of electronics inside of them.
That's why I don't need seperate usb cables for every product I use.

I think you misunderstood. For some reason, a lot of the Yamaha pianos simply will not work correctly with non-Yamaha MIDI cables.
yep
Quote by kaneorsomething
I think you misunderstood. For some reason, a lot of the Yamaha pianos simply will not work correctly with non-Yamaha MIDI cables.

Ow lol, I thought you meant as in the factory says you must only use yamaha cables.