Page 1 of 2
Let's take a scenario like this...

A guy who goes to the gym a lot and practises martial arts is obviously quite capable of beating up a regular guy. If he is acting like a dick and someone tells him to f**k off, this guy just responds with: "want me to beat you up?" or something similar. A normal bloke couldn't really do anything in this position, exept ignore him and flee from the scene. Should they have engaged physical rumble, (with obvious outcome) the fit guy would seem very "tough and manly" to most people.

This is an issue to me. Sometimes people are just dicks and I might say something not very nice (but deserved). I don't think I'm weak or something. I'm actually quite fit (not HUGELY muscular, morelike a good runner+skiier+allround ok). I just don't want trouble. This is the dilemma.

I personally don't see anything respectable in beating someone up or being tough like that. Of course if you like to go to the gym and are good at martial arts, then thats a great thing! Unless you misuse your capabilities. The problem is that some (a lot) people obviously think thats really tough and manly etc.

Now the scenario could be so, that the guy has total "right" (social acceptability) to kick someones ass. Would you then think it's morally/socially correct? Just because you can kick someones butt, doesn't mean you are allowed.

Opinions about this dilemma?

Discuss.

EDIT: Short but simple (addition): What is the measure of manliness?
Last edited by fc89konkari at Jan 28, 2012,
No, I don't think it's right that just because you are superior in close quarters combat you are socially allowed to beat everyone up. If that was the case I wouldn't do anything but beat people up.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
See sig.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Kensai
No, I don't think it's right that just because you are superior in close quarters combat you are socially allowed to beat everyone up. If that was the case I wouldn't do anything but beat people up.

lol @ "close quarters combat" = fighting
My God, it's full of stars!
My uncle Ben once said to me

"With great power....comes great big electricity bill"
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig
My uncle Ben once said to me

"With great power....comes great big electricity bill"

Your Uncle Ben once told me, "Use the Force".

Back on track, no it's jot right, but it's going to happen regardless. TS you have two options, one, become ripped and be able to beat these types up, or become massively passive resistance and wear a towel. If he beats you up then people will know hes a douche.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Dreadnought

Guess it's a different translation from swedish... jerk.
Another point that I forgot to mention in the OP (and will edit into it now) is that I was having this discussion with a friend of mine earlier and I told him that "that isn't a measure of manliness". He then asked me "what is the measure of manliness then?" and that's what I'm also asking you now.

What is the measure of manliness?
I think that's why they invented guns. If wars were fought today with hand to hand combat, nobody would ever get shit done.

Quote by fc89konkari

I don't know how you could measure it. Because there will always be exceptions.

For example, say you wanted to measure it by how many women a man has dated. There's probably some man somewhere who has never dated a woman in his life and yet he hunts for his own food and builds his own house, deals with wolves and shit.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Jan 28, 2012,
Quote by Dreadnought

you rarely post anything that isn't 'look at me i'm an army man'.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
If we're discussing traditional "morals", physical violence shouldn't really be acceptable. Then again from a historical standpoint, the "an eye for an eye" philosophy has been very strong since the dawn of time and continues to be so today, although it has been declining as violence is not considered within proper decorum.

Exploiting your own physical capabilities to settle disagreements with "You wanna fight about it?" when you're obviously wrong in an argument, situation, etc. is pretty lame, personally, however many circles of immature young people will cheer this notion as an end all to disagreements, unfortunately.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by fc89konkari

it's the mass of your penis / your height * amount of chili you can eat without crying like a pussy.
Quote by RubberPuppiessu

This is also true It's like "we get it you were a green beret or something in Afghanistan and you murdered a haji with just a spoon."
DUN DUNUN NUNUN
Quote by fc89konkari
RE

DUN DUNUN NUNUN
Quote by fc89konkari
SPECT

DUN DUNUN NUNUN
Quote by fc89konkari
WALK!

WHAT DID YOU SAY??
Quote by Kensai
Guess it's a different translation from swedish... jerk.

But aren't you a self-proclaimed.... American.
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jan 28, 2012,
Quote by Dreadnought
But aren't you a self-proclaimed.... American.

A bit, but especially on football sundays
Quote by RubberPuppiessu

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Basti95
DUN DUNUN NUNUN

DUN DUNUN NUNUN

DUN DUNUN NUNUN

WHAT DID YOU SAY??

RIP Cobain
Absolutely not. Learning martial arts is 90% of the time about self defence.

Anyone who uses martial arts as a tool in their argument should be kicked out of their dojo for breaching the contract with their master.

Those were the rules I had to follow, and I never said to anyone "want me to kick your ass?"
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Quote by Tessalate
Absolutely not. Learning martial arts is 90% of the time about self defence.

Anyone who uses martial arts as a tool in their argument should be kicked out of their dojo for breaching the contract with their master.

Those were the rules I had to follow, and I never said to anyone "want me to kick your ass?"

That's very respactable as a principle.

Tbh I don't know (I just don't know), but would you consider mixed martial arts one of those that should follow these principles aswell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts

Thanks!

EDIT: The original argument also included people without any real training.
Mixed martial arts isn't a martial arts, its a sport...

but, there are schools out there that teach mma, but If I'm right, they follow the same rules of self defence.

My point is just that if anyone is given the opportunity to improve themselves in their fighting capabilities, they need to understand that they should never use it in any other way besides either sport or self defence.

Threatening people because you know martial arts is no different from carrying a bat around and threatening people. In fact, in my country, if you attack anyone and you're a black belt, it's considered assault with a weapon.

Quote by RubberPuppiessu

I'm not an army man
Any physical engaging to achieve nothing but your hapiness and an increase in ego is retarded, it shows you have no mental power to stop yourself from doing what your testosterone and ego say.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
With great power comes great probability that you're going to turn into a total cunt.

Learn martial arts and defend yourself, TS.
Quote by Dreadnought
I'm not an army man

be confused and slightly offended of my ignorance regarding whatever armed force you're a part of (rangers?) but it really doesn't matter to us normals
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
be confused and slightly offended of my ignorance regarding whatever armed force you're a part of (rangers?) but it really doesn't matter to us normals

Ah, you mean mortals. Gotcha!
I'm a pacifist...
I don't like fighting.
The toughest thing I would do is act like I'm not and hurl insults at some dooshbag.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at Jan 28, 2012,
In my situation, hella tall and lankey, if someone wanted to fight me so badly, they actually started fighting me, and i couldnt avoid the fight by any means, i would pull a rick flair, weapon for self defence, like a tree branch, i played a lot of baseball, i could take your head off with one swing, or id use my long arms and choke them, something like a knee to the crotch, and then flee
Quote by Tessalate
but, there are schools out there that teach mma, but If I'm right, they follow the same rules of self defence.

Telling people at an MMA gym that you're gonna go beat others up is signing your death warrant.
im a big guy. i dont fight. if people are really in my face, ill let them hit me, then press charges. anything after that is assault and im well within rights to kick their ass in self defense
Quote by Metallicuh
I'm a pacifist...
I don't like fighting.
The toughest thing I would do is act like I'm not and hurl insults at some dooshbag.

If you don't feel like getting your two front teeth knocked out, I wouldn't recommend doing this.

"Hey I'm gonna go poke this bear in the ass with a stick"
Do you have a gun?
"Nah man, I'm just gonna show him who's boss"

I usually laugh at people who try to pick fights. Haven't fought anybody in years, but I'm 2 for 2 so far.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Eya m8, do u wnt a fukin fite me?

inb4 moca.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I am 3 for 3. Not gonna lie, when I was seven, I got into three fights and won all of them.

One kid got it so bad, he had a bleeding nose. Didn't even flinch. We started laughing over the whole ordeal about an after the fight over some apple juice. Best friends ever since.

Just kidding, he moved away when I was 8.
I too am tall and lanky, and I look like the type that bullies like to pick on

I show em a flying reverse kick, they shit their pants.

Quote by Highway60Bob
If we're discussing traditional "morals", physical violence shouldn't really be acceptable. Then again from a historical standpoint, the "an eye for an eye" philosophy has been very strong since the dawn of time and continues to be so today, although it has been declining as violence is not considered within proper decorum.

Exploiting your own physical capabilities to settle disagreements with "You wanna fight about it?" when you're obviously wrong in an argument, situation, etc. is pretty lame, personally, however many circles of immature young people will cheer this notion as an end all to disagreements, unfortunately.

+1
Page 1 of 2